BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #1167
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Other food for thought:

Oyster looks much better than beige IMHO, particularly with dark exterior colours. You must have either brushed alu or a wood trim, the satin silver looks rubbish

I would spend the HUD money on a sunroof. Love mine.

Re. VDC, if you're worried about the ride then go for it as it should help. I would recommend a test drive though as I think Normal mode makes the car too floaty for some. I prefer to feel more "connected". That said, I have never driven an X3 with VDC. Just don't rely on reviewers calling it a "must have" option despite having never even driven an X3 without VDC. I smell a marketing trick in the uniformity of this review advice

Not sure on VSS but don't really see the point as servo works well enough for me. It would mean you'd get the Normal/Sport/Sport+ switch if you didn't order VDC

If you prefer the look of M Sport then 100% go for it instead. I personally don't because of its side profile and small-looking-wheel visual effect, and also looking too narrow from the back (less of a problem with black/CB colours) but I'm in the minority - most disagree, but hey, they didn't use the M Sport in the marketing brochures and beauty shots when it was launched, they used a Mineral Silver SE with 309s. Just get which one you like the look of the most

For BMW Apps see this youtube clip. Don't get it for what is available now. The important part is future apps and their potential - bit of a gamble but more of a gamble not to have it IMO

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #1168
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

I think HUD will become a must have option in a couple years time when the price is more like £300. At £900, its not for me, despite being a gadget freak.

I would go for the visibility pack as for me folding mirrors are a must (and I think certain other options require them but I can't remember which), high beam assist is a might-as-well for the cost and adapative is then very little premium when looking at the cost of the pack versus those individual bits already mentioned.

Think about your upgrading your trim as mentioned (to finish it off nicely) - also have a look at the Oyster leather, the two tone is a nice compromise between a lighter interior and black where your feet will hit most of the time (footwells!).

If you are worried about swirls, have a look at the Alpine White in the M Sport- couple of pics above and a thread about twins near this one. Looks stunning.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #1169
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
P.S. Hi TuffLittleUnit - I remember you from the A5 forum
Hiya Plob Great minds think alike

No regrets here in moving from the A5 to the X3 and I was pretty prudent with the options. The business stereo system in the X3 beats the B&O system I had in the A5 ... although i was always convinced mine was either defective or constrained in someway because I didn't have the full MMI setup.
      01-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #1170
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Hi all
I think the main thing that your replies prompted me to do was to have a closer look at the differences between the SE and M Sport models. I guess I hadn’t realised that many of the options I’d chosen were included in the M Sport. I ran up a couple of configurator screens side by side so I could see the differences by quickly switching from one screen to the other. I have to say that I’m really quite taken by the look of the M Sport.

Initially, I hadn’t given the M Sport much brain time as the base model was so much more expensive than the SE and I didn’t want the hard suspension. I hadn't thought that I could delete this until I read DNW’s message. Listening to the discussion between sfax and DNW made me think about the body styling very closely.
All the pics of the Msport really don't do it justice and I thought I prefered the looks of the SE. Howver, someone at work's got one now (alpine white) and my SE does look a little bit dull next to it. No regrets for me because the Msport didn't come out for months after I'd ordered but if I were choosing now I'd seriously consider it, particularly as a private purchase.

I thoroughly recommend the cold weather pack - full heated seats and heated steering wheel have been a real joy and it's not even started to get "proper" cold yet.
      01-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #1171
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Hiya Plob Great minds think alike

No regrets here in moving from the A5 to the X3 and I was pretty prudent with the options. The business stereo system in the X3 beats the B&O system I had in the A5 ... although i was always convinced mine was either defective or constrained in someway because I didn't have the full MMI setup.
+1 on business stereo speakers being excellent

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #1172
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
All the pics of the Msport really don't do it justice and I thought I prefered the looks of the SE. Howver, someone at work's got one now (alpine white) and my SE does look a little bit dull next to it. No regrets for me because the Msport didn't come out for months after I'd ordered but if I were choosing now I'd seriously consider it, particularly as a private purchase.
I should qualify my opinion on the M Sport looks by saying I am still yet to see one in the flesh and I was in the same boat when I ordered in October 2010. Even if I had waited for an M Sport at the time, my lead time of less than 4 months would have invariably increased so it was never a realistic option (and I'd have to pay VAT at 20% )

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #1173
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit
The business stereo system in the X3 beats the B&O system I had in the A5 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax
+1 on business stereo speakers being excellent
Really glad to hear this boys. I have the middle Audi system in the Q5 (the one below the B&O) and it is excellent. If the business setup in the X3 is as good or better than this I'll be very pleased.

On thing that worried me is that there isn't a dedicated sub like there is in the Audi - but I believe that is also the case in the pro system (which adds two more tweeters and better processor) - I like to play Meteora with the bass turned up to shake me awake in the mornings!
      01-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #1174
gemuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemuk View Post
I've just seen the powered bootlid on an X5 and now I'm wondering if I should add this option to my X3 35d m sport? Anyone else opted for powered bootlid operation?
Unfortunately, after speaking to dealership today, I can't change the spec on my order to include the power bootlid ..... Because my car is in production now and expected at dealership on 12th January very happy as original date given was mid April.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #1175
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Hi all
I sat and thought about your comments all weekend and mulled it over more times than I care to remember. The upshot of it all is that I went back to the dealer this morning and modified my order.

I've changed to the M Sport version; deleted the HUD; changed the colour to Carbon Black (I wasn't sure until I saw one in this colour in the showroom - it looks fantastic) and the oyster leather. I left the rest of the options pretty much untouched.

Again, thanks very much to all of you for your feedback. I have now made what I believe to be a much better informed decision.

I just can't wait until it shows up now

Thanks again
Plob
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #1176
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Did you add the wood trim? (I'd go for fineline wave with this combo) - its only £100 extra on the MSport. Personally I don't think the aluminium goes with the lighter interior colours.

If you did then you have the same order as mine! 30d / Carbon Black / Oyster / Fineline Wave
      01-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #1177
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi all
I sat and thought about your comments all weekend and mulled it over more times than I care to remember. The upshot of it all is that I went back to the dealer this morning and modified my order.

I've changed to the M Sport version; deleted the HUD; changed the colour to Carbon Black (I wasn't sure until I saw one in this colour in the showroom - it looks fantastic) and the oyster leather. I left the rest of the options pretty much untouched.

Again, thanks very much to all of you for your feedback. I have now made what I believe to be a much better informed decision.

I just can't wait until it shows up now

Thanks again
Plob
Great choice. CB M Sport with oyster is a winning combination. Looks stunning. Post some pictures when it finally arrives and in the meantime have fun trying to track where it is

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #1178
plob
Private
Rep

Thanks guys
@DNW - I looked at the wooden trim. As nice as it is, it wasn't for me so I stayed with the standard brushed aluminium - which I agree looks nicer than the satin silver. We'll have to make sure we don't park up on the same street or things could get a bit confusing

@sfax - will do. As soon as it arrives and I've stopped grinning long enough to hold the camera -I'll post photos.

Is it March yet... ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #1179
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

The brushed Alu is a great interior on the Msport. Did you get the Xenons???
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #1180
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
The brushed Alu is a great interior on the Msport. Did you get the Xenons???
They're part of the visibility package

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #1181
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I know... never checked his full spec. I was stuck on this page on my Iphone!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #1182
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I know... never checked his full spec. I was stuck on this page on my Iphone!
Have you got the new app? Loads better and works fine with iPhone 4 despite recommending you use 4S

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #1183
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

The App store indicated an update about 10 minutes ago!... I've just downloaded.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #1184
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I can't get the apps working at all.. got the full professional media molarchy, but it never passes the cable test with white or Y cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #1185
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
I can't get the apps working at all.. got the full professional media molarchy, but it never passes the cable test with white or Y cable.
Not sure what you mean Matt. You have BMW Apps and have the BMW Connected Drive app on your iPhone but nothing happens when you connect using the standard white USB and start the BMW Connected Drive app?

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #1186
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
I'm sure your trying the USB connector underneath the armrest? Cause that's the one your supposed to use.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #1187
Stevenuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011

Hi
Just a quick question about the sat nav
What is the white circles that come up at certain places? I look about and can not see what this is?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #1188
plob
Private
Rep

Hi all
In a fit of madness, I've been back to the dealers and updated my order again. I added the Panoramic sunroof.
That's it now - I'm broke

Cheers
Plob
Appreciate 0