BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Couple locking questions

I have the new 2015, with comfort access.

The manual says not to lock the door with the remote if someone is inside. That it requires special knowledge to unlock.

Is it pretty much impossible to unlock the car in this case from the inside?

Or is it just that the alarm is activated, and if unlocked, the alarm will go off?

With warnings like that, I'm worried about trying. Which may be the point. But not everyone will see the warning. Especially when the car driven by someone else or a second owner.

Also, what if you want to step out of the car for a few minutes, and leave it running. Can the car be locked/unlocked from outside the car while running?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
Also, what if you want to step out of the car for a few minutes, and leave it running. Can the car be locked/unlocked from outside the car while running?

Thanks,
Yes, it can. However, leaving a motor vehicle running and unattended may be illegal in your state. It is in mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
aw2002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
I have the new 2015, with comfort access.

The manual says not to lock the door with the remote if someone is inside. That it requires special knowledge to unlock.

Is it pretty much impossible to unlock the car in this case from the inside?

Or is it just that the alarm is activated, and if unlocked, the alarm will go off?

With warnings like that, I'm worried about trying. Which may be the point. But not everyone will see the warning. Especially when the car driven by someone else or a second owner.

Thanks,
I have 2015 X3 and you will not be able to leave the car running if you have the key fob with you. Once you leave the car with your key fob even a couple of feet away will kill the engine. If you leave the key fob in the car to keep it running then you will not be able to lock it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw2002 View Post
I have 2015 X3 and you will not be able to leave the car running if you have the key fob with you. Once you leave the car with your key fob even a couple of feet away will kill the engine. If you leave the key fob in the car to keep it running then you will not be able to lock it.
Sometimes if you have the engine running you can keep it running and lock the door but sometimes it turns the engine off. Its really random lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
Sometimes if you have the engine running you can keep it running and lock the door but sometimes it turns the engine off. Its really random lol.
I'm surprised about this. My car just chimes, and a warning message comes up if you remove the key from the car while it's running. But mine NEVER cuts out- I would have thought that it would be highly dangerous to do so if the car was moving.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As long as it doesn't do something stupid like not allow you to unlock it when you return it is safe to experiment.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw2002 View Post
I almost regularly run the car without a key fob and never have had a problem - let me explain.

I live in an apartment building. In the winter my routine almost every morning is to start the car and turn on the heat, turn on the steering wheel/seat heaters, and turn on the rear window heater. I then exit/lock it and walk a significant distance across the parking lot to dump the trash. I never had a problem with the engine stopping on its own. I also step out of the car, once its started, to clean the night's snow and ice off of it and again the engine has never stopped. However, in all cases, as soon as I step out of the car a message appears on the display with a chime stating the car cannot be restarted. Yesterday, my wife and I forgot something in our apartment, I sat in the car with the A/C on while she took my key and went back up to our apartment. As soon as the key fob passed through the door the message and chime appeared but the engine did not stop. I even drove into the parking lot next door to see something while she was away to see something and had no problem at all.

In other words, IMO, if your engine is stopping when the fob leaves the immediate presence of the vehicle something is wrong as that would present potential safety issues and I doubt highly BMW or any other car maker would design a car that way. Certainly it wont restart if stopped but it will not shutdown on its own.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I left it running today while I ran back into the house to get something. Even locked it with the fob first.

I can see leaving it running in the winter when cleaning windows. Though normally wouldn't lock it in that case.
Appreciate 0