BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Slime/gunk - real world experience?

For those of us who don`t want RF-tyres, there are several options:
-mini spare - does not fit under X3/X4 "floor" + jack.
-slime/gunk in pressurized bottle
-slime/gunk and 12V compressor

In my experience mini-spare does work, but jacking up on side of road is hazardous.

Pressurized bottle does not work in an acceptable way.

I have slime and 12 V compressor bought at Amazon, seems OK with me, but so far no experience.

Anybody with experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Great Question. Following with interest!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Great Question. Following with interest!
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
+1
+2
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
For those of us who don`t want RF-tyres, there are several options:
-mini spare - does not fit under X3/X4 "floor" + jack.
-slime/gunk in pressurized bottle
-slime/gunk and 12V compressor

In my experience mini-spare does work, but jacking up on side of road is hazardous.

Pressurized bottle does not work in an acceptable way.

I have slime and 12 V compressor bought at Amazon, seems OK with me, but so far no experience.

Anybody with experience?
I would not recommend Slime.

Cleaning it up after using it is a complete disaster. It'll be expensive.

You're better off having a plug/patch kit in your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

I have a plug kit in my car as well as a 12V compressor. I haven't ever used the slime but I've heard similar things to Polo08816 where it's a real PITA to clean up after.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Again guys - does anyone have any real world experience of a plug kit. A 12v compressor has to be a given, i would say. I have 3 compressors (1 in each car)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

I'm using a 12V compressor that also comes with a "slime like" substance should I need it. It is supposed to be TPMS safe. Over the past 25+ years of driving though any flat I have had was a result of a nail or screw in the tire causing a slow leak. Each time all I had to do was pump up the tire with a compressor (just air, no slime) and take it to a place to have the flat fixed when it was convenient. Since it was not a run flat any tire shop can do it. I've never had to/ needed to patch my own tire. For me I like it patched from the inside. While you CAN drive on a run flat doing so can ruin the tire for future use as it could damage the sidewall. I feel much better having a compressor in the car. Yes, if I had a total blow out I would have to get a tow.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Are there any recommendations for non RF tyres? I am running a staggered 19" set up on Pirellis and have been experimenting with tyre pressures but keep wondering what handling would be like with non RF tyres.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
The Amazon web site has a number of reviews describing the real world experiences of owners that used the Slime tire repair kit. Admittedly, many of these reviews are from persons that purchased the kit but have not used it or used only the compressor and are not on point.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Sa...&sortBy=recent
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
Tjalle
Major
Rep

The INFO on Amazon is not - to my mind - completely trustworthy nor comprehensive.

I don't understand the need for "cleaning up" after use, I have used pressurized bottle and filled up with compressor in garage, without "cleaning". Non-TPMS wheel.

I don't understand why slime should destroy TPMS - there are slime-sets where manufacturer claim it does not interfere with TPMS function.

I have seen a plug/patch set in local shop, which I don't believe in.

Again - any real world experience from this forum?

I am beginning to believe that punctures are very rare - especially on "new" vehicles.

The punctures I have had are due to low pressure/high speed - people in Sweden seem not to throw nails at random. I do appreciate TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
The INFO on Amazon is not - to my mind - completely trustworthy nor comprehensive.
Like you I take reviews on Amazon with a grain of salt. However, Amazon has more than 100 reviews of this product. The sheer number provides an opportunity to look for a consensus and evaluate the credibility and relevance of specific reviews.

While I have certainly benefited and learned from posts by members of this community, the info here is also not always completely trustworthy nor comprehensive. While this forum may provide more useful insights in response to your query, it still may not yield a sufficient number of real world experiences to be statistically significant.

One other point that may be of interest is in October 2013 Consumer Reports magazine in the US tested several tire sealants. Continental ContiComfortKit, Slime Safety Spair and Fix-A-Flat Ultimate kits among others were all deemed effective to seal punctures in tests using 1.5mm and 4.2mm nails. The tires were driven 100 miles after sealing and inflating the tires to 40 psi with these kits.

The CR article also noted sealants coated the inside of the tire and wheel with a messy residue which had to be cleaned from the wheel, TPMS sensor and the tire when the tire was repaired or replaced. While it was acknowledged the sealant might interfere with operation of the TPMS, in the CR tests the TPMS sensor remained operable with each of these kits. Below is a link to a video related to the CR tests.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 05-17-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Again guys - does anyone have any real world experience of a plug kit. A 12v compressor has to be a given, i would say. I have 3 compressors (1 in each car)
I've plugged tires with the kit before.

Some tips that I've learned:
1. When filing the hole in the tire, keep it inflated. It will allow the file to go back and forth more smoothly. RFTs are notoriously hard to file compared to non-RFTs.
2. Use a lot of force. Work out, take protein, or take steroids if necessary.

The plug method is "okay". If you track the car, you'll want to patch + plug.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #14
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
Are there any recommendations for non RF tyres? I am running a staggered 19" set up on Pirellis and have been experimenting with tyre pressures but keep wondering what handling would be like with non RF tyres.
I had the same set-up as you and replaced my run flat tyres with Pirelli P Zero Rosso. The handling is great, with less road noise and less feedback from road imperfections. I have the BMW emergency inflate kit with a compressor and slime. I haven't had to use it in the two years since replacing the tyres.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #15
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
I had the same set-up as you and replaced my run flat tyres with Pirelli P Zero Rosso. The handling is great, with less road noise and less feedback from road imperfections. I have the BMW emergency inflate kit with a compressor and slime. I haven't had to use it in the two years since replacing the tyres.
So what is the plan if you do get a visit from the "P" fairy?
1. Assess the damage, and decide if regular frequent compressor top ups will get you home.
2. Use the slime and worry about the mess at replacement time
3. Ride the tyre to the fitters and buy a new one.
4.call out the 4th emergency service and be prepared for a low loader.
5. All of the above?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #16
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
Like you I take reviews on Amazon with a grain of salt. However, Amazon has more than 100 reviews of this product. The sheer number provides an opportunity to look for a consensus and evaluate the credibility and relevance of specific reviews.

While I have certainly benefited and learned from posts by members of this community, the info here is also not always completely trustworthy nor comprehensive. While this forum may provide more useful insights in response to your query, it still may not yield a sufficient number of real world experiences to be statistically significant.

One other point that may be of interest is in October 2013 Consumer Reports magazine in the US tested several tire sealants. Continental ContiComfortKit, Slime Safety Spair and Fix-A-Flat Ultimate kits among others were all deemed effective to seal punctures in tests using 1.5mm and 4.2mm nails. The tires were driven 100 miles after sealing and inflating the tires to 40 psi with these kits.

The CR article also noted sealants coated the inside of the tire and wheel with a messy residue which had to be cleaned from the wheel, TPMS sensor and the tire when the tire was repaired or replaced. While it was acknowledged the sealant might interfere with operation of the TPMS, in the CR tests the TPMS sensor remained operable with each of these kits. Below is a link to a video related to the CR tests.
Thank you. Finally somebody injected some rational info in this thread, instead of fear mongering. BMW puts a mobility kit in their M cars, which I've seen compared to the Conti kit, so I'm sure it's fine to use one of these top brand ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:15 AM   #17
Tjalle
Major
Rep

MichiganMike - valuable INFO. Thanks.

I noted thar CR said that slime might interfere with TPMS - but had not in their tests, and looking at the design of TPMS, I don`t think it will. I used slime to seal a leak in my 3-piece rims on my 9000- so far no problem, but I have not yet changed tires.

I know that tyreshops don't like slime, but I see no real reason why there is a need to remove slime on the rims when changing tyres- if slime is evenly distributed, which it will be if driven shortly after injection.

Hankook is coming out with tyres that have built-in slime.

Since BMW M use slime, I believe it is OK. Today I have slime ready for winterwheels, but I will use also on summertires when I have to buy new.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:13 AM   #18
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Coming back to the OP then....

A slime bottle will work depending on the size of the puncture.
It may be better to just stop every 5-10 miles and top up the air.
A roadside plug/patch kit can work.

Bottom line is to carry a compressor, slime and patch kit. But never leave your house without credit card, AA card and a fully charged phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #19
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Bottom line is to carry a compressor, slime and patch kit. But never leave your house without credit card, AA card and a fully charged phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #20
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Absolutely.....agree...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #21
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

1. OK. Let us take this further. For European X3's only. How many of you are driving on NON Run Flats and need to carry a slime or Continental/BMW sealant kit?

2. Please list if they are BMW * rated or not.

3. Which manufacturer's NON Run Flat tyres are you using?

4. Is your set up staggered or non staggered?

5. Tyre supplier and fitting centre?

Last edited by Peter_R; 05-18-2016 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #22
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Is there a shelf life associated with the slime kit? I bought the Conti Comfort kit for my old E90 a while back - fortunately never had to use it and it's since transitioned to my father's X3 as part of his emergency kit... but the compound must be close to ten years old now.
Appreciate 0