BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2023, 11:05 PM   #1
chris55552
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i

Didnt even make it home from the dealer (water pump and thermostat)

For anyone considering getting a waterpump and thermostat replaced as proactive measure, Dont let what happened to me happened to you. I purchased mine in houston tx, being from Louisiana it was a 300 mile drive both ways. Picked up the car on the way home didnt even get out of houston and it started overheating, which was around 4pm in the evening. Had to get off the loop and pulled off into the pasadena area and called the dealership the asswhole salesman was more worried about me tearing up the vehicle than my safety. Phone dies after multiple attempts to reach someone and not knowing where I was, and the people in that area arent real fluent in english and im not so fluent in spanish so it was a mess. I ended up sleeping in the car, woke up at 3 in the morning and a cop stopped and called a cab for me to go to a hotel to get rested and ready to tee off on the dealership that morning. Its going to go out eventually and your probably going to get stranded so be proactive with it and just avoid what happened to me. Im lucky i wasnt killed that night.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #2
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Woah.

Miles on car when this occurred?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW x3 F25 xDrive28i xLine

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris55552 View Post
For anyone considering getting a waterpump and thermostat replaced as proactive measure, Dont let what happened to me happened to you. I purchased mine in houston tx, being from Louisiana it was a 300 mile drive both ways. Picked up the car on the way home didnt even get out of houston and it started overheating, which was around 4pm in the evening. Had to get off the loop and pulled off into the pasadena area and called the dealership the asswhole salesman was more worried about me tearing up the vehicle than my safety. Phone dies after multiple attempts to reach someone and not knowing where I was, and the people in that area arent real fluent in english and im not so fluent in spanish so it was a mess. I ended up sleeping in the car, woke up at 3 in the morning and a cop stopped and called a cab for me to go to a hotel to get rested and ready to tee off on the dealership that morning. Its going to go out eventually and your probably going to get stranded so be proactive with it and just avoid what happened to me. Im lucky i wasnt killed that night.
sorry to hear this, please advise the mileage this happened.

it is wise to carry a portable battery charger bank with you so you can charge your phone and other devices if need be. Leave it in your suitcase or backpack, do not leave it inside a car since it may get warm and cause damage if not explode or degrade the battery inside the bank.

the water pump alone is 700-900$... I will add this to the list.
I did this service on my VW (Audi 2.oT motor), around the same cost...

damn plastic water pumps.... thank God BMW does not use plastic water pumps.
      07-20-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

The water pump can be held off (it's already a newer part that doesn't fail as easily as the E-Chassis generation), usually the thermostat is the culprit. I've got a new thermostat just for preventative measures.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 08:18 AM   #5
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
The water pump can be held off (it's already a newer part that doesn't fail as easily as the E-Chassis generation), usually the thermostat is the culprit. I've got a new thermostat just for preventative measures.
Oh, Ok, good to know.

I did replace the thermostat on the F25 x3 N20 I currently drive.
I did not touch the waterpump as it's still good, others did recommend I replace it while replacing the TS.
      07-21-2023, 08:19 AM   #6
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris55552 View Post
and at least you fell asleep in a BMW... and a cop found you instead of something or someone else.... be grateful.

I would hate to fall asleep in a non-BMW.... no offence...
I wouldn't sleep in a BMW unless I had no other option...
      07-24-2023, 07:27 PM   #7
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4-Silverstone, 2017 X3

Im guessing they didn't purge the system of air???? I did mine preemptively and she runs perfect, the procedure must be done properly though. Never trust BMW dealer mechanics, they have left lose bolts on my vehicles, broken things, and I almost always have to return to have the job finished correctly.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2023, 01:30 PM   #8
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClampThurst View Post
Im guessing they didn't purge the system of air???? I did mine preemptively and she runs perfect, the procedure must be done properly though. Never trust BMW dealer mechanics, they have left lose bolts on my vehicles, broken things, and I almost always have to return to have the job finished correctly.
+1

do not trust BMW dealership techs/mechanics.... ALWAYS open the engine hood and check using your own eyes and make sure everything looks OK.

maybe get another mechanic to inspect the work done by the dealership.

Remember, it's not the brand, it's the people representing the brand and the ones that work for the brand, that make the difference in QC/R&D and customer service.

I always do this, no matter what car brand, I check under the hood, I do a 360 walk around the car, I take pictures/videos as well.

Just incase there is damage after it goes through for repair and comes out with damages that weren't there when I dropped the car off.

Live and Learn... I'm sure this will help others. Keep sharing your experiences.
      11-05-2023, 08:30 PM   #9
chris55552
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i

mileage

occured at 44k
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 08:32 PM   #10
chris55552
Private
Rep