BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #45
Docray1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4

Rear End Noise

Our 2011 X3 2.8 has had numerous rattles, squeaks and creaks, along with multiple other problems including malfunctioning and noisy power windows and throttle lag.

The latest noise was a loud "creaking" that was heard when going up an incline (like a driveway) where the body would flex a bit. It sounded like it was coming from the left (drivers side) rear end. I tried adjusting the hatch stops, and looked elsewhere for the source, but had no luck. We took it to our dealer (again) and they claim it came from a loose "sunroof cassette brace". We are picking up the car later today; hopefully that latest issue has now been solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #46
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I've just accepted the clunks from the wheels when going over bumps and uneven road now, doesn't sound right at all but fed up with them. The boot clunk was the worse, but that got sorted by the lugs
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #47
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Yes, please see the red arrows in picture below that shows the black plastic stoppers that needed to be adjusted. Just give them a half turn (counter clockwise) and check to see if tailgate is more secure. Only a half turn has solved our tailgate rattle issues!

*Note: the picture is not of my X3, but the same parts are on the X3.

I hope this helps for your tailgate rattle issue as it helped me!

Thank you biglare..... That fixed most of the noise.....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #48
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
Thank you biglare..... That fixed most of the noise.....

Glad to have helped. I noticed that over some larger bumps I still heard the noise, so I gave the stops another 1/2 turn and then the all was fixed.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #49
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Glad to have helped. I noticed that over some larger bumps I still heard the noise, so I gave the stops another 1/2 turn and then the all was fixed.

Yes.... mine still have some noise over bumps too..... Need to work with it when I have time.....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #50
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMy335i View Post
I managed to fix the rear rattle over bumps. It drove me insane to the point that I asked a friend to sit in the trunk and identify the source...it was the tailgate! The noise was tin / metal like knocking every time I drove over a hard enough bump. Especially loud when there was a bit of body flex. I tried everything prior to the fix below including stripping and removing tools, covers etc. The fix is as follows:

If you open the tailgate you will notice that there are 2 black rubber stoppers on the body just above the tail lights. These stoppers are adjustable. I've noticed that if the differential adjustment is such that one side of the tailgate is slightly higher than the other, that the weight of the tailgate causes the clunk when the body moves in just the right way. I experiement by adjusting the stoppers a few times and voila - after 3 or 4 times, noise was gone.

The only noise - now have is a light bizz/ rattle when I take off and sometimes at speed. Seems to be centre speaker or somewhere around that area.
BINGO! thanks for the post, mine was getting worse and worse. I dropped it off at the service center last week and they kept telling me it wasn't making a noise, maybe I was more "in tune" with the car than they were. LOL!

now if only they could come up with a software update that fixes the throttle lag...
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #51
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
after nearly 12k miles. I don't have any weird rattles. There is sometime a creak in the front console when I se the aircon to cool down the car, but it's clearly thermal induced and only happends once in a while.

Only rattle I have is when my wife dumps half her handbag in the capacious door pocket on her side! :-)
      10-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #52
X3Bernie
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 & 2014 X3

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thanks for the info, I'll have to tell the dealership about this one.

Have had the car for about 2 months. The rear lights had to be replaced before I even drove it and it seems those cushion's are in the same location as the light casings.
The non-stop almost random knocking from the tailgate is slowly driving me nuts. The dealership found the noise did something and it went away ..... for like a day.
Have another appointment for them to look at it again and this time take the car away for the day to drive it and figure it out. I will ask them to check those tailgate cushions even though I'm pretty sure they'll blow me off.
UGH! Have driven the car for a little over two months and been in the shop 4 times already.

Slightly depressed about it, was loving the car before all of this, sure hope your solution works
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #53
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
BINGO! thanks for the post, mine was getting worse and worse. I dropped it off at the service center last week and they kept telling me it wasn't making a noise, maybe I was more "in tune" with the car than they were. LOL!

now if only they could come up with a software update that fixes the throttle lag...
btw the rattle is back.. and if I try to adjust more, the back hatch won't close..

super annoying
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #54
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Yes, please see the red arrows in picture below that shows the black plastic stoppers that needed to be adjusted. Just give them a half turn (counter clockwise) and check to see if tailgate is more secure. Only a half turn has solved our tailgate rattle issues!

*Note: the picture is not of my X3, but the same parts are on the X3.

I hope this helps for your tailgate rattle issue as it helped me!

The dealer adjusted these two knobs. It helped but not 100%. Use pliers to turn about max 1/4 turn max , trial & error. Clockwise to tighten. Counter clockwise to make rubber stopper to come out/raise. The adjustments will move the lid further or closer to trunk body. Ideally the lid should be flush with body, reference point was the bottom of lid on RHS & LHS.

He stressed salt makes it worse, always wipe the rubber seals with soap & water, can use a little silicon, not too much. Do not use alcohol. For winter some forum members use Gummi-Pflege. Established German company, I have used their products for aluminum and exhaust tips. I will order Gummi-Pflege.

http://www.autosol.com/ProductDetail...oductCode=6501
Attached Images

Last edited by barcelona; 12-30-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #55
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

My X3 has just done about 800KMs so far and is less than 2 weeks old. when I go through bad roads or a horrible slanted speed breaker (bumps) such that each wheel goes through the bump independently, it causes some wierd sound in the doors as if the wires inside the door are touching the metal inside the door itself. It is not bad but it is there and that drives me crazy. Almost sounds like wires left loose.
Anybody had this too?

I had an Audi Q3 before and have to admit not even a single rattle even when driven and subjected to horrible bad roads.

Also the plastic black skirting under the opened door seems to be loose with a lot of play in it for all 4 doors. So when the door is closed it doesn't give a nice sound but a rattling close due to the loose plastic.
Expected better than this in build quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #56
AlphaMendoza
Admiral
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI 20D

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Bernie View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll have to tell the dealership about this one.

Have had the car for about 2 months. The rear lights had to be replaced before I even drove it and it seems those cushion's are in the same location as the light casings.
The non-stop almost random knocking from the tailgate is slowly driving me nuts. The dealership found the noise did something and it went away ..... for like a day.
Have another appointment for them to look at it again and this time take the car away for the day to drive it and figure it out. I will ask them to check those tailgate cushions even though I'm pretty sure they'll blow me off.
UGH! Have driven the car for a little over two months and been in the shop 4 times already.

Ho
Slightly depressed about it, was loving the car before all of this, sure hope your solution works
How come you have a 28i in the UK ? Thought they did not launch in uk
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #57
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
My X3 has just done about 800KMs so far and is less than 2 weeks old. when I go through bad roads or a horrible slanted speed breaker (bumps) such that each wheel goes through the bump independently, it causes some wierd sound in the doors as if the wires inside the door are touching the metal inside the door itself. It is not bad but it is there and that drives me crazy. Almost sounds like wires left loose.
Anybody had this too?

I had an Audi Q3 before and have to admit not even a single rattle even when driven and subjected to horrible bad roads.

Also the plastic black skirting under the opened door seems to be loose with a lot of play in it for all 4 doors. So when the door is closed it doesn't give a nice sound but a rattling close due to the loose plastic.
Expected better than this in build quality.
Well it will be the door seals making noise. Happens in our climate for some reason. Buy this thing called Gummi Pfedge and apply it liberally over the door seals and on the door frame. It will take care of the sounds for a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #58
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Those with the LCI the rattles and especially the clunks still present?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 02:15 AM   #59
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive 28i

I have a few rattles in the LCI for sure, one from the drivers side door is consistent and drives me nuts but I cant figure out where its coming from for the life of me.
Havent had much luck with dealerships fixing these sort of things but I plan to push them hard the next time I bring the car in.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:42 AM   #60
Randeyman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i (F25)

Annoying noises!

My 2013 X3 has developed a few rattles, clumks, etc. I have almost 70K km on it.. One really annoying noise that I finally "found" as I thought it was coming from the rear... was actually from the wide bar that separated the two large glass sunroof panels. If you have a rattle that SOUNDS like its from the rear and you have the large sunroof, open the fabric cover and grab that big wide plastic strip (on the rear toward the bach seat) and pull it down and let it go. (it is hinged in the front and seems to be "spring loaded" and will not come off) Ths "cured" a lot of my noise. I have to do it now and then - but I need to find a permanent solution. (maybe a felt pad or silicone spray) - waiting for it to warm up a bit before I start working on it.
I will have to try some of the other solutions too. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #61
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

The only significant thing on mine is a sort of ticking noise in the dash behind the clocks. If I didn't know better, I would say it was a noisy speedo cable (if anyone remembers such things).
It isn't a major thing, but it drives me nuts! :-/
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #62
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

My center console creaks a bit, when the buttons are pushed or over large bumps.

Also something in the steering wheel is loose, felt like a cable is hanging around.

Anyone have similar problems / potential fixes?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #63
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
My center console creaks a bit, when the buttons are pushed or over large bumps.

Also something in the steering wheel is loose, felt like a cable is hanging around.

Anyone have similar problems / potential fixes?
Go to your dealership and get them to tighten up the center console screws.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #64
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
Go to your dealership and get them to tighten up the center console screws.
Uh, are those screws easy to get to (i thought BMW use clips not screws)? Do they need to take apart lots of stuff to do that?

I just hope dealer don't make it worse...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #65
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
Uh, are those screws easy to get to (i thought BMW use clips not screws)? Do they need to take apart lots of stuff to do that?

I just hope dealer don't make it worse...
They use both. For example when the door armrest and panels are actually screwed in from behind then clipped in. All depends on the piece. But yes you are correct but sometimes lifting up the piece and repositioning it may help.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #66
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
They use both. For example when the door armrest and panels are actually screwed in from behind then clipped in. All depends on the piece. But yes you are correct but sometimes lifting up the piece and repositioning it may help.
I see, thanks!
Appreciate 0