BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #67
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
M5 shares its power plant with the X5M (and is closely related to the X5 50i and 550i/650i). Those seem to sell well.

I don't think you're actually upset that a largely series/production engine is being utilized in the X4M (it makes sense); but rather, that the M2 won't be equipped with a proper M engine (with what that even means, at this point, being a question unto itself).

Me personally- I bet it's a fine power plant, one that will suit both uses well.

The M2 chassis is what should really shine.
That bolded section really gets to the point, and is exactly why I think M has to deliver with the M2 in a big way. I'm repeating myself, but the 1M got a pass because it was such a fantastically fun car to drive. There's a very real risk that the M2 will suffer from the same numbness as other recent M models. I hope BMW figures this out before they deliver the car.

The whole "real M engine" conversation is very frustrating to me. On one side, you've got people shouting down anyone who complains that the N55B30T0 isn't a real M engine. The argument seems to be: "if the performance is there, why complain?" Well, because there is more to a great car than performance.

Back when I drove a MkV GTI, a Nissan Altima V6 had better 0-60 performance. Does that make the Nissan Altima equivalent to a GTI? Hell no! Not if you're a car enthusiast. The experience of driving the GTI was worlds apart from an Altima. Granted, the things that differentiated the GTI from the rest of the automotive world were far fewer than the things that differentiate an M-car from the rest of the pack, but it was that short list of things that made all the difference.

The M2 has one fewer things on its list of differentiating factors. Is that the end of the world? No, of course not. I hope I'm not coming across to breathlessly desperate over that fact. The M2 is still very high on my list of cars that could replace my current M, but I will still lament the absence of the S65 in my life. Sorry of that sounds a little to melodramatic, but that's how I feel about cars. Every time I start my car, I leave the door open so I can hear it. It's that experience that drove me to M. If that erodes too far, I'll go looking elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsault270 View Post
Yes but the M5 and the X5M are full blown M cars. This is an X4 M40i not an X4M.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
X5M is a full blown M car just doesn't sound right. I understand your reasoning, but I bet you would struggle to find many on here who think X5Ms and X6Ms are real M cars.
There's the subjective evaluation of "real M car", and then there's the objective evaluation. If a car is built by M GmbH, it's a "real M car". End of story. You don't have to like a car for it to be a real M car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Also, please everyone stop with the "real M car" crap, as has been said before M=Marketing now, it isn't much different than AMG or S/RS, its just a letter BMW uses to describe something as being "sporty and premium", so if you see someone in a M40i is the first thing you are thinking "its not a real M" LOL, WHO CARES, its the highest performing X3/X4 they offer and that's what should matter.
How about you not act so entitled as to dictate what other people should or shouldn't value in an automobile? I do not begrudge the M-Performance lineup. In fact, I love the fact that BMW have introduced the M-Performance line. I wish they had done it years ago, so I could have driven one!

I don't like the phrasing "real M". It sounds elitist, so I'm going to avoid it from here on. Apparently some people cannot be bothered to be generous in their interpretation when someone says "real M", so we must avoid that phrasing altogether.

My complaint is this: In the past cars developed by M GmbH placed a very high priority on all of the things that automotive enthusiasts held dear. All the components that delivered excellent handling and performance were reworked by M. This meant dramatically upgraded suspension, improved steering response, and an engine that delivered not only performance, but excitement. By using the N55B30T0 in the M2, M GmbH has shown that they are willing to compromise on the last item.

Let's avoid a false dichotomy here. It's all shades of gray. It's hard to argue that a bespoke (or mostly bespoke) engine wasn't a big part of the draw of an M car, even dating back to the E30 M3. Case in point, the US model E30 M3 got a half-ass M-engine, and it's the most overlooked of the M3 lineup.

This is great news for the X4 M40i. I'm thrilled, especially considered the fact that this car is on my list of potential purchases. I just think it's concerning that M GmbH have chosen to forego a special variation of the N55 in the M2 in lieu of a what is becoming a series production engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
This is not the x4m. It's an m-performance x4. That's what people have issues with when using a m-esque engine that is designed for the "m"2.
That's close, but as cSurf pointed out above, it's more the other way around. The drag is that the X4 M40i engine is being used in the M2, rather than the other way around
Pretty sure you meant US E36 M3 that had to be petitioned to come to the U.S. And it got a crap M52 bored and stroked and called an S motor. If we got the S50/52B32 it makes it a another level of ///M-prowess.

Imagine the E46 M3 with a massaged M54 and called S54B30......this is what the M2 is with a massaged N55......

T
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #68
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thanks for dropping the science...

Nice post. Everything isn't always greener on the Porsche side of the fence.
No it isn't and problems continue to mount for the Macan, my favorite thread now is this, really Porsche???---->>http://www.macanforum.com/forum/maca...fferences.html
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #69
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
M5 shares its power plant with the X5M (and is closely related to the X5 50i and 550i/650i). Those seem to sell well.

I don't think you're actually upset that a largely series/production engine is being utilized in the X4M (it makes sense); but rather, that the M2 won't be equipped with a proper M engine (with what that even means, at this point, being a question unto itself).

Me personally- I bet it's a fine power plant, one that will suit both uses well.

M5 and the X5M do NOT share the same powerplant. The M5 uses the TU powerplant. Significantly reworked.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #70
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

A 'real' M car has an 'S' designated engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 03:01 AM   #71
M-Maniac
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 M-DCT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Dear lord, BMW has copied nearly everything from Audi and now the stupid oval exhaust too? No!!!
Thought I am the only seeing this. M4 tail-lights. Angle slashed exhaust tips. etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #72
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M
Quote:

M5 and the X5M do NOT share the same powerplant. The M5 uses the TU powerplant. Significantly reworked.
I hear you- and objectively, it's an incredible power plant. As series engines have improved, M has certainly had less wood to chop when packaging M cars... Nevertheless- I view the S63 and S55 differently than the S85, S65, S54, etc. The later three (and their predecessors, NA E36 not withstanding) were designed and built from the ground up by M while their successors (S55/63) were modified (albeit highly) by M.

And before I get flamed out of existence- if you look at the context of that quote, you'll note that I was highlighting the fact that there's no shortage of demand for M cars with modified series engines (because they're very good).
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #73
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Pretty sure you meant US E36 M3 that had to be petitioned to come to the U.S. And it got a crap M52 bored and stroked and called an S motor. If we got the S50/52B32 it makes it a another level of ///M-prowess.

Imagine the E46 M3 with a massaged M54 and called S54B30......this is what the M2 is with a massaged N55......

T
Shit. Yep, I did mean the E36's US spec S52 (without ITBs). I'll make that edit. Thanks for the catch!
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #74
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I love all the hate on these boards, at this point I would say 50% of BMWs are hated by people here, maybe you should go over to an Audi or Mercedes forum instead...

These cars sell, in the US and overseas, which is why they keep making them and new versions of them. This thing will sell like crazy in certain markets.

I personally like it, wasn't crazy when I saw photos but saw a few in person the other day and thought they looked nice, different (good different) which is why my wife likes them. And for those who say its not "practical", sure it is, the trunk floor area is the same as the X3, it just looses air space at the top and my family loads up our X3 maybe 2-3 days per year, meaning the rest of the time the X4 would work perfectly. My wife likes the higher ride height compared to a wagon or GT, which is why there is a niche for this car, the few thousand people that it fits perfectly for.

All the comparisons to the Macan are amusing, have you guys all seen them in person? personally I prefer the X4 style wise (exterior only), and this M40i will run circles around the Macan S for about the same price, can't compare it to the Turbo as that's $80K once optioned out. I just don't want to deal with Porsche maintenance.

Anyone who loves cars and understands business should understand what BMW is doing and appreciate what they are doing (for future development of their company)

Also, please everyone stop with the "real M car" crap, as has been said before M=Marketing now, it isn't much different than AMG or S/RS, its just a letter BMW uses to describe something as being "sporty and premium", so if you see someone in a M40i is the first thing you are thinking "its not a real M" LOL, WHO CARES, its the highest performing X3/X4 they offer and that's what should matter.
I agree with everything you said except:

"this M40i will run circles around the Macan S for about the same price".

No it will not run circles around the Macan S.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #75
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Hate to pick on you, but this is exactly why people like Mako get aggravated with the "real M" stuff. Whether or not a vehicle is or isn't a "real M" is a matter of manufacture, not opinion. I would respectfully ask that everyone stop using that language in the interest of developing a more nuanced discourse. Everything you said could be restated without that phrasing, and it instantly becomes less of a hot button issue.

To further pick a fight where I said I didn't want to lol I take issue with the entire stance. The XNM vehicles are to standard SUVs what MN cars are to standard cars. What does M stand for? If we trace it back to the very beginning, M took a standard road car and make it in to a superstar. Could the same not be said for the X5M and X6M? They're not real M cars because they're not cars at all, but they are still M made. They both get suspensions developed specifically for the M models, and they both get M engines. They're still SUVs, but they've been given the proper M treatment.

Every seems to take issue with the fact that they're SUVs, but that's a baseless stance from which to make an argument. Ever heard of the European Truck Racing Championships? Enthusiasm for all things automobile knows no boundaries. I have no desire to own a racing semi, or any semi for that matter, but I'm sure Volvo enthusiasts don't begrudge Volvo for making racing semis.

What "makes something M", is what "M makes". If M makes very special SUVs, then very special SUVs are real M. There's far more to be concerned about with regard to the dilution of M's values than the fact that they chose to make class-leading performance SUVs.

Your post are hilarious^

There is no real M-cars anymore, there is no M-division anymore. And ///M... use to stand for Motorsports... and now BMW uses it on their SUV's because of people like you... gullible. Whom believe that "sportiness" comes in a moniker & not from groundwork engineering from special people who are motorsports engineers.

To your point, BMW could easily just use "S" to distinguish trim levels, but instead dilutes and bastardizes their M-brand until it is watered down and meaningless. (135is, is now a M235i... lol)

Nothing you say will change BMW's excessive greed & marketing, it is what we have been complaining about for the last 10 years. Why so many people are now looking at other brands. BMW has not stayed true to themselves, or their long time followers. BMW caters to people who didn't even know they were going to buy a BMW last year...

As it stand, BMW M means nothing except another level of trim. Period!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #76
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
I agree with everything you said except:

"this M40i will run circles around the Macan S for about the same price".

No it will not run circles around the Macan S.
that was an exaggeration of course! my point being the X4 35i is very close to the Macan S right now, add better suspension, brakes, 65-75 more horsepower (unknown extra torque) and it should be able put up better numbers than the Macan S across the board.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #77
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
Your post are hilarious^

There is no real M-cars anymore, there is no M-division anymore. And ///M... use to stand for Motorsports... and now BMW uses it on their SUV's because of people like you... gullible. Whom believe that "sportiness" comes in a moniker & not from groundwork engineering from special people who are motorsports engineers.

To your point, BMW could easily just use "S" to distinguish trim levels, but instead dilutes and bastardizes their M-brand until it is watered down and meaningless. (135is, is now a M235i... lol)

Nothing you say will change BMW's excessive greed & marketing, it is what we have been complaining about for the last 10 years. Why so many people are now looking at other brands. BMW has not stayed true to themselves, or their long time followers. BMW caters to people who didn't even know they were going to buy a BMW last year...

w3rkn, I expect no less from you. Do you still have your BMW? I thought you were shopping 2015 Mustangs (great car, btw).

Last I checked, M GmbH was still a subsidiary of BMW with their own engineering staff and purview over the development of M-cars, or did that change?

I don't see much point in addressing your remarks directly, because they're without any merit. If M were nothing but a moniker, the M3/4 wouldn't come with a unique suspension, engine, and bodywork.

You're welcome to your opinions, but the facts remain as they are. M-cars still punch above their weight.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #78
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
Your post are hilarious^

w3rkn, I expect no less from you. Do you still have your BMW? I thought you were shopping 2015 Mustangs (great car, btw).

Last I checked, M GmbH was still a subsidiary of BMW with their own engineering staff and purview over the development of M-cars, or did that change?

I don't see much point in addressing your remarks directly, because they're without any merit. If M were nothing but a moniker, the M3/4 wouldn't come with a unique suspension, engine, and bodywork.

You're welcome to your opinions, but the facts remain as they are. M-cars still punch above their weight.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #79
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
that was an exaggeration of course! my point being the X4 35i is very close to the Macan S right now, add better suspension, brakes, 65-75 more horsepower (unknown extra torque) and it should be able put up better numbers than the Macan S across the board.
Agreed. Autocar has an excellent (in that I felt it was very fair) comparo of the X4 and Macan S. The Macan ultimately came out on top, but they were very impressed with the X4, and the margin was narrow. I think the X4 M40i should have no problem closing that gap
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #80
elrey21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive35i

I was waiting for pics of this car in hopes that somehow it will be differentiated from the msport version, I really hope these are early prototypes since theres a year left before delivery. Either way im dissapointed that they deviated so much from the concept which looked amazinggggggg. Hoping the LCI does something for this model, also the interiorrrrr is so outdated compared to every other new model on the market right now in regards to how the screen looks and dash proportions, again the LCI should fix this. Good start but BMW can do better especially for the price of this thing. They lease at high rates to compete with the Macan and Evoque price ranges since the buyers are cross buying those models.
      10-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #81
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey21 View Post
I was waiting for pics of this car in hopes that somehow it will be differentiated from the msport version, I really hope these are early prototypes since theres a year left before delivery. Either way im dissapointed that they deviated so much from the concept which looked amazinggggggg. Hoping the LCI does something for this model, also the interiorrrrr is so outdated compared to every other new model on the market right now in regards to how the screen looks and dash proportions, again the LCI should fix this. Good start but BMW can do better especially for the price of this thing. They lease at high rates to compete with the Macan and Evoque price ranges since the buyers are cross buying those models.
Well its the first X3/X4 to get the split rear pipes! but I too hope they give it a new front bumper after all the criticism over the new M Sport fronts. Like you said they have over a year until production begins! tough thing for me is to decide if I will wait for it or not, 4 year warranty/maintenance is up on my X3 October 2015! I may try to work something out with my dealer, trade in the X3 for a M3 in October and have them extend my 335i lease for a few months until the X4 M40i comes in...

That would be a nice garage, M3 and X4 M40i
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #82
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Not my cup of tea, I think the X3 would look better and make more sense. Tough competition in this segment with SQ5 and Macan.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #83
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey21
I think we can suggest with confidence that the wheels will change (those are the optional 19" wheels for the non-M Sport F2x). I would also guess there will be minor trim work in the lower grills (ala m50d) and a painted diffuser (as this one looks cut).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #84
Mako
Rep

old thread, any updates on the M40i? Is there any confirmation the US is even getting it? Hopefully new M steering wheel comes with it and maybe a new color choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #85
//Mike135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340xi MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
old thread, any updates on the M40i? Is there any confirmation the US is even getting it? Hopefully new M steering wheel comes with it and maybe a new color choice.
I don't believe the M40i is coming. BMW has yet to release the start of production for such model to US dealers like they have for the M2, 340i, 328e, x5 40e, ect for the 2016 model. The 2016 X4 begins production in April '15.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #86
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Mike135i View Post
I don't believe the M40i is coming. BMW has yet to release the start of production for such model to US dealers like they have for the M2, 340i, 328e, x5 40e, ect for the 2016 model. The 2016 X4 begins production in April '15.
forgot the thread name but the one that has all the "leaks" listed by date, showed SOP as December 2015 for the M40i, but that doesn't say if its for the US or not...

since they aren't making the X4M this generation I think it would make a lot of sense to have the M40i, especially if the rumored 360-370 horsepower is true, it will give them some sense of demand for a full blown M version and something to compete better with the Macan and new Audi SQ5 when that comes out in 1-2 years.

only problem is it might cannibalize sales from the X6, I know personally my wife and I are looking at the X4 vs X6 right now and if we can get a M40i this December we would buy that for sure, otherwise we might go with the X6.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #87
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Be nice to know if the X4 35i is at least getting the B58 engine this year.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #88
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
On the up side, we've got just under a year left on our X3, and I've been eyeballing the X4 as a replacement. An X4 M40i might be just the ticket!
ugh sad thing is my X3 35i M goes back Jan 23rd and I don't think I'll make it in time for the new engines... such a predicament. I wonder if I can grab a swap a lease car for 4 months until the fun begins, hoping that BMW will still honor my loyalty.
Appreciate 0