BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
MurrayX3
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

Minor steering resistance/discrete steps at high-speed in 2012 X3

When driving 65-90 mph on long trips I've noticed that with both my hands on the wheel the normal minor feedback I provide the steering wheel seems to meet resistance and be meted out in discrete jumps of a degree or two of the steering wheel instead of a more continuous steering input.

This is on a 2012 X3 28i, well equipped but without the dynamic handling / variable sport steering which would obviously affect steering.

I haven't noticed this on my other cars (including other bmws).

Any thoughts on what causes this?

- Murray
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Greenman7612
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 740iL

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 si  [0.00]
2013 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
X3 Steering

My 2011 X3 develops "notchy" steering when it gets hot. It makes driving difficult. Has anyone experienced the same and what did dealer do to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

I've noticed exactly the same thing. After 10 or 15 minutes of highway driving. But mine is only notchy when coming off of center, not higher steering angles. Dealer could not reproduce it. Said they had no idea, and I don't think they really ever understood exactly what I was describing. I did a search on various forums and none of my terms got any hits.

My theories:

- The speed-sensitive variable-assist on the power steering pump gets a little flaky.
- There's a bushing in the steering system that gets warm and "sticks" a little.
- Adaptive Headlight mechanical linkage gets a little sticky.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingX3 View Post
I've noticed exactly the same thing. After 10 or 15 minutes of highway driving. But mine is only notchy when coming off of center, not higher steering angles. Dealer could not reproduce it. Said they had no idea, and I don't think they really ever understood exactly what I was describing. I did a search on various forums and none of my terms got any hits.

My theories:

- The speed-sensitive variable-assist on the power steering pump gets a little flaky.
- There's a bushing in the steering system that gets warm and "sticks" a little.
- Adaptive Headlight mechanical linkage gets a little sticky.
This vehicle has electric power assist so there is no power steering pump.
The steering shaft only has bearings, no bushings
There is no mechanical linkage for the adaptive headlamp system.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
mstgeer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 017 F85 Donnington Grey, Arago

Mine also has these symptoms in hot weather. This is a known issue with the z4s. I have not investigated if the x3 has the same electric steering motor. The solution for the z4 is to drill and install a grease fitting in the case if the electric steering housing to allow injection of grease. Search BMW sticky steering fix for diy.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
This vehicle has electric power assist so there is no power steering pump.
The steering shaft only has bearings, no bushings
There is no mechanical linkage for the adaptive headlamp system.
I stand corrected on my speculations. Thanks!

I read several of the Z4 threads. Seems it was more dramatic for them.
BTW, the temperatures have finally dropped below 80 here in Houston, and the problem has pretty much gone away. Which leads me to my solution: move to Antarctica.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Perhaps it's your tires. I'm running 245's all around and notice the same thing but they are Pirelli Sottozeros so higher temps of 70*+ do affect them.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
dustobub
Rep
Drives: None

I was just curious if anyone found a fix for this? The Z4 grease fix sounds intriguing, but without any photos/guides of how to apply it to the F25 EPS, I'm hesitant to try it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 06:13 AM   #9
Funkkydrummer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (F25), BMW 320Ci (E46)

I’m getting this issue. Has anybody been able to work out what the problem is before I go pulling the car apart??
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkkydrummer View Post
I’m getting this issue. Has anybody been able to work out what the problem is before I go pulling the car apart??
Reviving this thread…mine has been notchy as described in this thread. Maybe there is another answer for this…but I’ll tell you what I did and didn’t know I did it. I think I have just got familiar with the little “jump” in the steering wheel and stopped noticing it. Fast forward to maintenance day. I changed both diff fluids and transfer case fluid. Today I was on a 209!mile trip and it hit me….my steering wheel is not “jumping” at all. I tested this all over the road at varying speeds from 60-80mph. I have a ‘11 28i BTW. So, I don’t know if it is another answer or if it is actually related to the transfer case or differentials
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #11
ZMM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkkydrummer View Post
Problem fixed. Ended up being the horrible fitting VRSF CP. The portion of the lower steering linkage is square shaped. When I would make right hand turns the engine must have been slightly shifting and the of corner of the square shaped linkage would make contact with the CP.

I had to remove and re-adjust the CP and it seems to have maybe .5mm clearance now. It was pretty easy to diagnose once the CP was off because the corner ends of the linkage rubbed a quarter sized aluminum bare spot where it was making contact. Had I put the diagnosing on the back burner, I'm pretty sure it would have rubbed a hole into the CP in a couple weeks time. Oddly enough, I never heard a rubbing sound when listening for it.

Went for a 10-20 minute test drive with a bunch of slow right hand turns and it didn't do it a single time.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 11:24 AM   #12
Bluerolo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3

Notchy steering off center

Hi all, I’m experiencing the problem the OP described on my 2011 X3. Steering is perfect around town, but after approximately 15 miles of highway speed driving the minor corrections off of center needed to navigate at 60+ MPH are met with a notchy or resistance type feeling…very uncomfortable. I did the BMW part steering rack thrust bushing which did take care of the slight knocking as the wheel was rocked with the engine off, but it did not correct this…anyone else figure out what this may be caused by?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:20 AM   #13
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM View Post
Problem fixed. Ended up being the horrible fitting VRSF CP. The portion of the lower steering linkage is square shaped. When I would make right hand turns the engine must have been slightly shifting and the of corner of the square shaped linkage would make contact with the CP.

I had to remove and re-adjust the CP and it seems to have maybe .5mm clearance now. It was pretty easy to diagnose once the CP was off because the corner ends of the linkage rubbed a quarter sized aluminum bare spot where it was making contact. Had I put the diagnosing on the back burner, I'm pretty sure it would have rubbed a hole into the CP in a couple weeks time. Oddly enough, I never heard a rubbing sound when listening for it.

Went for a 10-20 minute test drive with a bunch of slow right hand turns and it didn't do it a single time.
Can you supply some pictures
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:05 AM   #14
RobinF25
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2015 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerolo View Post
Hi all, I’m experiencing the problem the OP described on my 2011 X3. Steering is perfect around town, but after approximately 15 miles of highway speed driving the minor corrections off of center needed to navigate at 60+ MPH are met with a notchy or resistance type feeling…very uncomfortable. I did the BMW part steering rack thrust bushing which did take care of the slight knocking as the wheel was rocked with the engine off, but it did not correct this…anyone else figure out what this may be caused by?
I have the same issue on my 2014 F25 LCI. It is mostly noticeable at highway speeds when doing slight corrections, and it feels like the steering wheel turns on "steps" much like the media navigation wheel. But of course much more subtle. This is mostly noticeable around center, but I do notice it in bigger wheel adjustments too.

Hope to find a solution soon, I just got this car after not having had a BMW for many years, and I missed the precise and nice steering and driving feel...This ruins it.
Appreciate 0