BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
sodermalm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25

Tailgate grinding/moaning during operation

My 2013 X3 is equipped with the power tailgate and ever since I picked up the car I've noticed two things:
1. the motor/gears in the tailgate make a noticeable grinding noise (like two gears moving over one another) while in operation;
2. the tailgate sometimes slams shut (as opposed to closing smoothly)

I assumed the noise was normal since the motor is contained in the same Stabilus housing with the pressurized springs. The slamming shut, however, has always worried me. Recently, the grinding has become louder and the slamming has become more frequent.

So I am wondering: does anyone's power tailgate sometimes slam shut instead of slowing closing (so-called 'soft-close' where the tailgate closes and then adjusts until it is perfectly closed)? And does anyone else experience a very pronounced grinding moan while the tailgate is in operation?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

On mine, the noise made could not exactly be described as silent, but it has been consistent and sounds normal to me. The closing speed has also been consistent, it is controlled to the point that the tailgate is down then it pulls it in to lock.

The only thing that I can think of when it has been different at all is when I've been on a steep hill, then I suppose gravity takes over.

Sounds like a trip to the dealer.
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
sodermalm
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by am36 View Post
On mine, the noise made could not exactly be described as silent, but it has been consistent and sounds normal to me. The closing speed has also been consistent, it is controlled to the point that the tailgate is down then it pulls it in to lock.

The only thing that I can think of when it has been different at all is when I've been on a steep hill, then I suppose gravity takes over.

Sounds like a trip to the dealer.
Thanks for the information! The controlled closings where it pulls it in to lock are getting few and far between for me. I've an appointment for Monday, so hopefully they'll be able to work some magic!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Mine always has the grinding gear sound and has a bit of a "thunk" as it closes -- definitely not a soft close where it gets close quietly and then pulls in.
      06-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

The motor sounds similar to ours. Surprises me since the motor on my 5 sounds much more refined. It does close softly so it might be worth getting it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Maybe the assist struts are weak or have lost pressure, causing to motor to have to work harder to lift and close a heavy tailgate.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Mine makes what I would call a whirring noise when it opens and closes. Closing it doesn't slam it, but near the end of travel it seems to let it fall the last little bit with a light thunk, then pulls it in.

Sounds exactly the same as my X5 did for the last 3 years, take a video if you can, but yours sounds a bit outside of normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Roadkillrob best describes the behavior on mine. I'll add that there was one weekend in early Spring that the trunk refused to latch... Even after 20 or so attempts. Dealer was not able to explain it
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

I also experience issues with my power tailgate. It seems to have a mind of its own. some days are good, other days the tailgate won't open, or it won't close; that's when i have to add some manual muscle to assist the power tailgate.

I'd be just as happy without all the electronic nannies. More power features equals more trouble & exorbitant post warranty costs down the road...

Cheers/B
      06-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
sodermalm
United_States
Rep

Thanks, everyone, for the information! I'll try to make a video soon and post it.

Update:
The BMW service center has told me that my problem isn't technically a problem. They were able to replicate the slamming of the door (hard close) and it didn't trouble them since they "see it in a lot of X3's" apparently. Even when I added that I have been in an X3 that didn't do this, they did not seem surprised. So, there IS a problem, it's just that BMW has created the problem and it appears to be a crapshoot whether or not the problem presents in a given vehicle. I've still got over three years on the warranty, so I'm going to monitor the door and if it gets worse (or if I feel like a trip to the dealer) it will be going back regardless of whether or not this is a 'normal' problem. Also, the technicians got two new X3's off the lot and compared the behavior of those to my car and the grinding noise during operation was about the same in all three, too. Interestingly, the right spring/motor is louder in all three X3's.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

Mine sounds and closes exactly like yours. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it opens, closed and locks like its supposed to, you are good to go!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
rbtamms
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 and 2013 F25

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Mine is doing the exact same thing. It wasn't like that before but I'm going to make a trip to the dealership to make sure they will get rid of it.
      07-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodermalm View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the information! I'll try to make a video soon and post it.

Update:
The BMW service center has told me that my problem isn't technically a problem. They were able to replicate the slamming of the door (hard close) and it didn't trouble them since they "see it in a lot of X3's" apparently. Even when I added that I have been in an X3 that didn't do this, they did not seem surprised. So, there IS a problem, it's just that BMW has created the problem and it appears to be a crapshoot whether or not the problem presents in a given vehicle. I've still got over three years on the warranty, so I'm going to monitor the door and if it gets worse (or if I feel like a trip to the dealer) it will be going back regardless of whether or not this is a 'normal' problem. Also, the technicians got two new X3's off the lot and compared the behavior of those to my car and the grinding noise during operation was about the same in all three, too. Interestingly, the right spring/motor is louder in all three X3's.
The service manager at my dealership basically said the same thing. Seems like it's scripted. I've always felt there is an issue with the struts/closing mechanism
but haven't had any issues so I'll keep monitoring it. It sounds much worse in my garage though...like really slamming...but that's the echoing off the walls.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i called it in for service, i feel like the tailgate slams at closing, scared the shits of me lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
if tailgate for some reason stopa during closing, just press the button again. i avoid using force to close tailgate unless it wont close by pressing button for 2nd time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
I also experience issues with my power tailgate. It seems to have a mind of its own. some days are good, other days the tailgate won't open, or it won't close; that's when i have to add some manual muscle to assist the power tailgate.

I'd be just as happy without all the electronic nannies. More power features equals more trouble & exorbitant post warranty costs down the road...

Cheers/B
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #16
jeff_K
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i 2013

Tailgate works fine BUT the gas struts make creaking sounds during operation. Seems like it is straining to do its job and getting louder. Is that normal for a 1yr old car? And yes, it has always shut with a soft but audible slam from Day 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #17
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
Tailgate works fine BUT the gas struts make creaking sounds during operation. Seems like it is straining to do its job and getting louder. Is that normal for a 1yr old car? And yes, it has always shut with a soft but audible slam from Day 1.
I've been told that those are not gas struts but gear's (worm and sector) and that's what is making the noise. Mine works ok but it is a little loud since day 1. And it does close harder than I expected.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
jeff_K
Rep

Hi cadman50, thanks for the reply. Not quite sure what you mean by "worm and sector". In any case, rust has appeared on one the hexagonal bolt securing the strut to the tailgate on the right side. I'll bring it to BMW service to have it change. At the same time, I will ask about the creaking noise during tailgate operation and confirm if soft slam on closing is to be expected.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #19
Sireal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i

Garage List
I have not heard too much noise upon opening and closing. But I have noticed that if I do not open the tail gate for a number of days and them try to open it it won't open, because it "sticks", then once I open it manually it will work fine going forward until it "re=seals" again. Anyone else observe this?
      05-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
jeff_K
Rep

Quote:
Hi cadman50, thanks for the reply. Not quite sure what you mean by "worm and sector". In any case, rust has appeared on one the hexagonal bolt securing the strut to the tailgate on the right side. I'll bring it to BMW service to have it change. At the same time, I will ask about the creaking noise during tailgate operation and confirm if soft slam on closing is to be expected.
OK. BMW service (embarassed & red face) will replace the rusty bolt. As for tailgate creaking during operation, it was definitely not acceptable to their ears. Too excessive they said, should be softer. Engineer needs to to take down both struts to check them out properly. And they confirmed the tailgate closes with a soft slam.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
dudley07726
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Garage List
2013 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
2012 X3  [0.00]
Quote:
OK. BMW service (embarassed & red face) will replace the rusty bolt. As for tailgate creaking during operation, it was definitely not acceptable to their ears. Too excessive they said, should be softer. Engineer needs to to take down both struts to check them out properly. And they confirmed the tailgate closes with a soft slam.
There lies the difference between how BMW is handling this for you and how Lexus handled the trunk struts on my Sc 430.

BMW: "Engineer needs to to take down both struts to check them out properly"

Me: struts don't go up as smooth as before. Lexus: No problem. we'll replace them.

Me: Can I get a loaner? Lexus: Sure, you want a car or SUV?

I have to wait 2 weeks with my BMW service guy to get a loaner.
I have no experience as to comment how long it takes to get a loaner for my current E350 cabriolet. Lexus gave me a loaner even for an oil change. Not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #22
Littlenoggs
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 XDrive 2.0d SE - 2014

Stabilus Powerise Tailgate Struts

My F25 X3 2.0d xdrive (2014) has Stabilus Powerise tailgate struts. They worked fine until about 8 months ago. Now they make a terrible creaking noise on opening. When closing the tailgate by using the auto-close button on the tailgate, a similar creaking noise is heard and the tailgate stops closing half-way; this means manual hand closing (using reasonable force) is required!
Appreciate 0