BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

iPhone 5S snap-in adapter, software updated needed?

I just got the iPhone 5 snap-in adapter recently released here in the US. Installing is "a snap" but the movies I have on my iPhone 5s, are not registering through the bmw interface.

Do I need to do a software update?

The old iPhone 4 snap-in adapter played with movies just fine, but this new adapter doesn't seem to be functioning as well.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Video is not supported on any of the 5's. It went away when the new connector was introduced.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

That stinks!

Well, heck, that's a huge stinker... I don't use it that much, but it was nice to be sitting at the airport waiting and being able to watch a movie. To be honest, the iPhone screen is much better anyways, the old BMW interface shrunk the screen by about half compared to movies that play through the DVD player or navigation screen for example.

They should bring it back, it's no different from watching a DVD. But I have a feeling, they were under the gun having to get something out there for iPhone 5 users.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

Oh this is fascinating...I just looked and there appear to be TWO adapters for the iPhone 5s. On one of them it advertises the ability to play videos.

Check it out:
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/43...NAP-IN-ADAPTER

BMW Apple iPhone 5/5S Connect Version Snap In Adapter 84212351308 $250.00

The description says "For vehicles with BMW APPS, this adapter is required to fully utilize all features of this option. In addition to the great features noted for Smart Phone integration, it allows you to use the “PlugIn” as well as the “Video Playback” features. "

and

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/26...AP-IN-ADAPTERS

BMW Apple iPhone 5/5S Snap-In Adapter 84212351307 $135

I guess the second one is meant for vehicles prior to 2014 and/or without the "Enhanced SmartPhone integration"?

GENX3, which part number did you get, what is the year of your vehicle and what options do you have on it?
      11-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

I got the $250 one...

The one I purchased was the first one, $250. I double checked the part number to be sure. Although it does say video integration, I haven't been able to get any kind of video to work.

I went ahead and updated my software assuming them had to make some sort of coding change to accommodate the new iPhones, but that didn't change anything.

When ordering the part, I did notice that it was for vehicles produced prior to September 2010. "Only applicable to vehicles produced after 9/2010 and equipped with either Smart Phone Integration (option code 6NF), BMW APPS (option code 6NR) or NBT vehicles." - Still, nada.

Wouldn't it be funny if they were the identical part... Funny in a sad way for me.

I still prefer to have my phone in the "holster" rather than dangling on a tether. I haven't tried the music yet, but I think that was working okay.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

For some technical background, the old 30-pin adapter had direct video output pins (as well as direct analog audio output pins) which BMW would just display on the screen, and that's how the video function worked. Now that the lightning cable has quite a few less pins, the direct audio and video feeds went away. Instead, the software in the car has to get the digital data from the audio or video source on the device and display it on its screen directly. This must be something BMW built in to the new 2014 iDrive, which is why the video function only works on the newer vehicles.

If you have a 5 or newer and you use the 30 pin converter to listen to audio, it actually has a built-in DAC to convert the phone's digital audio signal to an analog one for the vehicle to play. That's partially why those converters are so expensive, actually quite a bit of electronics in there.

It's annoying for sure, but overall a better way to do it and it forces manufacturers to use digital input and their higher quality DACs instead of the phone's built-in DAC which usually isn't as good.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Audio not working either...

That's a good technical explanation. So, is it a surprise that no audio comes through as well? I think through the bluetooth it does, but when I plug the phone into the adapter, it says that it is going to disable the bluetooth function, which then appears to kill the audio as well...

So far, it's not much more than a glorified car charger.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Yes, that is actually a surprise. It should be the same as a USB connection, which does work at least in my vehicle with a regular USB cable.

It is expected to shut off Bluetooth when you plug it in, it does that with USB as well. When you go to external devices does it show up in the list at all?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

It looks as if it's playing, but no sound...

I noticed it does shut off the bluetooth, and it does appear to be playing, I just can't get any sound. I've turned it way up since I've noticed some of the iPhone music and movies played at a lower volume (I had to turn mine way up to hear it with the old iPhone 4). Even when I crank it up, no sound. But the songs are counting down (or up or something).

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

OK you have a '12 X3, which has the CIC headunit.

Mine is a '14 which has the NBT headunit, so my results may not apply to you. I also have all the following options:
6NH Hands-free Bluetooth and USB audio connection
609 Navigation system
6AK BMW Online
6AM Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
6AP Remote Services
6NR BMW Apps
6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
8SC TeleService Activation

I have a 5s and when I connect it to the USB port (I do not have a snap-in adapter), I get a message that it is disabling the Bluetooth connection. However, audio plays fine from the iPhone through the idrive/sound system and I can use the vehicle microphone and speakers to make calls via the iPhone.
      11-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
The one I purchased was the first one, $250. I double checked the part number to be sure. Although it does say video integration, I haven't been able to get any kind of video to work.

I went ahead and updated my software assuming them had to make some sort of coding change to accommodate the new iPhones, but that didn't change anything.

When ordering the part, I did notice that it was for vehicles produced prior to September 2010. "Only applicable to vehicles produced after 9/2010 and equipped with either Smart Phone Integration (option code 6NF), BMW APPS (option code 6NR) or NBT vehicles." - Still, nada.

Wouldn't it be funny if they were the identical part... Funny in a sad way for me.

I still prefer to have my phone in the "holster" rather than dangling on a tether. I haven't tried the music yet, but I think that was working okay.
I found different information from

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...31&startrow=51

They state:

Connect version

Same function as the Media Snap-in Adapter.
Specific to NBT vehicles and support BMW APPS, these include many MY2013 SA 6NF 6NR optioned vehicles and most MY2014 SA 6NR 6NS vehicles. CIC vehicles with SA 6NR and 6NS will not support audio out with the Connect device. These will require the soon to be released Music/Media device which is expected early 2014.

So according to them for the 2011 and 2012 X3 the adapter we need won't be out until next year.
      11-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

My 5 works the same as above - shows Bluetooth disabled then when I use blueto0oth I must establish the connection.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Yup, that sounds about right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
I found different information from

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...31&startrow=51

They state:

Connect version

Same function as the Media Snap-in Adapter.
Specific to NBT vehicles and support BMW APPS, these include many MY2013 SA 6NF 6NR optioned vehicles and most MY2014 SA 6NR 6NS vehicles. CIC vehicles with SA 6NR and 6NS will not support audio out with the Connect device. These will require the soon to be released Music/Media device which is expected early 2014.

So according to them for the 2011 and 2012 X3 the adapter we need won't be out until next year.
That adds up based on what everyone else is writing. So, I paid $250 for the convenience of charging my phone in a cradle but not being able to play music or use the phone while doing so... Actually, I'm not sure, but I think I can use the phone while it's in there. Dog-gone-it BMW engineers, Dang-gone stupid fine print, and finally, blast you iPhone techys!

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Maybe you can return it and get the correct version when it comes out.