BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

More on winter tires

Great video from a well respected mag in a country that doesn't believe winter tires are worth it.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/do-winter-tyres-w ork-video/
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
dewalty
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Link didn't work for me. Tried copying to include all get (deleting the ******* but still wouldn't go.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/d...es-work-video/
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
dewalty
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Great video from a well respected mag in a country that doesn't believe winter tires are worth it.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/do-winter-tyres-w ork-video/

The UK are slowly starting to buy them.

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/127/21552.html
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

another British mag on snow tires....hope its not a repost

01-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Figures this is the one year I have a 4wd with snow tires and there is not a snow flake in sight
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Backs up exactly what I've said before which is that are good in snow and ice - and particularly to get going from a standing start.

A completely stupid low budget test really as surely they could have at least got two 1 series cars???

I also hear the below 7C amazing facts repeated ("the fact is you're better off") at the end of video with absolutely no evidence or statistics to qualify it. Repeat the test on a wet and dry road at 5C and show us the amazing improvements.

Get winters (or all seasons) if you get snow and freezing temperatures frequently. If you don't, make an informed decision about whether they are necessary for you, not a blind one based on an average temperature of 4C in the winter months. Not seen a single snowflake here this winter...

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Winters do make a significant difference to me Sfax even without snow / ice. Awkward sharp adverse camber turns, roundabouts etc when wet are now not an issue, as the softer tyre blocks move and grip. I can only say try it - I am convinced and feel that paying X3 prices for power you can't safely use makes winters a no brainier. Plus should it snow ...... Winters are not snow tyres but winter tyres - try them or speak to a taxi driver who has.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Winters do make a significant difference to me Sfax even without snow / ice. Awkward sharp adverse camber turns, roundabouts etc when wet are now not an issue, as the softer tyre blocks move and grip. I can only say try it - I am convinced and feel that paying X3 prices for power you can't safely use makes winters a no brainier. Plus should it snow ...... Winters are not snow tyres but winter tyres - try them or speak to a taxi driver who has.
I have them fitted now but I would still argue that having less worn tyres makes a bigger difference - and this is born out by the statistics on stopping distance too (10% max improvement winter over summer on 5C wet, 50% max improvement tyre approaching legal minimum against a new tyre). I agree on having them on in case it snows though but it's whether you want to pay for that luxury for 1 day a year. My argument is that this should be your main decision, not just average temps of 4-5C. If I lived in Scotland it would be a no brainer. Elsewhere, I'm not convinced but I have less power than you

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Sfax, we may have similar weather here in the DC area. Winters are cold, dipping well below freezing, bumping up to 8C Autumn-like days, with occasional snow storms that drop 1-8 inches and produce icy roads for a bit through daytime melt and nighttime freeze.

Your focus on the status of the tread makes a lot of sense to me for all but those storm/ice periods. I've driven a 330i (not xDrive, so there's a difference) in those conditions and an AWD with snow tires. For most of the Winter the All Weather tires and smart driving worked fine on the 330i, but it drove like a sled and in some of the more slippery conditions (icy or that really slick snow -- however that happens) wasn't even drivable. There was an incline of about 40 ft over 400 ft that I couldn't get up, turns, any lateral angles, and stopping were a real problem. The tires had about 3k miles on them. Based on that experience, I've gone with the Winter tires as I generally have to go to work when the weather is bad.

Agree with you that our roads would likely be far safer if folks kept up with their tires and kept them inflated (and paid attention to driving).
      01-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplayin View Post
Figures this is the one year I have a 4wd with snow tires and there is not a snow flake in sight

Ha! Was thinkin' the same thing . . .
      01-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplayin View Post
+1 same boat. First winter tyres, first 4WD, zero snow and the mean temp in December in England was 6C - probably more like 8-9C where I live, northern England is colder generally

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Sfax, we may have similar weather here in the DC area. Winters are cold, dipping well below freezing, bumping up to 8C Autumn-like days, with occasional snow storms that drop 1-8 inches and produce icy roads for a bit through daytime melt and nighttime freeze.

Your focus on the status of the tread makes a lot of sense to me for all but those storm/ice periods. I've driven a 330i (not xDrive, so there's a difference) in those conditions and an AWD with snow tires. For most of the Winter the All Weather tires and smart driving worked fine on the 330i, but it drove like a sled and in some of the more slippery conditions (icy or that really slick snow -- however that happens) wasn't even drivable. There was an incline of about 40 ft over 400 ft that I couldn't get up, turns, any lateral angles, and stopping were a real problem. The tires had about 3k miles on them. Based on that experience, I've gone with the Winter tires as I generally have to go to work when the weather is bad.

Agree with you that our roads would likely be far safer if folks kept up with their tires and kept them inflated (and paid attention to driving).
Thanks Nahoa, good to hear some support for the tread argument and some reasoned and objective opinion. Agree 100% on "paid attention to driving" and yep, I've been there with my old GTI and summer low profile tyres, had compacted snow, couldn't even get out of my driveway for 10 minutes (about 5 meters) and then couldn't get up the road, and then couldn't get back in my driveway! The whole exercise took 30 minutes and needed help from a passerby. Total distance travelled: 20 meters!

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #13
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Begs the question why someone doesn't develop a free drive thro tyre depth scanner, to give you an update every time you exit the fuel filling station. I also feel the UK tread minimum is dangerously low and have never got close to it in any car I have owned, but that is another story.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Begs the question why someone doesn't develop a free drive thro tyre depth scanner, to give you an update every time you exit the fuel filling station. I also feel the UK tread minimum is dangerously low and have never got close to it in any car I have owned, but that is another story.
I agree on minimum tread but I used to foolishly take it down to near the legal minimum to save money when I was young (thinking it must be safe as it's legal) and I'm sure lots of people still do now, particularly in today's economic climate.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
dewalty
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I agree on minimum tread but I used to foolishly take it down to near the legal minimum to save money when I was young (thinking it must be safe as it's legal) and I'm sure lots of people still do now, particularly in today's economic climate.
Try explaining that to the lease company, I have previously always replaced my tyres at 3mm. Lease company won't replace until down to 1.7-1.8mm.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalty View Post
Try explaining that to the lease company, I have previously always replaced my tyres at 3mm. Lease company won't replace until down to 1.7-1.8mm.
Really? That is bad. Especially considering the difference (below) between 3mm and 1.6

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Interesting to note that both tests used Contis, but one was All Season, and the other was Snows, both compared to summer tires.

I don't think the comparison of DWS vs. Snows would be quite so dramatic.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #18
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Absolutely, just tried to get my tyres replaced but at 2.5mm they won't do it. Tyre fitter said they would have to be under 2mm.
Really annoying and dangerous.
I am waiting for my X3 (about 4 weeks to go) and drive a Volvo C70 D5. So much torque to the front wheels makes pulling out on damp roads a challenge and I drive much more cautiously as I know it won't stop very quickly either.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

With all the talk about winter tires and chains and everything, for crying out loud, let it snow already!!
Mother nature has been so stingy this ski season.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #20
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
With all the talk about winter tires and chains and everything, for crying out loud, let it snow already!!
Mother nature has been so stingy this ski season.
Don't take this the wrong way...

But if you're in SoCal and you're anxious for snow to come...well it seems like you're living in the wrong region...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #21
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nah, snow in California can be a great thing!! Better from NorCal, but that's just my obligatory NorCal/SoCal bias coming out. :-) You can visit the snow, spend weeks and weekends in the snow, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, sitting by the fire drinking and ogling the snow, then drive home to a clear driveway, put on your shorts and throw a ball in the backyard. Not at all the same as living in a snow region, but it has some advantages!
      01-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Don't take this the wrong way...

But if you're in SoCal and you're anxious for snow to come...well it seems like you're living in the wrong region...
Lol I hear ya, but this is the worst it's been for many years. Last year was epic.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0