BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Washer fluid

The window washer fluid reservoir must be small in the X3 as mine has been filled now 3 times since May and thats not including any winter driving?

Never had headlight wash before and they are obviously using additional fluid but I normally just splash windscreen and the headlights rarely spray.

Anyone else noticed this? Its gonna be a pain in winter

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
The window washer fluid reservoir must be small in the X3 as mine has been filled now 3 times since May and thats not including any winter driving?

Never had headlight wash before and they are obviously using additional fluid but I normally just splash windscreen and the headlights rarely spray.

Anyone else noticed this? Its gonna be a pain in winter
According to the manual, the reservoir capacity is approximately 5.3 US Quarts/5 liters.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
According to the manual, the reservoir capacity is approximately 5.3 US Quarts/5 liters.
Cheers

Same as my previous E60 but I didnt seem to suffer same useage!?!?!

Time will tell

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It's probably the xenons headlight washers. I noticed it going down a lot more on my GTI (with xenons + headlight washers) compared to the Golf I had before (no xenons)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

If you search for this topic you will see many have experienced partially filled reservoirs at delivery (there are other theories). Result: fluid light comes on. As you will see when you fill it the reservoir is actually the biggest I've ever seen in a car and should last quite a while. It runs the length of the left side of the engine bay.
      09-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
If you search for this topic you will see many have experienced partially filled reservoirs at delivery (there are other theories). Result: fluid light comes on. As you will see when you fill it the reservoir is actually the biggest I've ever seen in a car and should last quite a while. It runs the length of the left side of the engine bay.
Interesting. I've never checked my level. I would suppose that they do this to avoid splashing/spilling during transit. It should be the dealer's obligation to fill it prior to delivery. But I suppose this is something they either overlook or don't do so save a few pennies.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
+1

The light came on at 4K miles, and I put just about a gallon of "bug juice' in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

Came one at 3K miles, bought BMW windsheild fluid and dealership filled it up for me. Costed me $5 and 5 minutes, still have half bottle left for next service! It's super easy to do, they pop open the trunk, pour in half the bottle and pour in a gallon of water.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
Came one at 3K miles, bought BMW windsheild fluid and dealership filled it up for me. Costed me $5 and 5 minutes, still have half bottle left for next service! It's super easy to do, they pop open the trunk, pour in half the bottle and pour in a gallon of water.
If they added washer fluid in the "trunk", you must have a very unique X3. Every F25 I've ever seen has the washer fluid tank in the right front fender (which would be extremely hard to reach from the "trunk".).

Now if they popped open the "hood" or in the UK, popped open the "bonnet" it would probably work.

I use Rain-X "Orange"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

If you want to conserve fluid and don't need the headlights sprayed (and it's light enough) you can turn off your headlights manually, wash the windshield, and then turn them back on. At least on my NA car it doesn't wash the headlights when they're off. The headlight washers seem to kick out more fluid than on my 330i's. Haven't been needed so seemed like a waste, maybe will be nice in the bad weather.

Am surprised to hear your comment, though, as I've been happy with how large the reservoir seems to be.

Re which fluid. I've had trouble with the BMW stuff freezing (in a 330i) even when mixed as instructed for the temperatures I was experiencing. Switched to the Rain-X Orange stuff and have had much better results.
      12-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I use Rain-X Orange too. I now feel that the reservoir size is a little light, especially with winter coming and the frequency with which my headlights are washed, so I store a spare jug in the right rear storage bin.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
shivpt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (Second Generation)

I got the message around 4k miles. I filled in RainX orange. I gotta monitor hwo long it lasts before next time the message pops.
      12-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

It holds (5) liters. That should be enough for a long Christmas party!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #14
Sir Wolfie
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 3d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
It holds (5) liters. That should be enough for a long Christmas party!
Thats just a wee dram to warm ur cockles!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #15
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Wolfie View Post
Thats just a wee dram to warm ur cockles!
Ay, but the cost of filling ur X3 reservoir with a decent supply of Bowmore or Laphroaig or anything else that's decent from Isle Islay, will set you back a wee bit more than a gallon of Rain-X "orange".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It's probably the xenons headlight washers. I noticed it going down a lot more on my GTI (with xenons + headlight washers) compared to the Golf I had before (no xenons)
Slightly off track, why do we need headlight washers? Though I hv adaptive xenons but no washers, was wondering when do we need to use headlight washers when in motion? Sorry, no experience of this luxury.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Slightly off track, why do we need headlight washers? Though I hv adaptive xenons but no washers, was wondering when do we need to use headlight washers when in motion? Sorry, no experience of this luxury.
I think they are a legal requirement here if you have xenons (xenons have added washers all both new cars I have bought with xenons). In theory they are handy in the winter when the headlight plastic gets caked in dirt. In practice they aren't all that and you can't beat a proper wipe!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Got the empty warning again today

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Either I don't squirt as much as some of you or you have a water problem. I got to 7k miles and no sign of a warning light that the fluid is low (I have xenons and therefore headlight washers). I filled up in any event to make sure properly concentrated for the colder weather but it didn't need that much.

I have used the washer when needed but I don't think the reserve tank seems small in any way.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #20
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I have xenons and therefore headlight washers.
X3 made for US follow different norms, xenons need not have washers so I will modi fy your sentence to something like this: "I have xenons, I live in UK and therefore headlight washers"

I think the X3 s built for NA have cost reductions into force. We will slowly find out all other differences.
Appreciate 0