BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

Is it the runflats I\'m feeling?

Picked up our X35 MSport from PCD Wednesday. Will share that experience in another post.

The only thing that I'm unsettled about is the ride compliance. On seemingly smooth pavement, the car feels like it jiggles with any defect, akin to a bunch of small wrinkles in the pavement. Sometimes, at highway speeds, she's a smooth as could be. But it seems that whenever the roads are less that perfect, she's got the shakes. Even with MSport, I would expect an SAV to respond a bit better to road conditions. I know the suspension isn't that stiff, cause she doesn't hold those corners like the M3 (lol), but I was expecting a smoother ride, at least not with that much feedback from the road.

I've always replaced the wheels on my other BMWs with non RFT, and I am extremely close to doing the same on this one tomorrow, if indeed it sounds like they are the problem.

I have the Goodyear RFTs with the 19"MSport wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I have the same tire/wheel combo, and I am not experiencing any of the problems you are. RFTs always ride a bit harsher than regular tires, but that's the trade-off. I would say rides very well for the combo of RFTs and a SAV. Air pressure correct and not low in any one tire?
      06-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Yes by all means check tire pressure (dealers are famous for getting that wrong) and have the tires checked for flat spots and balance.

If you want a cushier ride you may want to go with 17” wheels rather than 19”, and make sure you are not in Sport or sport+ mode.

I have 17” wheels on mine and the ride quality is excellent. Not floaty like a Lexus, but very smooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Yes by all means check tire pressure (dealers are famous for getting that wrong) and have the tires checked for flat spots and balance.

If you want a cushier ride you may want to go with 17” wheels rather than 19”, and make sure you are not in Sport or sport+ mode.

I have 17” wheels on mine and the ride quality is excellent. Not floaty like a Lexus, but very smooth.
+1

Tires do take mileage to break in.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Steven40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d F25

Have you already replaced to non runflat ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

Not yet. Haven't had time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven40 View Post
Have you already replaced to non runflat ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
Picked up our X35 MSport from PCD Wednesday. Will share that experience in another post.

The only thing that I'm unsettled about is the ride compliance. On seemingly smooth pavement, the car feels like it jiggles with any defect, akin to a bunch of small wrinkles in the pavement. Sometimes, at highway speeds, she's a smooth as could be. But it seems that whenever the roads are less that perfect, she's got the shakes. Even with MSport, I would expect an SAV to respond a bit better to road conditions. I know the suspension isn't that stiff, cause she doesn't hold those corners like the M3 (lol), but I was expecting a smoother ride, at least not with that much feedback from the road.

I've always replaced the wheels on my other BMWs with non RFT, and I am extremely close to doing the same on this one tomorrow, if indeed it sounds like they are the problem.

I have the Goodyear RFTs with the 19"MSport wheels.
I had the exact same thing with 1 of the 3 F25s I've tkane for a testdrive... Hence, this was with the first f25 I drove and at that point I was convinced I didn't want to have a car like this, I was more than dissapointed.
Then later on I did 2 more tests with 2 different F25s and there this issue was not present.
All cars I drove had the 17" rims, so I don't think it's related to the wheelsize.

I feel your pain mate, I really hope you can get this sorted as it is really difficult to explain what's going on, I believe this is an issue with the car, and the worst, this is not a standalone issue.
Most people will propabely not know their car has this issue, they'll just think, damn, this new X3 is not the best

Maybe you should have somebody from BMW drive with you in the car and explain them by experience what you feel as an issue.
Appreciate 0