BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Thule AeroBlade - anyone use yet?

http://thule.com/en-US/US/Campaigns/Thule-AeroBlade

I'm thinking of getting this. They currently have one for the F25 X3 model. Probably the Hang Two surfboard carrier and their Flattop snowboard carrier also..

What have been your choices experiences been?

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

I have not but am really glad you asked because I received an email from Thule detailing this product. It appears to be an ideal product. I bought the BMW cross bars but the front one was too close to the sunroof and it seemed to make a lot of wind noise. After trying to move it back it would not relock so the dealer ordered new ones which I have not picked up yet. I also removed the front cross bar but the back one is still on. If I found the Thule was better I might go with it.

I just tried to configure the Thule and could not-must have done it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
sard
Major
Rep

It's available for sure for the F25. One thing that sucks is both the surfboard and snowboard carrier doesn't use the "T-slot' on the top of the crossbar. Instead they both use wrap around type clamps. The carriers would be more flush looking if it used the T-slot..

I asked the shop what the heck uses the T-slot since they designed it and he said mostly their bike stuff only.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I see the Aeroblade on the Thule site, but when I use their fit guide, the aeroblade doesn't show up. It looks like the Aeroblade is required but separate from the cargo packs which are just the "Foot Pack".

So I would need:
- Cargo Footpack is $400 (460R Rapid Podium Foot Pack)
- Aeroblade cross bars $150
- Cargo pod ~$600-800
?

I'm mostly confused about the footpack. Why is it needed if you have the cross bars already?

I don't know anything about rails so please bear with my questions.
      10-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
sard
Major
Rep

Oh, it's the top option. Their site's thumbnail is inaccurate. If you read carefully the most expensive one says "ARB47 AeroBlade Load Bar Pair". I wouldn't buy from the website. The local store around me says they're 10% cheaper.

Ok so there are three parts to the crossbar. 1) The aeroblade cross bar. 2) The tower that attaches the crossbar to the 'feet' 3) The actual feet that's vehicle specific to grab onto the car's side rails.

Total for all should be less than $400 as far as I know. If it's more than that..fuck that lol.. It's a piece of plastic and aluminum, but I'll call the shop again tomorrow and confirm.

Last edited by sard; 10-03-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
sard
Major
Rep

Ok yeah, the shop quoted me $490.05 tax included for the crossbar/tower/fit kit/ and locks.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Aerodynamic roof bars - seems like marketing over physics to me.

The roof bars are going to have stuff attached ... like bike-carriers, surfboards and roof boxes. Can't really see the aerodynamic profile of the roof bars making a difference with that stuff on!

I guess if you drive around with just the roof bars on it might make a tiny difference ... but why strip the other stuff off and not remove the bars as well?!?

I've just ordered a pair of Atera SIGNO AS bars and I'll post pics when they arrive in the next couple of days. They were 2/3 the price of the standard Thule aero bars and 1/2 the price of the BMW branded ones.

I'll be using them to mount existing Thule accessories: an Atlantis 600, two ProRide 591 cycle carriers and (less frequently) a snowboard carrier.
      10-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
sard
Major
Rep

Let us know how they go!

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

The Thule blade thingies do look cool ... I was just commenting on the marketing blurb that was linked to
      10-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

if done right, they could be quieter.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
sard
Major
Rep

Just installed the Thule Aerobar. It's pricey as shit, but the quality is good. Here is one quick iPhone pic at night...sorry will post more later.

The two carriers I want is something for 2 surfboards and 4 snowboards. For the surfboard I got this Inno .. low profile, surfboard rests on the pad which sits on the crossbar. Cable straps and it locks! It is also able to hold kayaks, canoes, and some even stick a ladder on it haha. Also has a lifetime warranty.

I'm looking for a good snowboard solution. Thule's latest 4 snowboard flat top carrier is god awfully too long. The shop said their reasoning was for the increase in people getting fatter and fatter snowboards/ski's. Their older model is shorter which I prefer, but has the older mounting hardware.

Appreciate 0