BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Seat Belt Penalty Chime when in Park

Here's the situation. I pick up the mail, drive down my driveway (about 100 yards)... no seat belt... chime starts about half way down or if I go too fast. I get to the house and put the car in park... but the chime never goes off!!

The car is still running and putting on the parking brake doesn't disengage the chime.

I think this is a bit of a mistake. Granted, maybe not a common scenario for all of ya'll, but it happens to me all the time. I don't want to disengage the chime... but when a car is in Park (emergency brake on or not), the chime should not be on. I've been in other less sophisticated cars that have this right.

thoughts?

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Nayook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Do you have anything heavy on the other seat? That will keep it going.
Have you lifted yourself off the driver's seat to make it stop?
Has Idrive given you a warning that you have to acknowledge before it shuts up?
And finally, does it stop if you put your seat belt on?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Occasionally, I'll have my briefcase in the passenger seat, but I think the car can sense that it's not a person since the chime never goes off while I'm driving.

I've gotten out of the car and came back and it's still chiming...

The iDrive keeps indicating the seatbelt needs to be fastened (which, again, I think when you're parked, parking brake on, and no weight in the driver's seat... you probably don't need your seatbelt on).

Yes, it does stop when I fasten the seat belt... Which doesn't make sense in my scenario. If you've stopped your car (in park), why would you need to put your seatbelt on?

Give it a shot. It's simple to replicate. Drive with no seatbelt until it chimes. Then put the car in park... pull the parking brake... get out of the car... chime continues...

I was hoping maybe it was a messed up factory setting that maybe they could fix with a system upgrade or something...

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Didn't you say your briefcase was in the seat? So you mean the care think's it's a person, yes?

For some reason, if my iPad is charging and in the seat it thinks it's a person. If not charging, no problem.
      11-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

You should be able to confirm if the passenger weight sensor is triggering by the yellow warning on the overhead console. When there is enough weight to trigger the sensor, the overhead warning illuminated text will be off at start-up. When there is no weight on the passenger seat, the message "Passenger air bag is disabled" will be on. It's supposed to take more than 50 lbs. to activate the air bag circuit, so that air bags are not active if a small child is in the seat. It's possible that the seat belt chime is triggered by much less weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

driving over 20mph with your seatbelt off triggers the chime. it'll chime ~ 30 times before it shuts off. The trigger happens and it continues 30 times even if you slow < 20 and if you put the car in park.

If you take your seat belt off between park and < 20mph, no chime and no chime in park.

I have the same dilemma with my mail routine and such. It forced me to change habits and to be cognizant of when I disengage my seat belt.

I may disable it in the seat latch, potentially. I need to do some more research on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Is there a time delay on the chime?

I hadn't thought about the 30 chimes thing, but that might be about right... It might go off after 30 (which is still not right in my mind... car should be hardwired to disengage the chime when in park, period.).

I figured the trigger was speed, but I wonder if there is a "time" trigger as well? Anyone know? So, if you drove <20 mph for 30 minutes, would the chime ever get triggered? Or is it strictly a mph trigger?

If so, I'll just mentally post a 15 mph speed limit sign down my drive. I think that's what your saying Walend.

That's what drives me nuts about the seatbelt chime... the car has the sophistication to realize that <20 mph is "safe" however, it's not smart enough to know that "Park" is even "safer?"

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Passenger Seat Chime with iPad Charge???

Just to confirm, my briefcase doesn't trigger the seatbelt warning. But what is really odd is Nahoa's comments about charging an iPad?????

Nahoa, so you're saying that the passenger seatbelt warning chime is triggered when you 1. don't have a passenger, 2. and are charging your iPad? Is that right? That would be very annoying. What if you put your iPad on your lap... Does the seatbelt chime still continue? That's very odd and I'm just checking to make sure I understand what you are saying...

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Really wish you could disable this.. very annoying, asked the dealer but they refused.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Really wish you could disable this.. very annoying, asked the dealer but they refused.
Unlpug the cable below the seat from the sensor pad - but I think you will get the air bag icon permenantly on the dash, at least you did in my last car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Nayook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Tested my car

My car behaves the same way, the only way I could stop it chiming was to put on the seatbelt.
I will test it again today and see if the chime goes off after thirty chimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Driving slow for a while...

I might test driving <20 mph and see if it ever triggers the chime... Or, if anyone else has already done so, please let us know.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

This happens to me too and even though I shout (very loudly) " Shut the f**k up!", it doesn't seem to make any difference. Funny thing is, it didn't work in my last car either. WTF?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
Unlpug the cable below the seat from the sensor pad - but I think you will get the air bag icon permenantly on the dash, at least you did in my last car.

Would that stop the airbag deploying in the event of a crash though?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Simply Broken

Yeah, I can't think of any legitimate reason it works the way it does. It's just an oversight and sucks for those of us to continuously find ourselves in a position where this stupid chime is punishing us for no good reason.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
This happens to me too and even though I shout (very loudly) " Shut the f**k up!", it doesn't seem to make any difference. Funny thing is, it didn't work in my last car either. WTF?
      11-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Maybe you forgot to push the voice control button on the steering wheel.. or you should maybe shout in German
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #18
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Timer Chimer

Well, I did a little test to see if the car time rather than speed would trigger the seatbelt chime. Turns out, it does. I went about 10 mph... and after about 10-15 seconds or less... the seatbelt chime started. I don't recall the exact time, but I was no where near 20 mph... So, my guess is that it's actually a timer trigger rather than speed.

Which sucks for me since no matter how slow I go down my driveway, seems like the seatbelt trigger is going to go off... and won't go off until I 1. put on my seatbelt (not going to happen), 2. turn off the car (eventually)...

Poor design

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
Well, I did a little test to see if the car time rather than speed would trigger the seatbelt chime. Turns out, it does. I went about 10 mph... and after about 10-15 seconds or less... the seatbelt chime started. I don't recall the exact time, but I was no where near 20 mph... So, my guess is that it's actually a timer trigger rather than speed.

Which sucks for me since no matter how slow I go down my driveway, seems like the seatbelt trigger is going to go off... and won't go off until I 1. put on my seatbelt (not going to happen), 2. turn off the car (eventually)...

Poor design
I think it's a combination of a timer and speed and I think the speed is lower than 20mph. It is poor design that it continues when the car is in park but for minimum speed they would argue that the reminder should stay on and not come on and off as your speed changes above and below the limit

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Probably Right

Yeah, I think you're right. Maybe a combination of speed and time... some overly complicated algorithm that measures speed over time multiplied by your past driving history, number of emergency stops, and birth sign = seatbelt chime. But in "park"... well, they never did get around that that algorithm. Which is pretty simple: Park = Reset Seatbelt Chime sequence!

I would agree, once the chime is triggered, it's fine that it stays on as long as the car is moving no matter the speed. I have experienced that in many cars.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #21
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

I stand corrected. My assessment of the < 20mph was due to the fact that I slowed my rig down to < 20, took my seat belt off, then got out of the car. No chime.

When I took my seat belt off > 20, I must have been driving the car a bit longer and the chime tripped immediately.

I can trip mine after a short drive regardless of speed.

In the end, when I roll into my mail boxes (near them, that is), if I take my seat belt off when I am < 20, I must be at the right distance where I don't trip the chime and it stays off when I put the car in park. At some point before, if I take my belt off, and the chime trips, it stays on.

I plan to investigate a work around that is hard wired. Will update if I am successful!

My litmus test was a bit flawed. Sorry for the wild goose chase, guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post
I stand corrected. My assessment of the < 20mph was due to the fact that I slowed my rig down to < 20, took my seat belt off, then got out of the car. No chime.

When I took my seat belt off > 20, I must have been driving the car a bit longer and the chime tripped immediately.

I can trip mine after a short drive regardless of speed.

In the end, when I roll into my mail boxes (near them, that is), if I take my seat belt off when I am < 20, I must be at the right distance where I don't trip the chime and it stays off when I put the car in park. At some point before, if I take my belt off, and the chime trips, it stays on.

I plan to investigate a work around that is hard wired. Will update if I am successful!

My litmus test was a bit flawed. Sorry for the wild goose chase, guys!
What about a dummy seat belt clip? If you order just the buckle part and leave permenantly in the socket does this solve all eventualities for your dilemma? (and before someone else says it - excpet when you have a head on at 70)
Appreciate 0