BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
lair12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2016 X1, 2020 X3

Help identify audio wiring harness - base USA X3 pins.

Attached is the wiring harness pairs and colors for my 2012 12 speaker hi-fi system. Can I get help identifying which wires are for what, please?

I assume that pairs 10 and 11 which are thicker are subwoofer output...is this right? I assume that 23, 24 and 25 are 12v power, ground and something else.

That leaves pairs 1 through 9 as wires for the left front input, right front input, left rear input, right rear input, front door left speakers, front door right speakers, rear door left speakers, rear door right speakers, and center channel speakers.

Can I get some brainpower for confirmation of just what is what before I tackle my possible upgrade?
Attached Images

Last edited by lair12; 02-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: new information
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Probably not a good assumption. Why would you think the thicker wire is for woofer(you don't have a subwoofer)? More than likely the thicker wires are for 12v and ground. In this post I wrote that I think the woofer wires were blue.http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ghlight=woofer
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
lair12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Probably not a good assumption. Why would you think the thicker wire is for woofer(you don't have a subwoofer)? More than likely the thicker wires are for 12v and ground. In this post I wrote that I think the woofer wires were blue.http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ghlight=woofer
The thick brown/white and red/yellow are for power and ground. I do have two mid-bass/subs under each seat and have been told that the stock amp is 5 channel at 20W and 2 channel at 40 watts for the subs.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Take a look at this thread. It shows a picture of woofer connector. It looks as if the woofer wire maybe thicker. Looks like black or brown with red. Don't know if right or left. Like I said I think the right side was blue. But again it was a after thought to note the color.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
lair12
Private First Class
Rep

I have replaced the two subwoofers under the seat and can confirm that pair #10 goes to the passenger sub, pair #11 goes to the driver sub, pair #1 goes to the passenger front, and pair #9 goes to the passenger rear.

Still need input on what the other pairs feed or are sourced from.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair12 View Post
I have replaced the two subwoofers under the seat and can confirm that pair #10 goes to the passenger sub, pair #11 goes to the driver sub, pair #1 goes to the passenger front, and pair #9 goes to the passenger rear.

Still need input on what the other pairs feed or are sourced from.
Hi Lair 12 / guys, I’m on my way to install aftermarket woofer / amp. I have same question about wiring.
I’ve done some research and configuration for PREMIUM sound is

Blue with red stripe (LEFT +)
Blue with brown stripe (LEFT -)
Black with red stripe (RIGHT +)
Black with brown stripe (RIGHT -)

¿Which is the one for HI FI sound?
Green/blue RIGHT
Blue/yellow RIGHT
Brown/white LEFT
Black/green LEFT

So my final question is which is + and - ?
Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

B U M P thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looks like you are going to have figure this one out. If it were me doing it, this is what I would do.

Expose both woofers under the seats and pull the connectors for each one. Take note of the relative position of each wire in the connector. I assume that BMW uses the same woofer in each position. Since the connectors can only go in one way, the wire position in the connector will be the same polarity for each woofer. You do not know what the polarity is, + or -. Polarity is important for "phasing". You want the subwoofer pushing out at the same time as the other speakers are pushing out. If your polarity is reverse, the subwoofer will be out of phase. If your amp is summing the signal then outputting to a single voice cone, hookup the same relative positioned wires to one polarity on your LOC, one per channel and the other wires to the other polarity. Play your music. Listen and then reverse the polarity input on the LOC or if your amp has a phase switch, switch it. Listen again. Which position of polarity is the loudest? That is probably your in-phase position.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Looks like you are going to have figure this one out. If it were me doing it, this is what I would do.

Expose both woofers under the seats and pull the connectors for each one. Take note of the relative position of each wire in the connector. I assume that BMW uses the same woofer in each position. Since the connectors can only go in one way, the wire position in the connector will be the same polarity for each woofer. You do not know what the polarity is, + or -. Polarity is important for "phasing". You want the subwoofer pushing out at the same time as the other speakers are pushing out. If your polarity is reverse, the subwoofer will be out of phase. If your amp is summing the signal then outputting to a single voice cone, hookup the same relative positioned wires to one polarity on your LOC, one per channel and the other wires to the other polarity. Play your music. Listen and then reverse the polarity input on the LOC or if your amp has a phase switch, switch it. Listen again. Which position of polarity is the loudest? That is probably your in-phase position.
Totally agree thats the way to follow tks a lot! I'll let you know the results
have a nice day
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #10
Jedclampet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Black

Wiring

I have my wiring notes from my build I'll post later. I have a 2011 X3 Hifi. I replaced the front tweetrs and mids with dynaudio and the underseat with Jehnerts and added a sub amp and JL Sub box that I leave in the back. I used a Arc audio 6/150 amp and a Audiotec processor. Its amazing. Anyway I have used Musicar NW for most of the gear and they provided a plug and play harness for under $100 and no wires have to be cut. They know BMW's and can make a harness in any configuration for those that prefer not to cut wires. Keep in mind with the stock amp behind the left side of the trunk area cover that there is both pairs of wires, one from the head unit to the amp ( signal) and one set from the amp to the speakers. In my case I bypassed everything but the three pairs up front and the sub I added. I never touched the dashboard or headunit only grabbed the wires from back by the amp pretty easy. Imo the processor and good speakers are key in any up grade amps can be had pretty cheap. http://musicarnw.com/ Fwiw I drive 98% of the time alone so I designed the system for that purpose.
      08-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Jedclampet
Private First Class
Rep

Wiring

My notes I'm afraid are only for the front right and left signal and speakers, since I ran my sub out from the processor.

Black/ Brown, Black/Red = left front from head unit to amp
Blue/Brown, Blue/Red= right front from head unit to amp

White/Red, Black/Purple= Left front from amp to speaker to midrange with a piggy back to the tweeter.
Black/yellow, Black/Blue = Right front from amp to speaker to midrange with a piggy back to the tweeter.
      08-14-2015, 08:18 AM   #12
Jedclampet
Private First Class
Rep

See these links from the 3 series forum

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949