BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
dd123
Rep
Drives: X3 28I

Help..Just bought a new X3 on Saturday and it is going back to the shop for the secon

Just bought a new X3 Saturday. Sunday it would not unlock and had to use key. Then alarm goes off and stops when you start the car. Then it blows hot air and shows windshield wiper failure. Then after shutting off car windshield wipers remain on for 10 min. WOW.. My first BMW. Drove it to BMW sales rep pushed a button and problems went away. Took it home same problem above 4 times. Took it to be repaired and they said they replaced the modular and all was well on Wednesday. Today is Thursday and I could not get in my car and same problems as above with same message. Kinda scarred I got a lemon and I'm taking it in tomorrow. The new car experience should not feel like this. I have been back twice and tomorrow will be 3 times. I can not lock my doors now. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm curious if they even replaced anything because it was working when I dropped it off. Now I loved this X3 the 3 days i had it. This is my first BMW and I hope this problem goes away.

Last edited by dd123; 09-01-2011 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: miss spell
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
dd123
Rep

someone please post a reply on what they think

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

"Been there - Done that"

Obviously, the vehicle has a problem with some electronics module, a communications bus or "who knows what".

If you haven't already done so, document everything that has happened - write down each failure or malfunction, and be sure that your dealer documents what they claim to be doing to correct the problem. They should be willing to give you a copy of the service report for each time you bring it in for repair. Insist that your dealer does not give the car back to you until they have thoroughly tested it. They should be willing to give you a free loaner while they keep your car.

If they return it again and you again have problems, it's time to phone BMW NA and talk to a customer service rep. Request that they investigate your recurring problems.

Again it's essential to have the service sheets and your notes on what failed, when it happened, and what was done as an attempted repair.

It sounds like your dealer's service dept has only tried simple fixes or system resets. Some of the failures should have set "codes" in the computer. Try to get a copy of the error codes. On the X3, major error codes are also stored in the "Key Remote" (the key Fob) and can be read out immediately by the Service Dept computer. However, because some of your problems are related to the remote locking system that may not be working correctly.

Hopefully, it will not come to that, but you should be aware of the details of the Arizona Lemon Law (Arizona Lemon Law 44-1261).
see: http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/AZ_law.html
The Arizona statutes allow for vehicle replacement or refund of purchase costs if the vehicle is in for service for THE SAME PROBLEM a total of (4) times, OR if the vehicle is in for service for (30) days or more. The Arizona statute is valid for the first 24 months of ownership. That's why it's essential to keep full records from "day-1".

There is a good chance that you service dept. will find the real problem and correct it once they start taking you seriously. There seems to be a widespread tendency among BMW service departments to try to take the fastest, easiest fix, and not to completely check that their "fix" really has corrected the problem. It often takes several trips back and/or some pressure (and possibly help) from BMW NA to get them to seriously concentrate on the problem and find the real solution.

Good luck and remember, "Document everything!"

Last edited by Lotus7; 09-02-2011 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Good advice there. Probably would not hurt to take photos or video of the problem as its happening for documentation sake.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Sorry about your troubles, you must feel really awful. My wife's 2011 MB GL350 started dropping bits of trim a week after delivery. Needless to say I was exceedingly disgusted.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Good advice there. Probably would not hurt to take photos or video of the problem as its happening for documentation sake.
Absolutely! Taking photos or video is an excellent suggestion. If you have a "time/date stamp" function on your camera, turn it on. Usually, you will have to turn off any auto flash to get decent pics of the display screen(s).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
dd123
Rep

Thanks all and back in shop till tuesday

O.K..they were very nice at the BMW service today and all error codes showed up on the key. Car was working this morning but they could tell i had the error codes. They called me later today and said that they got the show. That is the show of the alarm, locks, error codes and the blowing of hot air. They think they have to replace some other box on Tuesday but need to speak with BMW NA about it first. I know this is not normal but I just want a different X3 now. From what I read, everybody loves theirs as I did the 2 days I had mine. This may sound weird, but I think during all this, extra miles showed up. I know I only drove 85 to 90 miles, since the last drop at service but it shows I drove 130 more. They are checking into this too. Maybe I'm just sleep driving? Should I ask for an extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd123 View Post
O.K..they were very nice at the BMW service today and all error codes showed up on the key. Car was working this morning but they could tell i had the error codes. They called me later today and said that they got the show. That is the show of the alarm, locks, error codes and the blowing of hot air. They think they have to replace some other box on Tuesday but need to speak with BMW NA about it first. I know this is not normal but I just want a different X3 now. From what I read, everybody loves theirs as I did the 2 days I had mine. This may sound weird, but I think during all this, extra miles showed up. I know I only drove 85 to 90 miles, since the last drop at service but it shows I drove 130 more. They are checking into this too. Maybe I'm just sleep driving? Should I ask for an extended warranty?
You can ask for a different car, but considering that yours has only been in for service for a few days, it's very unlikely the dealer will approve it.

Even though the problems are apparently with different parts of the car, they probably are all related to a single electronic module or other system component and MAY actually be fairly simple to repair by replacing that single component. Although virtually any BMW dealer's service advisor will always be "very nice", what you want is competent service not just "nice". Ask them point blank if they have consulted BMW NA for help with the problems your car has, and if not WHY?

It’s possible to be polite, but also to stand your ground and be firm.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
dd123
Rep

O.K.. I got the car on Saturday and brought it in on Sunday and it seemed fine. I brought it back on Monday and they replaced a modular and got it back to me on Wednesday. I had problems again on Thursday night and brought it in on Friday. Today which is Tuesday they called BMW NA and they think a junction box needs to be replaced and it needs to come from Germany. They will try to get it in faster. Should I at least ask for an extended warranty since it seems to have major problems. I have had it a total of 3 days in a week and a half. Thanks for all your help and I'm sure 99.9 % of the X3's would never have this problem but since it affected the AC, alarm, door locks, and it also locked me in while blowing hot air, window wipers and no lights at night I will not feel safe driving it if it happens again. IT WAS NEW and I hope BMW NA gets involved and makes it right. I am a single mom who drives around her daughter and I freak out when I don't feel safe. I think this is a great SAV and would still stick with the new X3. Since it feels like it has a mind of its own I don't want to take chances with my safety. FYI..It really helped in my decision when buying this car that this model has brought jobs to the U.S.A
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #10
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I feel your pain as I find myself in a similar situation with different technical issues on my x3. I will post my case shortly as I would like some input from the forum.

Good luck in getting your car fixed and feeling like you own a brand new BMW

Cheers.
      09-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
O.K.. I got the car on Saturday and brought it in on Sunday and it seemed fine. I brought it back on Monday and they replaced a modular and got it back to me on Wednesday. I had problems again on Thursday night and brought it in on Friday. Today which is Tuesday they called BMW NA and they think a junction box needs to be replaced and it needs to come from Germany. They will try to get it in faster. Should I at least ask for an extended warranty since it seems to have major problems. I have had it a total of 3 days in a week and a half. Thanks for all your help and I'm sure 99.9 % of the X3's would never have this problem but since it affected the AC, alarm, door locks, and it also locked me in while blowing hot air, window wipers and no lights at night I will not feel safe driving it if it happens again. IT WAS NEW and I hope BMW NA gets involved and makes it right. I am a single mom who drives around her daughter and I freak out when I don't feel safe. I think this is a great SAV and would still stick with the new X3. Since it feels like it has a mind of its own I don't want to take chances with my safety. FYI..It really helped in my decision when buying this car that this model has brought jobs to the U.S.A
Although problems like yours should never happen, they can, and do.

It sounds like your dealer is at least trying to find the solution. If it were me, I'd at least phone BMW NA Customer service (800-831-1117) and have them open a case on your car. It never hurts to let the dealer know you're not just talking to them.

Regarding asking for compensation (an extended warrantee). You’re probably better off waiting until the car is properly fixed. Once you’re satisfied that it’s working correctly make your case with the dealer AND with BMW NA. I personally know of several instances involving 2011 X3’s where BMW NA approved cash payments to owners to compensate them for their troubles.

It’s often a good idea to keep a detailed log of what functions failed on the car and when. Mention the full list and the number of times you had to return to the dealership for service that obviously DIDN’T correct the problem in a detailed letter to BMW NA. The real failure here is apparently that you dealer didn’t keep and drive the car enough to insure that your issues were properly resolved.

Good Luck – we do feel your pain and share your concerns about your family’s safety.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Hey DD123,

Did you ever get a resolution?
      10-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
drdeacon
Registered
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, x3 28i

dd123-
I feel your pain…I have same exact symptoms in my X3 only mine waited 3 months to appear…In the shop for 3 days and no word yet…what happened in your case???
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Just bought a new X3 Saturday. Sunday it would not unlock and had to use key. Then alarm goes off and stops when you start the car. Then it blows hot air and shows windshield wiper failure. Then after shutting off car windshield wipers remain on for 10 min. WOW.. My first BMW. Drove it to BMW sales rep pushed a button and problems went away. Took it home same problem above 4 times. Took it to be repaired and they said they replaced the modular and all was well on Wednesday. Today is Thursday and I could not get in my car and same problems as above with same message. Kinda scarred I got a lemon and I'm taking it in tomorrow. The new car experience should not feel like this. I have been back twice and tomorrow will be 3 times. I can not lock my doors now. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm curious if they even replaced anything because it was working when I dropped it off. Now I loved this X3 the 3 days i had it. This is my first BMW and I hope this problem goes away.
Don't be scared you got a lemon. Just be calm but also firm. Demand but be reasonable. Call your lawyer. Ask him what you can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
caz681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Xdrive35i

The first model-year of a complete re-design is most likely going to have more issues than other years. German cars are likely to have more issues (on average) than Japanese cars. (Bugatti doesn't build many Veyrons. You think those things are trouble-free?) In the ideal world, the more you pay for a car, the fewer problems you'll have. In the real world, this is often not the case.

Nonetheless, after decades of buying reliable Japanese cars, I wouldn't trade my Audi A4 or BMW X3 for any of them. I have seen the light. The Germans know how to make exciting cars, model-after-model, year-after-year. Some more exciting than others? Sure, but the Japanese struggle to make a vehicle which doesn't bore me to death. (There are some...just not many.)

I may be fortunate in that the only problem I've had with m X3 is the occasional RPM surging at startup (and I expect they'll come out with a fix for that soon). Regardless, I'm prepared to have more problems than I've had with Japanese cars. I'm also constantly having more fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Exclamation

I have had so many new BMW's and NONE have given one minutes problems
There must be a build difference in European and US cars.
No one I know sees these problems I see constantly reported on these forums.
      10-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #17
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Likewise, I've had 8 new BMW's, I've had a few problems over the years (5 series thermostat and 335i HPFP) but nothing like you see reported on the forums where you get the impression there are loads of problems, it's just the nature of the internet.

I do have 3 niggly things to get fixed but they are not spoiling what's a great car. I was in my friend's Range Rover Sport over the weekend, the first time I've been in it since I got my X3. It's surprising how much tighter the RR Sport is inside (especially the rear) and sunroof really mullahs the headroom.
      10-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Definately sounds like a module problem. Which one though? That's the tricky part. Amazingly, BMW techs don't seem to have sophisticatd equipment to diagnose these types of problems to the degree that I feel they should. Our X5 recently had to have the footwell module replaced (one of the primary lobes of the 'brain'), and it took them several tries to finally determine that.

Good luck. I see this thread is over a month old - hopefully by now you're all sorted out.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Likewise, I was in my friend's Range Rover Sport over the weekend, the first time I've been in it since I got my X3. It's surprising how much tighter the RR Sport is inside (especially the rear) and sunroof really mullahs the headroom.
I test drove one of these thinking I would buy one!!!!! No Chance they are so much behind BMW technology wise and "Powerless" they are so slow, this coupled with the ancient
Power train (6 speed) put me right off, thats not counting terrible residuals and reliability.
My mate bought the Top of the range, Range Rover and it was worthless in 3 months, no one would even bid on it.
BMW all the way.
      10-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
But that's the nature of forums. Most people post with a problem that they would like help or advice with. For each problem reported there are 100s of other X3s with no problems to report - mine included, after 8 months.

People that aren't regular forum users don't suddenly decide to post about how wonderful their cars are. Look at almost any product that has been reviewed by 20+ people. You'll invariably find some bad reviews.

Unless there are statistics on number of faults and there is a marked increase based purely on where the car was built, it's impossible to say that's the cause. And even then, it could be components or machines used that were built elsewhere that are to blame.

One negative point is some of the things that have managed to get through quality controls like obvious paintwork bubbling. Some of these should never have left the factory.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #21
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
But that's the nature of forums. Most people post with a problem that they would like help or advice with. For each problem reported there are 100s of other X3s with no problems to report - mine included, after 8 months.

People that aren't regular forum users don't suddenly decide to post about how wonderful their cars are. Look at almost any product that has been reviewed by 20+ people. You'll invariably find some bad reviews.

Unless there are statistics on number of faults and there is a marked increase based purely on where the car was built, it's impossible to say that's the cause. And even then, it could be components or machines used that were built elsewhere that are to blame.

One negative point is some of the things that have managed to get through quality controls like obvious paintwork bubbling. Some of these should never have left the factory.
Completely agree. Most people will be more likely to express an opinion when it is negative. Also agree on the paint quality. I have a few 'fish eye' spots that are usually an indication of contaminants on the substrate before painting.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #22
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
I test drove one of these thinking I would buy one!!!!! No Chance they are so much behind BMW technology wise and "Powerless" they are so slow, this coupled with the ancient
Power train (6 speed) put me right off, thats not counting terrible residuals and reliability.
My mate bought the Top of the range, Range Rover and it was worthless in 3 months, no one would even bid on it.
BMW all the way.
My mate has the 5.0 V8 Supercharged, it has about the same performance as the 3.0D X3 only I don't need to have a fuel tanker constantly filling me up! Grossly inefficient and as you say, unreliable. I've not looked in on a Range Rover forum, I can only guess what topics they discuss.....all those toys to go wrong.