BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Why I selected the X3 35i over the Jaguar F-Pace

ENGINE PREFERENCE
I have been very pleased with the N55 engine in my X3. It is powerful and smooth in operation thanks in part to the I6 configuration. The F-Pace uses a Ford-derived supercharged V6 (or a diesel engine which I would not consider). Jaguar has plans to introduce its own turbocharged I6 engine in the next year or so. The X3 35i is within a half-second of the F-Pace 0 to 60 mph and gets 10+% better fuel economy on the highway. The X3 35i is a good trade-off for my driving preferences.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...n-2017--report

RELIABILITY
The X3 35i in the F25 version has been around long enough for most of the bugs to be addressed. The Jaguar F-Pace is a new model from a brand that historically has not been the most reliable. Early reports from F-Pace owners suggest some widespread problems. Consumer Reports rates reliability of the X3 as average and the F-Pace as worse than average.

RANGE
The X3 35i is more fuel efficient and has a larger fuel tank giving it about 20% greater range than the gasoline fueled F-Pace. I often take 700 mile trips and like the convenience of only having to stop for fuel once in the X3 while maintaining a 100 mile reserve. I would experience significant range anxiety in the F-Pace on such trips.

SIZE
I have a narrow parking spot in an underground garage with a concrete pillar on one side and a permanently parked classic Porsche on the other side and a tight turn for entry. My X3 with surround view is easy to maneuver in these tight quarters. The F-Pace is about 6 inches wider and 3 inches longer than the X3 and would be a challenge to park in my garage space.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      10-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

Did you test drive the F-Pace and if so what are your thoughts? Curious what your impressions are of the handling capabilities of the 2 vehicles. Thanks and best of luck with the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
Did you test drive the F-Pace and if so what are your thoughts? Curious what your impressions are of the handling capabilities of the 2 vehicles. Thanks and best of luck with the 35i.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 06:18 AM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

It does seem that the X3 is more practical in terms of size alone. The X3 is a nicely sorted car and I too would be worried about the reliability of the F-Pace.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
It does seem that the X3 is more practical in terms of size alone. The X3 is a nicely sorted car and I too would be worried about the reliability of the F-Pace.
+1
Size and reliability are the deal breaker for me here. Time will tell about reliability.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
Same question from myself. Have you driven the F-Pace?
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

OP must be too busy driving his N55 to bother commenting further on his thread....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I stated the reasons behind the selection of my X3 in the original post. Perhaps because I turn 65 next year, ultimate performance is not my priority. YMMV.

If you desire a road test comparison, there are better sources than I might provide.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
There appears to be an appetite for road test comparisons, which I am unable to provide based on a brief test drive. FWIW, I will provide some data from a source some may disparage, which diverges from that in much of the more automotive specialized media. Consumer Reports Magazine assigned the following road test scores: Porsche Macan S 85 points, BMW X3 28i 82 points and Jaguar F-Pace Prestige 72 points. I would have expected the F-Pace road test score to be superior to the X3 and much closer to the Macan based on other reviews. For those interested, Consumer Reports overall test scores were 76 for the Macan, 74 for the X3 and 60 for the F-Pace.

The Jaguar was the quickest 0 to 60 mph (6 seconds) with the Macan second at 6.4 seconds and the X3 handicapped by the 4 cylinder engine trailing at 7.3 seconds. These figures are slower than some other sources, so CR probably did not attempt a maximum launch. No X3 35i data is available from this source.

In the emergency handling test the X3 was at the top rated very good at 52.8 mph, with the Macan and Jaguar both rated good at 51.1 mph and 50.3 mph respectively. One might wonder if the X3 35i with the heavier front load would be as fast in this test as the 28i.

Both the Macan and X3 were rated very good in accident avoidance while the F-Pace was rated good. In routine handling, the Macan was rated excellent, while both the X3 and F-Pace were rated very good.

The Macan had the best brake stopping distances in 60 to 0 mph wet conditions at 135 feet compared to 138 for the X3 and 139 for the F-Pace. In dry conditions the stopping distances were close with the F-Pace at 129 feet and the Macan and X3 at 130 feet.

I confess that I am puzzled by the relatively low road test score for the F-Pace given the data points summarized above. From reviews in automotive publications, I also would have predicted that the overall score of the F-Pace would top the X3 28i handily and approach that of the Macan. CR clearly weights data differently from many publications.

Another puzzling non-road test comparison arises from the cargo volumes given by Consumer Reports. Most sources report the F-Pace has a generous cargo space and the Macan is tight for cargo. Consumer Reports reports cargo space of 29 cubic feet for the Macan and 28.5 cubic feet for the F-Pace, while the X3 was reported to hold 33 cubic feet. These cargo spaces differ from the manufacturer's specifications. Your measurements may vary.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 10-25-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Barnesy
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d M Sport

I have just bought a new X3 35D M Sport.

As part of my decision process I tested an F-Pace 3.0 Diesel. It was a beautiful car from the outside and felt really quick, but I didn't find the interior particularly luxurious, certainly no better than the X3 I ended up purchasing.

I went with the X3 because it was slightly smaller, much less expensive and just felt a much more nimble car all round. (Oh, and my wife preferred the X3 which was a big factor)

Another factor was customer service. I have previously had a Jag saloon and was coming out of a Land Rover Discovery and the local BMW dealer just felt more helpful and appreciative of the business (immediate followup after the first visit including a video of the actual car I was interested in - it was in stock and unregistered)

I also tested the Macan Diesel S. I expected to love it but actually it felt a bit under powered, it did not put a smile on my face like the X3 (and again more expensive and a long wait).

Lastly I tested a GLC AMG 43 (yes, petrol so not a true comparison). The speed and noise were amazing but I can't stand that stick-on iPad looking thing, there seemed to be less knee room in the driver's footwell, and I couldn't see me living with it.

So mine is Black Sapphire, Media Professional Plus, M Sport Plus, Speed limit display, Mocha Leather, Reversing Camera...
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Thanks MM for taking your time to look up a lot of test data.

When I had lowered my X4 1 1/2" (H&R), I got surprisingly good results re: sidewind sensitivity, steer into a curve, straight forward stability and cornering (20" Pirelli ZERO RFT:s). Chassis comfort was somewhat compromised.

I reported this on the X4 site, but got no response. Handling is a fairly complicated subject, and - especially in the US - not widely discussed.

I have read most US/UK/D car magazines - but not regularily, and I have a mental picture of eg Car and Driver is looking at handling in a very different way than Consumer Reports. For some reason, I believe the major UK magazines have F-Pace on top, and - of course - Auto Motor und Sport has Macan.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #12
supra13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I would generally agree with the assessment except the reliability aspect. It may be the best out of all the options mentioned but the water pump failure really bugs me. BMW couldn't get that right and the part will fail every 50k mile +/-. it was fun when mine took a shit 3 hours out of town and we had to get a very expensive tow.

Really, it's pathetic that a mass manufacturer of vehicles couldn't get something as vital as a water pump right.
Appreciate 0