BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
M3 CSL
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Question Which X3 should I buy?

Hi,

This is my first post. I want to buy a X3. I have two choices. I need your advise.

First one: 2005 X3 3.0 for $14,995 an it is 77k miles.

Second one is 2007 X3 3.0si for $17,154 and it is 88k miles

I inserted link to Cars.com site so you can check both cars.

My only concern is I dont want to pay a lot to maintanance.

2005 is old but has less milage and one owner.

2007 is (almost) new but has more millage and two owner.

So, which one would you buy for yourselves?

Thank you for your answers.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Chagrined
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3/X3/XI

Since these are both sitting at non-BMW dealers, they may not know the service history depending on where they sourced them (auction, trade-in, etc). Hopefully you have the opportunity to take them to a dealer for a PPI and maybe the dealer would be able to look up the warranty and service history (this is not definitive due to privacy issues). The dealer with the 2007 vehicle may also be unaware if the car is covered under CPO, which might be uncovered if you take it to a BMW dealer for a PPI. I think the PPI results will give you the best information for you to make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
M3 CSL
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagrined View Post
Since these are both sitting at non-BMW dealers, they may not know the service history depending on where they sourced them (auction, trade-in, etc). Hopefully you have the opportunity to take them to a dealer for a PPI and maybe the dealer would be able to look up the warranty and service history (this is not definitive due to privacy issues). The dealer with the 2007 vehicle may also be unaware if the car is covered under CPO, which might be uncovered if you take it to a BMW dealer for a PPI. I think the PPI results will give you the best information for you to make a decision.
Thank you for your time and answer. What I understand is PPI is a must so what would be the cost of PPI?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Chagrined
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3/X3/XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 CSL View Post
Thank you for your time and answer. What I understand is PPI is a must so what would be the cost of PPI?

Thanks.
If you take it to a BMW dealer, they generally charge around $200 for a pre-purchase inspection. An independent BMW repair facility will charge less but will not be able to look up repair and warranty info/history for you.
Appreciate 0