BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 Auto Mineral Silver

2nd UK X3 in 4 months! How do they compare??

For reasons that are far too complicated to go into now, I took delivery of my second F25 X3 yesterday. I owned the previous one between May and September and it basically cost me nothing (see sfax's UK Orders thread for in depth mathematical equation).

The second car was ordered identically to the first with the addition of a Sports Steering Wheel. Part way through the lamentable wait for delivery the dealer warned of further delays due to lack of DAB radios. I took the opportunity to upgrade to Pro Nav and 6NR to avoid the delay although there is some debate about whether there ever was a delay and if indeed all X3's have DAB but have them switched on/off by software.

I've only had the 2nd one for 2 days now but all I can say is wow! I can't believe the difference between them. Here's why;

1) Engine is a lot quieter and smoother.
2) Start / Stop seems to work when you expect it to rather than whenever it feels like it.
3) Steering is a lot lighter (I had the odd sounding steering issue on the 1st one but wasn't worried by it).
4) All body panels had lacquer on them and the paint finish seems better.
5) Locking and window mechanisms are smoother and quieter
6) Doors open/close with the sound you'd expect from a BMW
7) Cup holder inserts included.
8) Much less road noise and overall just feels more composed and BMW like to drive.

Pictures included to show SSW, cup holders, Pro Nav screen etc. The only slight downside is the inclusion of an extra piece of plastic that I assume holds the Pro Nav h/w under the CD/DVD drive that wasn't there before. This robs space above the little tray behind the cup holders making it less useful and accessible but its a small price!

The SSW is so much better than the standard SE one mainly due to it being thicker and having thumb rests. It has a smaller diameter which has really benefitted me by giving more space between my legs and the wheel, making it more comfortable to drive.

Pro Nav and all the Connected Drive stuff is blowing my mind, only just scratched the surface really. iPhone Remote App to unlock/lock car is a great bonus, especially as you don't need the key to start the car, I can just leave it in my coat/bag all the time now. Not sure which drivers profile it adopts yet but will no doubt find out in the morning.

Haven't tried 6NR yet so all eager beavers will have to wait, sorry! Will try it with a USB cable first before deciding on the Media Adapter, still not sure whether I actually need one or what functions I will miss if I don't have one.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Where did my pictures go?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbhuna View Post
I've only had the 2nd one for 2 days now but all I can say is wow! I can't believe the difference between them. Here's why;

1) Engine is a lot quieter and smoother.
2) Start / Stop seems to work when you expect it to rather than whenever it feels like it.
3) Steering is a lot lighter (I had the odd sounding steering issue on the 1st one but wasn't worried by it).
4) All body panels had lacquer on them and the paint finish seems better.
5) Locking and window mechanisms are smoother and quieter
6) Doors open/close with the sound you'd expect from a BMW
7) Cup holder inserts included.
8) Much less road noise and overall just feels more composed and BMW like to drive.
I get number 7 but are the rest real improvements or just perception? (perhaps a friday build versus a midweek build? perhaps they are getting better, better trained?)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I think they are all down to build quality / updated parts etc. The lack of lacquer on some of the body panels is pretty obvious.

Maybe they aren't rushing them now it's calmed down and peoples delivery expectations are set sooner?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
I think they are all down to build quality / updated parts etc. The lack of lacquer on some of the body panels is pretty obvious.

Maybe they aren't rushing them now it's calmed down and peoples delivery expectations are set sooner?
Makes sense, it must have been chaos earlier in the year

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:

Great write up, Can't wait for mine now.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Nice write up.. I can agree with you on the quality of the current deliveries.. don't know about the initial ones. I only had a minor problem with the paintwork which was corrected by a dealer in 30 minutes
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d (F25)

Quote:
Could this be because you have other tires on the new car?

Last edited by kolien; 09-22-2011 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #9
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolien View Post
Could this be because by you having other tires on the new car?
No they were identical Pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #10
JimBeamer
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 (2017)2.0d XLine

That's good to here, gives me more confidence that mine will be fine when it finally arrives.

Thanks for the report.
      09-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d (F25)

Thank you for your post. This really sounds like great news

Other people on this forum have reported some rattles and squeaks in mirror and doors and at high speeds. And that has started to worry me.

Have you any comments on these statements with regards to your own experience on audible wind noise in the cabin (lets say when driving +100kph / +60mph?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolien View Post
Thank you for your post. This really sounds like great news

Other people on this forum have reported some rattles and squeaks in mirror and doors and at high speeds. And that has started to worry me.

Have you any comments on these statements with regards to your own experience on audible wind noise in the cabin (lets say when driving +100kph / +60mph?
I didn't notice any exterior wind noise with either X3.
Appreciate 0