BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i and BMW X3

Visit to BMW HQ and Museum in Munich, Germany

I will be visiting Munich later this year on holiday. Munich is the city which houses the BMW headquarters and the famous museum. Anyone has been there before? How was the experience? And any tips on what are the must see / do activity there?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
czarmar
Private
Rep
Drives: 1999 323i

It's definitely a must see. Schedule a factory tour as well, as it is pretty cool to see the 3 series being built. The BMW museum is pretty cool as well as the Welt. You can see people taking delivery of their BMWs in the Welt (euro delivery would be a great way to enjoy Munchen).
Check out the Deutsches Museum and drink some Weisbier. If you get out of town, Neuschwanstein (sp?) is about 1.5 hours to the south, and Salzburg Austria (Mozart and Sound of Music) is 1.5 hours to the east.

1999 323i with 292K miles
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

I went specifically to Munich to visit the BMW welt in September 2011 for my birthday. The museum, welt and factory tour are all a must. One thing I would say though is make sure you schedule a whole day out for it as we spent nearly all day at the Welt as there's so much to see.

The Olympic park is right next door to the Welt too, that's also well worth a look round on a nice day. I'm not particularly interested in sports but the buildings and the park in general are quite interesting. We also went up the tower, and you can see the whole BMW plant and views around Munich which was quite spectacular (pic attached).

Munich in general is really nice, we stayed right in the centre. The U-bahn is excellent for traveling around on, and quite cheap. Just one word of advice, don't forget to stamp your ticket in the machines!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
deVisée
Rep
Drives: X3

Yes, recommended! I had a fancy dinner in BMW Welt last September, with an after-dinner stroll between some reeeaaally expensive cars...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lee View Post
I will be visiting Munich later this year on holiday. Munich is the city which houses the BMW headquarters and the famous museum. Anyone has been there before? How was the experience? And any tips on what are the must see / do activity there?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Have you been following the Homepage?

Scroll through these categories and you should find plenty of ideas

http://www.bimmerpost.com/europeandelivery/
http://www.bimmerpost.com/classic/

Enjoy your trip!
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
HammerStar
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Keep in mind the factory is usually shut down for vacation the middle two weeks of August - no tours available then.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStar View Post
Keep in mind the factory is usually shut down for vacation the middle two weeks of August - no tours available then.
Will it be opened in early August? My stay in Munich is from 4 - 7 Aug 2013. I hope it is opened because this is my only time available to visit Munich.

Also, in this trip, I wish to fullfill a long time dream ( fantasy? ) of mine to take a drive on a BMW M5 or M6 along the famous autobahn. Do you think I will be able to rent one in Munich? And there is another problem, I think cars in Germany are left hand drive whereas from where I come from, it's right hand drive.

BTW, it will be my first trip to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:

Will it be opened in early August? My stay in Munich is from 4 - 7 Aug 2013. I hope it is opened because this is my only time available to visit Munich.
I can't seem to find when it closes in August on the website, I know when I went (7th Sept) the factory had just reopened the week before I think. So that would suggest it closed all August?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks guys for your inputs.

Also, in this trip, I wish to fullfill a long time dream ( fantasy? ) of mine to take a drive on a BMW M5 or M6 along the famous autobahn. Do you think I will be able to rent one in Munich? And there is another problem, I think cars in Germany are left hand drive whereas from where I come from, it's right hand drive.
We visited the WELT in January and there is an option to rent any BMW by the hour! so I would try and make contact early to book your car of choice!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

I think it's cool that the HQ building (in pic above) was designed after a four-cylinder engine.
      06-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry for the bump.

My dealer is also offering me a customized program, offered to BMW selected customers only ( according to him ) called "BMW Fascination Driving Experience". The program involves me being able to select a variety of BMW cars at the BMW Driving Academy Maisach under the guidance of a personal coach. Has anyone tried this before?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
FOACAD
Airborne!
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW/CR 135i Msport

Munich is by far my favorite city here in Germany.

I have lived here for almost 4 years now and have absolutely loved it. I go to Munich as often as I can too. Been to the Welt meet twice now as well.

The Welt is one of COUNTLESS things to do in and around Munich. Make sure you go to the city center. Walk around down there and see the sites and sample some local beer at either the Hofbrauhaus or Augustiner (my personal favorite).

Stop by the European section of the 1addicts forum on here. It is a pretty active, mostly Germany, group that has some great resources for knowledge. One of the mods, Dackelone, can help you out with pretty much anything you need to know about Munich or Germany in general. He is a great wealth of knowledge and a very helpful person as well.

2012 BMW 135i ///MSport Alpine White / Coral Red Leather
JB4 Stage 2 ISO | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | AR Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Will do. Thank you very much for your suggestion!

Regards
Ben Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
Munich is by far my favorite city here in Germany.

I have lived here for almost 4 years now and have absolutely loved it. I go to Munich as often as I can too. Been to the Welt meet twice now as well.

The Welt is one of COUNTLESS things to do in and around Munich. Make sure you go to the city center. Walk around down there and see the sites and sample some local beer at either the Hofbrauhaus or Augustiner (my personal favorite).

Stop by the European section of the 1addicts forum on here. It is a pretty active, mostly Germany, group that has some great resources for knowledge. One of the mods, Dackelone, can help you out with pretty much anything you need to know about Munich or Germany in general. He is a great wealth of knowledge and a very helpful person as well.
Appreciate 0