BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Moon roof update

Forgot to mention in my earlier test drive post ("Today's X35i Test Drive") that they've updated the moon roof in the 2nd gen, or maybe I should say downgraded it. Not only does it not open as far as the 1st gen X3 (I think due to the change in size of the 2 glass panels), but it no longer vents the same. Whereas the previous version would raise both panes of glass when pushing "up" on the control, the revised version only raises the front pane. No big deal really given it was more asthetic than anything and the new roof rails don't allow as much visual access to the roof line anyway, but one disappointing result of the change is that, when the interior liner is closed and you vent the roof, you no longer get the liner separation in the middle of the headliner - only a 3-4 inch pull-back in the front. Not only might that create more wind noise at speed, but I really liked the mid-liner separation functionality - was sort of a reminder that those meticulous German engineers never miss an opportunity to "separate" themselves from the field.

Oh well, still can't wait for my order to arrive (guessing mid-Feb).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Btw, as I wrote this, I'm watching Sunday Night Football and have now seen the new X3 commercial 4 times in the last 15 minutes. Looks like the promotional blitz is on!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
Btw, as I wrote this, I'm watching Sunday Night Football and have now seen the new X3 commercial 4 times in the last 15 minutes. Looks like the promotional blitz is on!
Yeah just saw that too, first time I've seen the new commercial on TV
Appreciate 0