BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Briant73
Rep
Drives: Highlander

Thinking about a new X3 28i

I'm new to this forum and BMWs overall but am looking at possibly purchasing a new X3 to replace a 2010 Toyota Highlander SE. I know there are a lot of threads of this sort (which I have read over) but still had questions and hoping you guys are willing to share your knowledge with me. I like my 2010 Highlander overall but wanted to see what was out there and so far the X3 and a few others have caught my attention so on to my questions -

Sounds like 2014 are about to ramp up, does BMW give incentives on last year model after the new model year rolls out?

I see a lot of people mentioning a good deal is usually $500.00 over invoice, does factory ordering a new vehicle negate the usual deal? (I have had vehicles located but never factory ordered before)

How long do all season run flats usually last? I do more city driving and where I live we get all four seasons. I did test drive after a snow storm with some roads still not in great shape and it was decent handling.

Is there a seat comfort difference between the standard leatherette and leather with lumbar support? I have test drove both versions and so far have not been able to get comfortable both my left leg and lower back has bothered me afterwards. I'm 5' 8" and weigh under 200 pounds so maybe this could just be adjusting to the contours of the seat and needing to find a better seat position but I know sometimes leather seats with lumbar can make a big difference. The dealer may arrange an extended test of an X3 so I can get a better idea about this.

I take it premium sound is a nice upgrade? The stock stereo ws OK but not great. I see satellite unless included in a package is not standard is that correct? Also I currently have an XM lifetime is that transferrable to BMW?

Xenon lights - reading here and talking to the dealer it sounds like this is a must have.

Can leather and wood interior trim be had without the premium package?

Alum brush vs Silver Matte - Hard to see much of a difference if I stick with leatherette between these but maybe there is?

Backup Camera - Does this camera have the ability to tell you how close you are to an object or just a camera view (says it may have static/trac lines on the website). Also is the backup camera in the tech package different from the stand alone option ?

40/20/40 rear seat over 40/60, is the only difference how it folds?

I guess that's a lot of questions hope you all don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
I'm new to this forum and BMWs overall but am looking at possibly purchasing a new X3 to replace a 2010 Toyota Highlander SE. I know there are a lot of threads of this sort (which I have read over) but still had questions and hoping you guys are willing to share your knowledge with me. I like my 2010 Highlander overall but wanted to see what was out there and so far the X3 and a few others have caught my attention so on to my questions -

Sounds like 2014 are about to ramp up, does BMW give incentives on last year model after the new model year rolls out?

Yes, new car prices always drop when next year's model comes out.

I see a lot of people mentioning a good deal is usually $500.00 over invoice, does factory ordering a new vehicle negate the usual deal? (I have had vehicles located but never factory ordered before)

No- that's about what I paid on a factory order model that took less than 3 weeks to receive. The dealer may do better with a leftover model on the lot.

How long do all season run flats usually last? I do more city driving and where I live we get all four seasons. I did test drive after a snow storm with some roads still not in great shape and it was decent handling.

Happy with snow performance of all-seasons run flats. Brand new- don't know about lasting time.

Is there a seat comfort difference between the standard leatherette and leather with lumbar support? I have test drove both versions and so far have not been able to get comfortable both my left leg and lower back has bothered me afterwards. I'm 5' 8" and weigh under 200 pounds so maybe this could just be adjusting to the contours of the seat and needing to find a better seat position but I know sometimes leather seats with lumbar can make a big difference. The dealer may arrange an extended test of an X3 so I can get a better idea about this.

Leather with Lumbar and sport seats are best.

I take it premium sound is a nice upgrade? The stock stereo ws OK but not great. I see satellite unless included in a package is not standard is that correct? Also I currently have an XM lifetime is that transferrable to BMW?

Premium sound is nice upgrade. Satellite is free for 1 year with purchase of pacakge. Don't know about transfer.

Xenon lights - reading here and talking to the dealer it sounds like this is a must have.

Must have- I'll never go back to non-Xenons. Lights up the rode so much better along with fogs. I don't use High beams much anymore

Go to "Build" on BMW website.

Alum brush vs Silver Matte - Hard to see much of a difference if I stick with leatherette between these but maybe there is?

Don't know.

Backup Camera - Does this camera have the ability to tell you how close you are to an object or just a camera view (says it may have static/trac lines on the website). Also is the backup camera in the tech package different from the stand alone option ?

There's an audible sound that increases with proximity. Same Camera.

Yes, 40/20/40 gives you the ability to slide long items through between the 2 back seats like skis, golf clubs, etc. Also, 2 people may sit comfortably around the items in the back seat. I love this feature since we're skiiers and golfers.

I guess that's a lot of questions hope you all don't mind.
Yes, that alot of questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I am waiting for a year end incentive as well, I dont expect much incentives for teh 2013, maybe a $1000 or so.
Usually if you order a car, the discount will be less.
Runflat tires in the city usually last for about 25K to 30K miles.
seat comfort wise, there is no difference between the standard leatherette and leather. Try the extended test drive, sometimes it takes a long time to get the seat adjusted just right.
satellite is not standard.
BMW use Sirius, you need to call them and find out if XM is transferrable to Sirius.
Leather only comes with premium package.
The back up camera have lines telling you the distance and trajectory.
If you want audible sound, you need to add parking sensors or the tech package.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Briant73
Rep

Thanks for the responses, I am new to BMW and the car shopping experience is a bit different from other brands though so far it's been going well. I have a budget and am trying to find vehicles/options that fit my range. Other vehicles I also am checking out are the new Grand Cherokee Limited, Acura RDX, Audi Q5 and Toyota Highlander limited. The Highlander I know and it's about to be redesigned somewhat for 2014, the Grand Cherokee seems like a great vehicle that can go off-road some but I am not sure about the quality and interior seemed small for the size of the vehicle compared to my Highlander, also the 2014 model is due to start showing up soon with the 8 speed transmission. The Audi Q5 seems like a great vehicle but not sure about 2.0t engine power and the looks that a lot of people love don't resonate with me the same. Acura RDX nice vehicle but the AWD system doesn't seem that robust and again the design/feel doesn't resonate with me like the others.

I have contacted SiriusXM about transferring my current XM to a BMW. I will await their answers.

As for the seats glad to hear it's not a big difference though I do like the feel of the leather a bit better and the silver(white?) stitching is a nice touch. Not sure if I need the added 4 way lumbar yet.

I am hoping to do an extended test drive soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I transferred an XM subscription from a portable XM receiver to a Subaru with a Sirius radio, and no questions were asked.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
I think the premium pack should be standard, maybe without the leather. Ambiance lighting I think is a must especially if you drive at night a lot. Also I don't know if your interested in the pano moonroof but if you are along with the xenons.. Those equipped on a 28i makes the price difference with the 35i only like 2k with all that and more standard...

Ok I'm getting carried away, if your on a budget, why not check out the X1? That's quite a bit cheaper and just as cool IMO
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Briant73
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch35iM View Post
I think the premium pack should be standard, maybe without the leather. Ambiance lighting I think is a must especially if you drive at night a lot. Also I don't know if your interested in the pano moonroof but if you are along with the xenons.. Those equipped on a 28i makes the price difference with the 35i only like 2k with all that and more standard...

Ok I'm getting carried away, if your on a budget, why not check out the X1? That's quite a bit cheaper and just as cool IMO
Thanks for the response I have priced out the 35i and am considering that also depending how pricing goes but the 28i engine seems to do well powering the vehicle. As for the X1 seems a bit small IMO though very nice. As for budget what I meant I have an idea in mind what I am willing to spend for a new vehicle and the X3 falls into that category.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Briant73
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
I transferred an XM subscription from a portable XM receiver to a Subaru with a Sirius radio, and no questions were asked.
Thanks, though it's not a deal breaker I figure it's best to research beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the response I have priced out the 35i and am considering that also depending how pricing goes but the 28i engine seems to do well powering the vehicle. As for the X1 seems a bit small IMO though very nice. As for budget what I meant I have an idea in mind what I am willing to spend for a new vehicle and the X3 falls into that category.
Yeah I agree the X1 sits a bit too low for me. I test drove both the 4 and 6 cyl. The 4 has way more than enough punch for everyday driving but the 6 is just a rocket I love mine
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Edlogix
Rep
Drives: 2013 640i GC & 2011 X3

Quote:
As with many other manufacturers, the best possible deal can be obtained with cars already at the dealer lot. Look for the online inventory, then visit the dealer and try to find the oldest car in the inventory (Here in Texas the dealer must do the state inspection at the moment that the car is received, and there is a date in the sticker so you can figure it out)
Quote:
When I got mine I find the sport seats to be extremely more comfortable vs the standard seats, have you try them?
Quote:
Xenon were a must for me too, (also the version with the standard lighting does not come with angel eyes) Look for the convenience package, it includes the lights, the comfort access and the rear shades
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
The only difference is the middle of the seat, the 40/20/40 allows you to place something large in the cargo area like skis
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 & 335i E93

Get comfort access. We bought one in December with out and I don't know what the German engineers were thinking. You cannot lock the car w/o the key fob when exiting! You cannot lock it and close the door, something I have been able to do since I started driving. Also don't get BMWapps. Doen't work especially with Android. The 2.8 engine works great.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Briant73
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ml3456 View Post
Get comfort access. We bought one in December with out and I don't know what the German engineers were thinking. You cannot lock the car w/o the key fob when exiting! You cannot lock it and close the door, something I have been able to do since I started driving. Also don't get BMWapps. Doen't work especially with Android. The 2.8 engine works great.
So you are saying one can't lock the doors, exit the vehicle and then close the door unless you use the keyfob or have the upgraded access feature? I haven't heard of something like that either. Thanks for the heads up I can check this out next time I look at one in person.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Briant73
Rep

So going through the 2013 configuration and pricing sheets comparing to the 2014 pricing sheets that are out there and noticed some changes for the x28i version -

2014 includes standard - auto dimming mirrors, storage compartment, univ. garage door opener, ambiance lighting, 40/20/40 fold rear seat, BMW assist and teleservice.

After that I noticed the packages changed up some and the same with stand alone options - some examples are Comfort keyless access is only found in the premium package, trim options are now stand alone for $500.00 instead of included with the premium package, and some other changes.

But what's odd to me is the Premium package for 2013 is only 250 more than 2014 yet 2014 lost dimming mirrors, trim pieces, ambiance lighting, univ garage door opener, storage package. The only piece it gained was satellite radio subscription for 1 year which moved out of the premium radio package of 2013 (which was $75 more than just premium sound in 2014).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
So going through the 2013 configuration and pricing sheets comparing to the 2014 pricing sheets that are out there and noticed some changes for the x28i version -

2014 includes standard - auto dimming mirrors, storage compartment, univ. garage door opener, ambiance lighting, 40/20/40 fold rear seat, BMW assist and teleservice.

After that I noticed the packages changed up some and the same with stand alone options - some examples are Comfort keyless access is only found in the premium package, trim options are now stand alone for $500.00 instead of included with the premium package, and some other changes.

But what's odd to me is the Premium package for 2013 is only 250 more than 2014 yet 2014 lost dimming mirrors, trim pieces, ambiance lighting, univ garage door opener, storage package. The only piece it gained was satellite radio subscription for 1 year which moved out of the premium radio package of 2013 (which was $75 more than just premium sound in 2014).
Don't try to make sense out of BMW marketing decisions about packages and options .
      02-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Briant73
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Don't try to make sense out of BMW marketing decisions about packages and options .
I hear you, but it does seem odd when you look at the pricing difference. Hopefully as more information comes out it may explain the changes better.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
Briant73
Rep

I have contacted the BMW dealership about an extended test drive but awaiting word from them. I also am looking at the Jeep 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2013 Acura RDX and 2013 Audi Q5. Infiniti and Lexus are off my list due to lack of dealerships less than an hour drive away.

I have yet to test drive the Q5 or RDX but some thoughts from looking them over both online and in person and also the 2013 GC:

Q5 - a Little too rounded for my tastes but Audi has put some thought into this design and it's probably right behind the X3 for my choices. With the 2.0t it may be less expensive than a comparable x3 28i but I would need to drive it to see how performance compares.

GC - This is a different vehicle than the others both in looks and driving. I like some of it but was surprised given it's exterior dimension how that interior seemed smaller especially in height and I'm by no means a tall person. When driving this vehicle I felt it was controlled and quiet but the road feel/steering was vague compared to the X3 and even my current Highlander.

RDX - This vehicle comes with a lot of features for a desirable price but somethings that disapoint - no pano roof option, the AWD system is not as robust as the others, no rear vents, small glove box, passenger seat has no height adjustment, rear tailgate is flush with bumper. What I do like is that this vehicle can come pretty much fully loaded for under 41k msrp.

My plan is still to take the X3 for an extended test drive to figure out why I have discomfort from the seat driving position and if that's no longer an issue to see what kind of deal can be worked out.

Plan is to hopefully take an extended test
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

When I started looking, I thought it was a forgone conclusion I'd get the X3. But after researching it against the others and driving both X3 and a Q5, I prefer the Q5. So go ahead and drive them.

From a driving dynamics view, the Q5 brakes faster but you can get DHP on the X3 without having to buy the top model like you do on the Q5. Also, the roof rack on the Q5 is intelligent in that it detects a load and modifies the car's suspension/handling dynamics according to the shift in COG. If you want, you can get V6 performance with a 4 cylinder with the Q5 Hybrid power train but it's only available in Audi's top trim line. It adds about $4000 over the equivalent trimmed V6.

I preferred the ride (noise, adjustable backseat, seat comfort and handling) of the Q5. Steering to me was equivalent.

If Navi is important, the Q5 is quite better with voice enabled google search and google 3D maps. Unlike the current X3, the Navi displays the street names. I'd wait for the 2014 X3 Navi if it's important to you. I don't like having to pay for the M-sport on the X3 to get a masculine front end yet still have to suffer the AMC Gremlin-esq rear quarter window and mis-aligned tail lights. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is no perfect vehicle... yet. I'm looking forward to seeing and test driving the 3 series Gran Tourismo tho, that may score pretty well. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
bogx3
Rep
Drives: honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73
I have contacted the BMW dealership about an extended test drive but awaiting word from them. I also am looking at the Jeep 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2013 Acura RDX and 2013 Audi Q5. Infiniti and Lexus are off my list due to lack of dealerships less than an hour drive away.

I have yet to test drive the Q5 or RDX but some thoughts from looking them over both online and in person and also the 2013 GC:

Q5 - a Little too rounded for my tastes but Audi has put some thought into this design and it's probably right behind the X3 for my choices. With the 2.0t it may be less expensive than a comparable x3 28i but I would need to drive it to see how performance compares.

GC - This is a different vehicle than the others both in looks and driving. I like some of it but was surprised given it's exterior dimension how that interior seemed smaller especially in height and I'm by no means a tall person. When driving this vehicle I felt it was controlled and quiet but the road feel/steering was vague compared to the X3 and even my current Highlander.

RDX - This vehicle comes with a lot of features for a desirable price but somethings that disapoint - no pano roof option, the AWD system is not as robust as the others, no rear vents, small glove box, passenger seat has no height adjustment, rear tailgate is flush with bumper. What I do like is that this vehicle can come pretty much fully loaded for under 41k msrp.

My plan is still to take the X3 for an extended test drive to figure out why I have discomfort from the seat driving position and if that's no longer an issue to see what kind of deal can be worked out.

Plan is to hopefully take an extended test
I agree, the lack of passenger seat height adjustment on the Acura RDX is a deal breaker, especially considering how low and uncomfortable the RDX seats are.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
Briant73
Rep

Just an update - Car dealers in this area must be doing well or maybe they don't want my money because I have yet to hear back from the BMW dealership for almost a week (two emails and one voicemail left the other day), the Acura dealership sent automated responses to my inquiries but nothing since. The Audi dealership never responded. Now I know I could just stop by but I figured this is the 21st century and sending a build configuration of what I'm looking for would prompt either an email or phone call introducing themselves.

So my latest question if I bought from a BMW dealership not local to me could I still use the local dealership service center for BMW recommended service and warranty work? If I needed a loaner would that be provided by BMW care or is that a dealership perk when buying through them. I would rather stay local but if I can get a better response and deal from a place an hour away I am not against making the drive to buy from.

Last edited by Briant73; 02-28-2013 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Additional info.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just an update - Car dealers in this area must be doing well or maybe they don't want my money because I have yet to hear back from the BMW dealership for almost a week (two emails and one voicemail left the other day), the Acura dealership sent automated responses to my inquiries but nothing since. The Audi dealership never responded. Now I know I could just stop by but I figured this is the 21st century and sending a build configuration of what I'm looking for would prompt either an email or phone call introducing themselves.

So my latest question if I bought from a BMW dealership not local to me could I still use the local dealership service center for BMW recommended service and warranty work? If I needed a loaner would that be provided by BMW care or is that a dealership perk when buying through them. I would rather stay local but if I can get a better response and deal from a place an hour away I am not against making the drive to buy from.
Yes, but no loaner from dealer you don't buy car from. You should give your local dealer an opportunity to match whatever price you got. That's what I did and they were initially the highest of 5. Win, win. They get your business on the buy, the service and you have a local dealer for everything. You'd find they'd be more loyal to you. My dealer is my car wash too. I'm there at least twice/month- another perk.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
Briant73
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Yes, but no loaner from dealer you don't buy car from. You should give your local dealer an opportunity to match whatever price you got. That's what I did and they were initially the highest of 5. Win, win. They get your business on the buy, the service and you have a local dealer for everything. You'd find they'd be more loyal to you. My dealer is my car wash too. I'm there at least twice/month- another perk.
Glad to hear BMW service centers are usable by any warrantied BMW owner for both warranty work and routine service. I would prefer a local dealer, hopefully my emails and call going unasnwered has a reasonable explanation and I will hear from them soon.

I remember when buying my last car the dealer in town trying to dissuade me from going out of town saying something like he wouldn't give up local for less than a five hundred dollar savings, too bad the dealer 40 minutes away that I had bought my previous car from saved me over a grand compared to that guy's deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
Briant73
Rep

Was doing some research on the Grand Cherokee with 8 speed and discovered it's also made by ZF who I believe supplies the 8 speed for the X3, is this correct?
Appreciate 0