BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #23
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiopio View Post
Sard. Does it feel secure enough that you'd be able to load 4 boards on there? 2 up and two down?
Most definitely!!

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
ESTs are great if you find that you'd like to change up stances frequently (but don't since its such a PITA). Based on the snow conditions I'll occasionally opt to go from a duck-footed stance for riding switch to a directional stance for more high speed carving. On powder days I'll just slide both bindings back a few inches to get on the tail to make it easier to keep the front of my board floating over the pow. The beauty of the EST system to me is how quickly you can make these changes by just loosening 2 screws on the OUTSIDE of the bindings and easily dial in variations. All positions of the binding are infinitely adjustable and each adjustment type is enumerated so you can always dial in different settings and return to previous ones with precision (there's a central 'window' that shows all the setting values). I'm not sure if I really feel the benefits of having my feet closer to the board thanks to the elimination of a true baseplate but perhaps thats because I'm not a heavy park/pipe rider other than hitting tabletops and kickers.

The only drawback is that they lock you into the world of Burton since they're the only ones who make ICS boards (that interface with EST). I haven't looked this season yet so maybe that will change as board manufacturers start to license out the ICS technology--but I'm not holding my breath.

FYI I spoke with Thule's service guy today and he said that they don't have a measurement table for the little slide thingies on the Aeroblades for the X3 nor does he expect that they will. You just line 'em up so they attach to the rails properly and try to keep the load bars centered...
Does ics and est feel just as solid/secure as traditional setup? Looks like its less secure/ one unit ..

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #25
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

This is now a snowboard thread ... don't look for EST or InfiniteRide on your X3!

I've avoided ESTs having previously gone with Burton's bespoke Si bindings and boots a good decade or so ago. They were great for stepping in (duh!) like skiers but now that tech is defunct and I'm back on traditional kit I've realised just how much the standard tech has moved on.

I do wonder how long EST will be around for before something else comes along and of course it's board AND bindings that need to be changed then.

Any thoughts on clothing? I'm currently a big fan of 686 stuff, esp the Smarty range but with holidays in the US next year I'm wondering if it's still worth dropping into the Burton outlets and picking up AK gear.
      12-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Does ics and est feel just as solid/secure as traditional setup? Looks like its less secure/ one unit ..
I actually feel that my EST bindings felt more secure than my previous bindings, but I've been riding Flow bindings for the last 5-6 years so that really isn't a good comparison. I currently have Cartel ESTs mounted on my Custom ICS and traditional C60s on my Arbor A-Frame, so comparing between those two wouldn't be entirely fair either. For what its worth, I think the ESTs feel just as secure as my C60 bindings albeit softer...but that is by design of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
Jcochran
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Has anyone's used the Thule flush mounts to carry 4 snowboards? Is there enough clearance to carry an upside down snowboard without touching the roof? Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #28
eddorz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Hey Sards & Utcadman,

Have you guys experienced any issues with the pull top system? I'm just wondering if that pull out system holds up to the constant pull out, loading and unloading. I am planning to get the system for my X3 for this season and I really like how you don't have to climb up on your car just to place boards & skis on top. I got the M package on my 2014 X3 so I don't have the side step.

utcadman: like the guy above me asked, how is the clearance when having boards on the flush setup that you have? I was just worried about chunky bindings rubbing against the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #29
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddorz View Post
Hey Sards & Utcadman,

Have you guys experienced any issues with the pull top system? I'm just wondering if that pull out system holds up to the constant pull out, loading and unloading. I am planning to get the system for my X3 for this season and I really like how you don't have to climb up on your car just to place boards & skis on top. I got the M package on my 2014 X3 so I don't have the side step.

utcadman: like the guy above me asked, how is the clearance when having boards on the flush setup that you have? I was just worried about chunky bindings rubbing against the sunroof.
Sorry for the late response. I've only used it once so far. Having a 2 year old sort of put everything on the back burner. It seems sturdy enough for many years of use. No issues..I had a similar pull out system from Thule that I used frequently in the past..no problems there either. They both seem to be about the same design. Wish I never sold that one as it would have fit the same on my aerobars.

Appreciate 0