BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
smytw
Private
Rep
Drives: Used to have '15 X35i

NAVI... a little lost!

What can possibly cause the NAVI to think is somewhere else?. For the past three days in a row, I have gotten in my car and come to work, but noticed the NAVI thinks is not at my house, but rather at random place on the grid.
This seems to be a random place within 40 miles radius of actual location. Funny thing is, I get to work.. NAVI still lost.. and by the time I go to lunch some 5 hours later.. NAVI is back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

It happens to mine as well but rarely. It could be to do with not being able to connect to the gps satellites properly but if you either enter in an address and give it time it normally finds its self once you get going but if you want to do a quick reset of the idrive then just hold down the volume button till the idrive screen goes blank
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Could be someone with a GPS signal blocker in the area?-
Have you got a smart phone with GPS that you can test with?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

What is between your car and the sky when the nav gives you an incorrect position? Garage, trees, buildings? GPS receivers need to be able to have unobstructed line of sight to multiple satellites in order to get a good fix. Fewer satellites mean that it takes longer to get a fix (possibly explains the "five hours later it is correct").

My nav ('14 X3 35i, option 609) did not work well inside the Hilton garage next to George R Brown when I was there two weeks ago, but worked flawlessly when I was outside. I had some sat radio reception issues in the "canyons" downtown.

Else - run it into the dealer. My one service trip to a dealer in Houston several years ago was to the downtown dealership - they were prompt, helpful and overall gave me good service.