BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Two different types of speed dials

I was surprised when I saw the x3 for the first time this weekend at the dealers presentation that the new x3 can have different speed dials. The first example of the x3 was a 2.0d manual and it had awful dials. The design was not the one you see in most reviews on the net, they just looked awful. The dealer themselves could not explain to me the difference. I wish I had a photo now to show... I believe it is linked to the small "screen" below the dials, nicer dials have a bigger screen below. Again, am not sure this has to do with taking the automatic or manual or it is smthg else. Another interesting thing I noticed is that with xenon lights the back LED diode lights will be bigger (will stretch the whole way when litten), without xenon the lights will not glow on the trunk part (confirmed by the dealer).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
Tsambi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think I had noticed the same thing in some photos. I put it down to the 28i not having the start stop feature when it comes to a stop. The 20d, 30d and 35i will so I think you get a diff to show status of car engine ie BMW efficient dynamic display. Was one of the cars you saw a 28i and the other car a diff model. Just my own research so could be wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
Tsambi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Let me rephrase. Start stop I outlined is standard in Australia. Maybe different in other markets, like USA does not get initially from what I have read. Perhaps one car you saw had it and the other didn't
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I got confirmation from the dealer that all models in Europe have start stop (20d,30d and 35i with both automatic and manual gearboxes). My guess is that it has to do with the automatic transmission as it was the only car with the manual transmission (other then that it was pretty well equipped). As I mentioned there was a 20d with automatic transmission which had "nicer" styled dials and a bigger screen below it. The reason why I put this post up is for the potential buyers to look into this as I find the dials very dissapointing in terms of design. I have not actually seen the photos of it, but in real life, they really look like they are outdated.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
lvanderh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Yes there are 2 type of speed/rpm dials. If you have the Large Nav System, you will get different dials (including LED or LCD eco meter) compared to the std dials.
If you using the Car config tool and select the large nav system, you will see on the interior picture that the dials change as well
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvanderh View Post
Yes there are 2 type of speed/rpm dials. If you have the Large Nav System, you will get different dials (including LED or LCD eco meter) compared to the std dials.
If you using the Car config tool and select the large nav system, you will see on the interior picture that the dials change as well
Well spotted and you're right although on the UK configurator the differences are subtle. I assume we're saying the dials that come with SatNav look better? I hope that's the case because I have professional multimedia package! They look more 3D but there is less on the rev counter for some reason?

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the dials on the demo car that I drove and that had satnav. Looked very bland but they might grow on me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
MPK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mazda3

The following youtube video has a nice close up view of the x3 speed dial with the larger satnav screen (8.8" display).

It looks like this is the "nicer" of the speed dial - are you able to confirm that Croatian?

Cheers,
MPK
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK View Post
The following youtube video has a nice close up view of the x3 speed dial with the larger satnav screen (8.8" display).

It looks like this is the "nicer" of the speed dial - are you able to confirm that Croatian?

Cheers,
MPK
Good video, thanks. The guy also confirms what I thought about the comfort compared to the Q5. X3 is much more comfortable, particularly if you're tall (I'm 6'3")
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

So that was the Euro spec car with auto start/stopp, which puts another gauge at the bottom of the tachometer. That presumably won't appear on the US spec car. The display area between the round gauges looks clean and nice!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Close up picture of the dash that you get with the professional multimedia package (from yahoo's website).

There are also some other interior pics from different angles on yahoo that I haven't seen before:

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK View Post

Cheers,
MPK
Yes, these are the nice ones!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Well spotted and you're right although on the UK configurator the differences are subtle. I assume we're saying the dials that come with SatNav look better? I hope that's the case because I have professional multimedia package! They look more 3D but there is less on the rev counter for some reason?

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the dials on the demo car that I drove and that had satnav. Looked very bland but they might grow on me
Ivanderh you nailed it, thanks for the photos. They do look more 3d compared to the standard ones. If speaking of dials the ones in the 5 GT and the 7 rock, the x5, x6 has more or less the same like e90 dials. X3 3D ones are somewhere in between (for my taste at least). I always thought dials are one of the most importants parts as one looks at them quite often (at least until one has heads up display I am told).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

I've ordered the standard Business SatNav package and therefore accept that I'll have the less desirable speed dials. I'm not paying another £500. However this seems to be nothing short of mischievous by BMW. Unless I've missed something I can't locate anything in their brochure or website that indicates that there is a less desirable set of dials. The dials in the Honjest John Road Test are worse and different from either example in this thread. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/bmw/bmw-x3-f25

Has anyone actually seen UK spec dials without the Professional SatNav option?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #14
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
I've ordered the standard Business SatNav package and therefore accept that I'll have the less desirable speed dials. I'm not paying another £500. However this seems to be nothing short of mischievous by BMW. Unless I've missed something I can't locate anything in their brochure or website that indicates that there is a less desirable set of dials. The dials in the Honjest John Road Test are worse and different from either example in this thread. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/bmw/bmw-x3-f25

I agree, there is abs no mention of that in the catalogue and it is kind of important. I would also not pay the 500, but would regret it later (as with all options that I end up not taking
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:16 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post

I agree. They make no mention of it in the brochure and this should be made clear. If you switch between the business satnav and the pro satnav and then compare the interior pictures on the configurator you can see it change but the flatter looking dials on the configurator still look better than the dials in honest john's review - his picture is a little blurred though.

I have to say I test drove a car with business advanced sat nav and didn't like the dials at all.

I think BMW are misrepresenting the car by not making this clear. I also don't see any pictures of the lesser dials in the main brochure so you could rightly expect the nicer looking dials regardless of the satnav package you select. I am only looking at the German PDF brochure here and I don't have the printed version in front of me, which would be clearer.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

Here is a you tube video of the dials who follow business navigation.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Just test drove one today with pro navi and it looks awesome bcs the design is more clear and the fuel consumption gauge is digital (vs. manual with other dials). It just looks so much better. Heads-up display is amazing as well, once you have it, you basically only look at that (at least I did).
Appreciate 0