BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

beige will get stained much, much more faster than oyster, because all the floor carpets and a lot of other places are black with the oyster interior (vs... beige with the beige interior, obviously)

anyway, aren't you getting a Q5 instead ?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by northX3 View Post
beige will get stained much, much more faster than oyster, because all the floor carpets and a lot of other places are black with the oyster interior (vs... beige with the beige interior, obviously)

anyway, aren't you getting a Q5 instead ?
I am still undecided on what I am going to get. My husband has given me until the 9th to figure it out....so I am taking my time. I really think the i4 turbo would have been or might be the answer for me as far as the BMW goes...

I have tan interior in my truck and don't see the carpet as an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #25
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

For me, it also came down to the Q5 and X3. I like the Q5. Its a very handsome car. But frankly, the quality of the drive and the power of the engine in the X3 35i is far superior to that of the Q5 3.2.

It really comes down to what you're looking for. If you want a comfortable, classy, and conservative cruiser, then get the Q5. If you're looking for a sportier luxury SUV, then the X3 is the better choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpath View Post
For me, it also came down to the Q5 and X3. I like the Q5. Its a very handsome car. But frankly, the quality of the drive and the power of the engine in the X3 35i is far superior to that of the Q5 3.2.

It really comes down to what you're looking for. If you want a comfortable, classy, and conservative cruiser, then get the Q5. If you're looking for a sportier luxury SUV, then the X3 is the better choice.
Yep, that's basically what I have been trying to figure out. I have never before had the opportunity to buy a car like this, so I am going to take my sweet time deciding so I don't have any regrets!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #27
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
I am still undecided on what I am going to get. My husband has given me until the 9th to figure it out....so I am taking my time. I really think the i4 turbo would have been or might be the answer for me as far as the BMW goes...

I have tan interior in my truck and don't see the carpet as an issue.
Being an Audi guy for the past ten years I test drove the Q5 first. Beautiful exterior but I was not loving the interior and cockpit. This is fortunate because the dealer told me they are sold out of Q5s "for the year" - sold out in April?! He said I could still place an order but the wait would be months. Hopefully Q5s are more available in your area. The X3 interior is beautiful imho and the drive train sealed the deal. Goodbye Audi!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #28
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmik View Post
Being an Audi guy for the past ten years I test drove the Q5 first. Beautiful exterior but I was not loving the interior and cockpit. This is fortunate because the dealer told me they are sold out of Q5s "for the year" - sold out in April?! He said I could still place an order but the wait would be months. Hopefully Q5s are more available in your area. The X3 interior is beautiful imho and the drive train sealed the deal. Goodbye Audi!
Not that I want to turn this thread into an Audi bash fest, but I agree with you on the Q5 interior. After hearing so much buzz about how luxurious and spacious it is, I was a little underwhelmed. I was okay, but the quality of the leather and the MMI system left me a little disappointed. I prefer the interior of my RX330 to be completely honest.

The X3's interior in comparison represents classic austere elegance.

I do think the the Q5 exterior is very nice. Arguably nicer than that of the X3.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #29
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
I do think the the Q5 exterior is very nice. Arguably nicer than that of the X3.
+1

IMO the Audi Q5 wins for looks hands down but fails on every other point vs the F25 and therefore it never got serious consideration from me in the end

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
+1

IMO the Audi Q5 wins for looks hands down but fails on every other point vs the F25 and therefore it never got serious consideration from me in the end
+1 Agree 100%. White Q5 looks the best IMO although I prefer the X3 in silver to the Q5 in silver (but then I would say that! ) but once you've driven both the X3 and the Q5, there's no contest. Pro sat nav also better than Audi's MMI

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #31
Marisa330i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
I just love the look of this interior, but don't know if I'm nuts to get it with my toddler, our dog and my husband! Anyone have it that can give feedback on its durability and ease of cleaning?
I love the oyster. Had the sand in my 1st two BMWs and it got so dirty! Even new jeans would leave a blue-ish tint to the leather. In the car I have now I have the chestnut and it is great! Very rich looking and doesn't show marks. This being said...when I ordered my x3 I really loved the oyster but opted for the chestnut again since I have a little one on the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #32
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa330i View Post
I love the oyster. Had the sand in my 1st two BMWs and it got so dirty! Even new jeans would leave a blue-ish tint to the leather. In the car I have now I have the chestnut and it is great! Very rich looking and doesn't show marks. This being said...when I ordered my x3 I really loved the oyster but opted for the chestnut again since I have a little one on the way.
Agree the oyster interior looks really great. In my dream world I'd order it. But in real life, a few months after I pick up my new car, I just don't have any interest in fussing about keeping the leather clean. All I want to do is vacuum it once in a while and have it I look good all the time. So black it is. Be honest with yourself and make the best choice for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #33
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

I will clean my leather twice a year, sounds like the oyster needs every other month cleaning and the jeans thing really bothers me! now M-F my wife will be driving it and not wearing jeans but this will be our weekend car for most trips and chances are we will both have jeans on, not really digging the no indigo jeans or newer jeans part, I don't want to worry about them staining the seats, when I spill something on my pants a white paper towel will take the dye off my jeans, so I am sure the oyster seats will stain pretty easily.

Although what about getting a protecting finish for them? like one of the stainguard things, my Merc dealer puts it on all their cars (inside and outside treatment) and it has been easy to wipe down my seats in the C63, even juice stains from the kids, but that is also black leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #34
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

look, order what you want!!! my wife's 2010 Z4 has ivory and I just picked up my 2011 X3 35i Saturday - it has Oyster (Vermilion paint). they are easy to clean - this is the trick, take a bowl of warm water and mix in about 1/4 Woolite. then, dip a white terry cloth towel and gently clean. it takes about 15 minutes tops to do all seats but the driver's is the dirtiest, as always. you will be amazed at how easy and effective it is as the leather will look brand new. I do this every 2-3 months and follow immediately with a good leather conditioner.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #35
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
That's why I always make my passengers take off their pants.

But you could always get a set of these:
Hi, do you have the part# for this?
      05-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #36
Marisa330i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I will clean my leather twice a year, sounds like the oyster needs every other month cleaning and the jeans thing really bothers me! now M-F my wife will be driving it and not wearing jeans but this will be our weekend car for most trips and chances are we will both have jeans on, not really digging the no indigo jeans or newer jeans part, I don't want to worry about them staining the seats, when I spill something on my pants a white paper towel will take the dye off my jeans, so I am sure the oyster seats will stain pretty easily.

Although what about getting a protecting finish for them? like one of the stainguard things, my Merc dealer puts it on all their cars (inside and outside treatment) and it has been easy to wipe down my seats in the C63, even juice stains from the kids, but that is also black leather.
I always used Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Protectant with my sand leather and it did come "cleaner" but did not reach my picky standards.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #37
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
look, order what you want!!! my wife's 2010 Z4 has ivory and I just picked up my 2011 X3 35i Saturday - it has Oyster (Vermilion paint). they are easy to clean - this is the trick, take a bowl of warm water and mix in about 1/4 Woolite. then, dip a white terry cloth towel and gently clean. it takes about 15 minutes tops to do all seats but the driver's is the dirtiest, as always. you will be amazed at how easy and effective it is as the leather will look brand new. I do this every 2-3 months and follow immediately with a good leather conditioner.
If you haven't already, please post pictures in the Vermillion photo thread, I would love to see real life pictures of this combo as its one we are considering. What trim did you get?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #38
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Had the sand in my 1st two BMWs and it got so dirty! Even new jeans would leave a blue-ish tint to the leather.
I'd have thought that new jeans would be most likely to leave blue marks.....

I had sand for 5 years before my 335, it kept pretty clean. I'm hoping Oyster won't be too bad.
      05-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #39
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
hmmmm really? How about Cheap Blue jeans stains?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #40
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Not that I want to turn this thread into an Audi bash fest, but I agree with you on the Q5 interior. After hearing so much buzz about how luxurious and spacious it is, I was a little underwhelmed. I was okay, but the quality of the leather and the MMI system left me a little disappointed. I prefer the interior of my RX330 to be completely honest.

The X3's interior in comparison represents classic austere elegance.

Honestly, I was on the verge of buying the Q5 after going for a test drive about 6 months ago. I didn't even consider the X3 because I had an A4 and loved the handling of audi in snow. That changed when I test drove the 28i. Now for looks, the X3 has a much nicer back then the Q5, and I'm really liking the front now too. When I see the Q5, I just think soccer mom now. I really love the new style of the X3, it just looks a bit more tougher, with it's contours and grilled front. Now after having driven the X3 for a couple of days, I'm happy with my choice, I like the power in the 35i engine vs the Q5. So happy I went with the X3 over Q5 now.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #41
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
Honestly, I was on the verge of buying the Q5 after going for a test drive about 6 months ago. I didn't even consider the X3 because I had an A4 and loved the handling of audi in snow. That changed when I test drove the 28i. Now for looks, the X3 has a much nicer back then the Q5, and I'm really liking the front now too. When I see the Q5, I just think soccer mom now. I really love the new style of the X3, it just looks a bit more tougher, with it's contours and grilled front. Now after having driven the X3 for a couple of days, I'm happy with my choice, I like the power in the 35i engine vs the Q5. So happy I went with the X3 over Q5 now.
I park next to an Audi Q5 every day, and it just looks smaller than the X3, maybe because the X3 looks more muscular. Its not a bad car, but to me performance comes first (unless the car is just horrible looking) and the Audi can't even compare to the X3 35i in any performance measure (handling, power/speed, MPG). Plus Audi never discounts their "hot selling" cars, at least in the US BMW will still give you some sort of deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #42
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
I just love the look of this interior, but don't know if I'm nuts to get it with my toddler, our dog and my husband! Anyone have it that can give feedback on its durability and ease of cleaning?
I had the sand color in my 335 of four years, live in jeans and do constant yard work, never had any issues with stains. I don't wear those dark indigo jeans, prefer the lighter ones.

Had some kind of interior treatment which was very effective and made cleaning easy. My new X3 has the oyster interior and had same treatment done to it. Don't let kids in with markers and crayons and will likely be fine. Food might be the biggest concern with kids.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #43
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I always used Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Protectant with my sand leather and it did come "cleaner" but did not reach my picky standards.
I used Lexol too but it did not clean as well as I would have liked - then, someone in the Z4/e89 forum recommended Woolite fr cleaning and it works great. It will truly restore the new look of the leather; just make sure to follow with the conditioner.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #44
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
hmmmm really? How about Cheap Blue jeans stains?
My wife and I live in blue jeans (really dark ones too) and the Woolite/warm water solution with a terry cloth towel solves all problems.
Appreciate 0