BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #1607
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyX3driver View Post
Hi Shawn,
316 adde to SALAPA, FA written to the car. Before it, CAFD was not visible. After this I have CAFD_000007CB_006_004_000.
I can open and change values, but there is not any functional change- i.e. all is working like before, and my front cabin button TOEHKI is not functional. Also don't know what function name to activate CIC screen with height opening limit.
Any thougthts??
So you can FDL Code HKFM now with no errors?

Did you allow for an hour before testing the closing functionality?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #1608
CostinLogin
Romania
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 3.0d xDrive M-Pack

Hello again! After a long absence in wich i've been reading and doing only about FSC codes I thought I finaly do some coding on my X3. But I came across with the problem from the picture below when I tried to save CAFD files. Does anyone have any ideea what is missing in there? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #1609
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CostinLogin View Post
Hello again! After a long absence in wich i've been reading and doing only about FSC codes I thought I finaly do some coding on my X3. But I came across with the problem from the picture below when I tried to save CAFD files. Does anyone have any ideea what is missing in there? Thanks in advance.
You need to update your PSdZData. PM sent.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 02:27 AM   #1610
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 (2011), X5 F15 (2017)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
So you can FDL Code HKFM now with no errors?

Did you allow for an hour before testing the closing functionality?
yes, Coding with no errors on the end window mesage. Checked button again this morning- no change.
So let]s make summary until now:
1. Mounted all hardware and wired according to schematics (those printed out from similar car with original 316).
2. Battery connected and all starts worked automatically, except front cabin button (in schematics named TOEHKI and connected to A16 CAS connector A16*1B pin39.
3. On CID no menu screen for opening height limit.
4. Ater this option 316 added to SALAPA and FA written to the car. No any outgoing effect.

Questions- Can I be sure that new FA changed something inside the car?? How to verify, that FA is correctly updated?
I don't know what code value enable CID screen?

Thank you for help.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 05:48 AM   #1611
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yes, Coding with no errors on the end window mesage. Checked button again this morning- no change.
So let]s make summary until now:
1. Mounted all hardware and wired according to schematics (those printed out from similar car with original 316).
2. Battery connected and all starts worked automatically, except front cabin button (in schematics named TOEHKI and connected to A16 CAS connector A16*1B pin39.
3. On CID no menu screen for opening height limit.
4. Ater this option 316 added to SALAPA and FA written to the car. No any outgoing effect.

Questions- Can I be sure that new FA changed something inside the car?? How to verify, that FA is correctly updated?
I don't know what code value enable CID screen?

Thank you for help.
Try also coding CIC and ICM.

You can use .NCD / CAFD Tool, and compare .NCD files from ECU coded with 316 and without so see what FDL's have been chnaged:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=749668

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #1612
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Try also coding CIC and ICM.

You can use .NCD / CAFD Tool, and compare .NCD files from ECU coded with 316 and without so see what FDL's have been chnaged:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=749668
Ok, thank you.
Will check it out and come back later
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #1613
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, thank you.
Will check it out and come back later
So I was able to find:
HU_CICHB > EXBOX 3001 > BACKDOOR_OPENINGANGLE = aktiv
Now height limit setting screen is active.
But still not able to find anything about TOEHKI button.
Button is connected to CAS, but cannot find any value to wake it up.
I believe something is wrong with my coding procedure-
Now I'm chenging all values manually- select known function and change value.
But, correct me if I'm wrong- If I add option 316 to SALAPA, it must update all related ECU's at once for full functionality. How to do this exactly? By TAL??
If I'm there, I don't know what to check in boxes there. Afraid to do something wrong.
I believe I flashed HKFM, I see CAFD, but other ECU's values not changed to work properly with HKFM.

I'm slightly getting lost in this
Can you help a little??
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #1614
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I was able to find:
HU_CICHB > EXBOX 3001 > BACKDOOR_OPENINGANGLE = aktiv
Now height limit setting screen is active.
But still not able to find anything about TOEHKI button.
Button is connected to CAS, but cannot find any value to wake it up.
I believe something is wrong with my coding procedure-
Now I'm chenging all values manually- select known function and change value.
But, correct me if I'm wrong- If I add option 316 to SALAPA, it must update all related ECU's at once for full functionality. How to do this exactly? By TAL??
If I'm there, I don't know what to check in boxes there. Afraid to do something wrong.
I believe I flashed HKFM, I see CAFD, but other ECU's values not changed to work properly with HKFM.

I'm slightly getting lost in this
Can you help a little??
After you add 316 you must VO Code all related ECU's by right-click => code on each one. You do not make TAL for this.

HKFM is the one module where coding changes require car to go to sleep (1 hour) before changes kick in, so testing FDL Codes involves a lot of waiting.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #1615
hkjarral
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black X3 xDrive28i 2014

Need cable + software

Can somebody please send me a link to buy cable and pm me softwares required.

And is there any new step by step guide like 1st post or the same guide should still work ?

Thanks in Advance
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 04:32 AM   #1616
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkjarral View Post
Can somebody please send me a link to buy cable and pm me softwares required.

And is there any new step by step guide like 1st post or the same guide should still work ?

Thanks in Advance
PM sent.

ENET Cable:

http://enetcables.com/

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #1617
rwgreg
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 2021 M sport 20i

F25 3AG Coded.

Quote:
Yes, add 3AG to FA and VO Code TRSVC, PDC, and HU_CIC.
I seem to have a working 3AG reversing camera.

My thanks to Shawnsheridan and Sprollonis without whom I would still be backing into walls. My thanks also to all the other posts which helped too.

A tip for any other newbie coders out there who like me think coding is writing computer software or data, when adding 3AG and the experts say code in relation to SVT files they mean select the item "code" from the right click context menu. No data input is needed. It becomes self explanatory once you actually do it

Shawn the only thing I could not "code" was TRSVC. The context menu was greyed out. I guess TRSVC was added after editing the FA as it was not there in the original SVT files
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #1618
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgreg View Post
Shawn the only thing I could not "code" was TRSVC. The context menu was greyed out. I guess TRSVC was added after editing the FA as it was not there in the original SVT files
You first need to inject CAFD into TRSVC and VO Code it.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #1619
rwgreg
Rep

Which CAFD

Quote:
You first need to inject CAFD into TRSVC and VO Code it.
Shawn, where does this CAFD come from? How will I know if it is the correct CAFD? I still have a lot to learn

Ron
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #1620
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Shawn, where does this CAFD come from? How will I know if it is the correct CAFD? I still have a lot to learn

Ron
Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on TRSVC ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on TRSVC ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

Hopefully CAFD takes to ECU. If not, repeat process using the next oldest CAFD until one takes. If none of the CAFD's take, then you will need to flash TRSVC, but cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #1621
samuel47
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Coding made easy: Step by step instructions for Fxx Series

Coding is for people who want to play with the settings of BMW car software to achieve something more desirable. Coding is not really a programming; it is another name for re-configuring the software of your car. There are limited risks of messing up with your car SW but if you are careful, follow step by step instructions and know and understand what you are doing, it may be OK to go ahead. Never try to guess and do it, be absolutely sure for your steps, clarify your doubts before you proceed. There are experts on the forum who are willing to help you, don't hesitate to ask even a silliest question. Never-the-less, if you want to try new unknown settings which others have not tried, believe me, you are playing with fire.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY.

What is needed for coding:
  1. ENET cable
  2. E-Sys software 3.26.1 with EST token and Pin
  3. psdzdata 54.2
  4. A dedicated laptop with Windows 7 with minimum 16 GB of free space
  5. Backup utility for CAF files (optional), file attached
  6. Useful Cheat Sheet for Fxx, file for F25 attached, others are available in different forums

Prepare your setup:

You can build your own cable or buy from a good source. Use shielded cables only. Cable should be reliable as interruption and electrical noise interference of any kind during coding could be very risky.

Delete unwanted SW and data from your laptop. It may be worthwhile to de-fragment your HD of laptop before installing the coding software as this software will occupy almost 12 GB to 44 GB of space on HD. Use the power adapter to keep batteries charged all the time as installation will take several minutes depending upon the performance of the laptop and data storage media.

Always try to clarify your doubts on forum as it also helps other readers, but you are welcome to contact me directly for any help if that boosts your confidence.

E-Sys Software installation:

Use the following procedure to install software on your laptop:
  1. Installation file for the E-Sys is an exe file whose name is like “E-Sys_Setup_3_24_3_RC_b38445.exe”
  2. Double click on this file and follow the instructions on the screen.
  3. Use default settings.
  4. Once the E-Sys is installed, it will create two folders on C: drive, namely Data and EC-Apps
  5. Copy your procured psdzdata folder and replace empty folder under “C:\Data\”
  6. It will create a desktop shortcut to start E-Sys

Setting up the EST token for E-Sys:
  1. Create a folder EST anywhere on C: drive. You can create under C:\Data and copy your token ( a *.est file)
  2. Launch E-Sys by double clicking its shortcut on desktop. It might take a minute to start, have patience.
  3. Select Options > Settings. Select EST tab.
  4. Click on the browse button with three dots ( … ) and navigate to EST folder C:\Data\EST
  5. Select file "******.est" and click OK to save the location and close the “Settings” window.

(If you have procured your token from an external source, follow additional supplied directions to complete token installation)

Preparation for coding:
  1. It's a good practice, though not a must, to shut off any wireless or Bluetooth service on the laptop. Let just laptop and car talk to each other with no external interference.
  2. As a precaution, disable any firewall on the laptop. I don't like even any anti-virus software as their behavior is not well known, and may interfere with the communication. It’s advisable to disable them.
  3. It is preferred to start with fully charged batteries of laptop and car as no interruption can be tolerated during transfer of data from laptop to Car. For long coding session, a car battery charger may be needed.
  4. Car audio and video drain off the battery fast, so better switch them off during coding.

Connect E-Sys to your Car:
  1. Connect ENET cable between car's OBD port and network port of laptop.
  2. Switch on the ignition of the car, don't start the engine.
  3. You will notice laptop tries to connect to the car. Wait a few minutes until the network icon on laptop shows a Connection with the yellow exclamation point over it. If you don’t see the network icon due to your laptop settings, wait for a minute.
  4. Start your E-Sys on your laptop.
  5. Press connect button on top row of E-Sys to connect car with the laptop.
  6. It opens up a dialog box.
  7. Select the correct TargetSelector for your model of the car, e.g. F025 and not F025_DIRECT for X3 model.
  8. Select "Connection via VIN" and press Connect.
  9. Wait for the Connection message. Click OK. If the connection was established successfully you see the selected target in the status bar at the bottom.

Full backup of Car's configuration files:

It's a good practice to take a full back up of Car's original settings before any changes are made to the car. These files could be used as reference in case it is desired to go back to original settings of any or all features.

Read and Save FA:
  1. Connect E-Sys to your car.
  2. Select "Expert Mode" on the left pane and click on "Coding" button therein. It will display 4 sections/Boxes on the right side.
  3. In Vehicle Order Box (upper left), click on "Read" button, it would display FA of your car under FA List.
  4. Select FA and click on “Save” button. Save as FA_original.
  5. Test button above will show the path of the saved FA file.

Read and Save SVT:
  1. Look at SVT Actual Box (right pane, midway down) and click on "Read SVT" button.
  2. SVT box on left will display SVT of different modules of your car.
  3. Click on the Save button on SVT Actual box and name the saved file as SVT_original.
  4. Text button above will display the path of the saved file.

Read and Save CAFD (ncd) files:
  1. Inside SVT box (left side), you see SVT, containing ECUs and each ECU contains files in expanded view.
  2. Notice that some of the CFD files will have green check marks. These green marked CAFD files are of our interest.
  3. Right click on first green marked CAFD and then press and hold control key on your laptop and click on all other similar marked CAFD files. This way all such CAFD files will be selected for further operation.
  4. Now move to right in “Coding” box and click on "Read Coding data". After codes are read, green icon will change into a folder icon and the files inside will contain the data read from your car.
  5. Check the folder "C:\Data\CAF”, this will contain all the read CAFD files.
  6. Copy and Save all the files in a safe place. These are your original CAFD files.
  7. Alternatively, you can use utility "Copy_CAF_v3.bat", copy it anywhere on your laptop and double click on it to automatically save the files under a Folder "C:\My_CAF_Files" with date and time stamp.

Reading current Integration Step (I-Step) of your car:

It’s good to know the current I-Step of your car as that decides the minimum version of psdzdata that can be used to code your car.
  1. Connect E-Sys to car following the steps given above.
  2. Select expert mode on the left pane and click on VCM button.
  3. On the right bottom box, select “Master” tab.
  4. In I-Steps box, click on “Read” button.
  5. Integration Steps boxes above will be populated with the data. Note down the I-Step (current).

Coding CAFD files:

CAFD files (ncd) contain the setting data/ parameters for each ECU. Modifying the values in these files change the behavior of ECUs.
  1. Connect E-Sys to car and follow the steps to read CAFD file/s to be coded. (You may take help of cheat files to decide which ECU you would like to code and which are the associated CAFD files).
  2. Expand the folder of the selected CAFD file. Right click on the CAFD file and click "Edit FDL". Enter the pin if asked.
  3. Open the module you wanted to edit under “Daten”, click on the Functionen folder, then open the ausgelessen folder of the selected function. It will show the current settings.
  4. Change them as per Cheat Sheet and Save.
  5. To be on the safer side, edit only one ECU at a time.
  6. After making all changes in the CAFD files of ECU as per the cheat sheet for that function, save and go back by pressing top extreme left green arrow "back" button.
  7. Now you can see FA again. Right click on it and "Activate FA". You will see a green active text next to FA. Also FP will open on the right side.
  8. Select the edited CAFD file on SVT box and Click on "Code FDL" in coding box on right.
  9. Coding process will start and should end with no errors.
  10. Take a backup of all the CAFD files again and save in a different folder. Best way is to use "Copy_CAF_v3.bat". Copy it anywhere on your laptop and just double click on it, all will be done for you and files will be saved under a new date time stamped folder.
  11. Great, you coded one module. Disconnect E-Sys by clicking on top Connect button which is showing a red x. You are done.
  12. Test the car for the changed feature. Some features require 15 -30 minutes to get activated where as some are instant and few need you to switch off the and lock the car and unlock and start.

Contact me in case you need any help.
This coding code ,apply for z4 2004?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #1622
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel47 View Post
This coding code ,apply for z4 2004?
No. This is for F-Series only. E-Series is completely different. You need a DCAN Cable, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, and SP-Daten to code E-Series.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:38 AM   #1623
msb100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D F25

Hi,
I have a 2012 X3 30D F25 (manufactured in 2011).
Please send me the link for the software. I just ordered the enet cable online.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #1624
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb100 View Post
Hi,
I have a 2012 X3 30D F25 (manufactured in 2011).
Please send me the link for the software. I just ordered the enet cable online.
Thank you.
PM sent.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #1625
msb100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D F25

Wow.. That was super quick.. Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #1626
rwgreg
Rep

Detect CAF

Quote:

Hopefully CAFD takes to ECU. If not, repeat process using the next oldest CAFD until one takes. If none of the CAFD's take, then you will need to flash TRSVC, but cross that bridge if and when you get to it.
Hi Shawn. Slight problem.

When I try to Detect the CAFs I get a PSdZ error. I suspect because my Data folder does not have the relevant CAFs. Just guessing of course.

When I started this project I was using v.55.4_PSdZData_Lite but kept getting a FA error. I then tried the full version which allowed me to get a working camera but no CAFD for the TRSVC appeared.

The controller module is the later part number 955 rather than the 256 that I ordered. Is it possible this later part needs more up-to-date CAFs?

Hopefully I have attached some pics that may help.

Many thanks for your interest.

Ron
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #1627
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Shawn. Slight problem.

When I try to Detect the CAFs I get a PSdZ error. I suspect because my Data folder does not have the relevant CAFs. Just guessing of course.
It means TRSVC must be flashed.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #1628
hkjarral
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black X3 xDrive28i 2014

Quote:
PM sent.

ENET Cable:

http://enetcables.com/
Thanks Got it