BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Alien z0mb13
mmm...coffee, i mean brains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

My First BMW Intro. (MFBMW)#001

Hello Everyone,
I want to start off with stating that I’ve never owned a German car before. I will be using this forum to find answers and ask for advice as things come up and hopefully my experience and information will help those thinking of buying a used BMW.

Car facts:
2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i
EXT: Alpine White
INT: Black leather
Convenience PKG
Premium PKG
Tech PKG
Heated steering wheel option
Heated front seats option
One owner
No accidents
Non smoker
Millage was: 33374
Bought the X3 from a non BMW Dealership but it wasn’t one of those used car lots.

What have I learned so far:
The BMW warranty/ Maintenance had run out (due to over 4yrs)
Bumper to bumper warranty (would only cover 6 years from when the car was originally bought so only about 1 yr and 9 months) it costs a lot about 4k so I said no
Maintenance warranty was about 3k (would only cover 6 years from when the car was originally bought so only about 1 yr and 9 months) so said no
My thinking is that in 1yr and 9 months I shouldn’t rack up over 7k in repairs and if it starts down that path we will have to get rid of it.
The car was clean inside and out no body damage and no accidents. Only 2 issue with X3 1) the glove box cover had been pulled up from the lower left corner not sure how this happen but the Dealer agreed to repair it as part of the we owe you agreement 2) the dealership had changed the oil and fixed the breaks but the lights hadn’t been reset and since they are not an BMW dealership they said they can’t reset those service lights. So part of that we owe you agreement they said they would get that all fixed and reset.

Why did I buy the X3?
I test drove and looked at all the other car of this class. I was looking for an all-wheel drive SUV for the wife something upscale. I narrowed it down to the X3, the Q5 and the RX and we went with the X3 due to price and the mileage and the car was a 1 owner car.

Final thoughts:
Thoughts so far only have had it for a week but so far so good. No issues. Took the X3 in to get the “We owe you” repairs done. I will try to update as things happen. Let me know if you guys have question or comments.

-Xombi Warlord

Last edited by Alien z0mb13; 10-19-2015 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Welcome Aboard!

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XombiWarlord View Post
Hello Everyone,
I want to start off with stating that I’ve never owned a German car before. I will be using this forum to find answers and ask for advice as things come up and hopefully my experience and information will help those thinking of buying a used BMW.

Car facts:
2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i
EXT: Alpine White
INT: Black leather
Convenience PKG
Premium PKG
Tech PKG
Heated steering wheel option
Heated front seats option
One owner
No accidents
Non smoker
Millage was: 33374
Bought the X3 from a non BMW Dealership but it wasn’t one of those used car lots.

What have I learned so far:
The BMW warranty/ Maintenance had run out (due to over 4yrs)
Bumper to bumper warranty (would only cover 6 years from when the car was originally bought so only about 1 yr and 9 months) it costs a lot about 4k so I said no
Maintenance warranty was about 3k (would only cover 6 years from when the car was originally bought so only about 1 yr and 9 months) so said no
My thinking is that in 1yr and 9 months I shouldn’t rack up over 7k in repairs and if it starts down that path we will have to get rid of it.
The car was clean inside and out no body damage and no accidents. Only 2 issue with X3 1) the glove box cover had been pulled up from the lower left corner not sure how this happen but the Dealer agreed to repair it as part of the we owe you agreement 2) the dealership had changed the oil and fixed the breaks but the lights hadn’t been reset and since they are not an BMW dealership they said they can’t reset those service lights. So part of that we owe you agreement they said they would get that all fixed and reset.

Why did I buy the X3?
I test drove and looked at all the other car of this class. I was looking for an all-wheel drive SUV for the wife something upscale. I narrowed it down to the X3, the Q5 and the RX and we went with the X3 due to price and the mileage and the car was a 1 owner car.

Final thoughts:
Thoughts so far only have had it for a week but so far so good. No issues. Took the X3 in to get the “We owe you” repairs done. I will try to update as things happen. Let me know if you guys have question or comments.

-Xombi Warlord
Hello,

I am in pretty much the same boat as you. I recently purchased my 2012 X3 VIA private sale. Still has about 5 months of factory warranty left, but getting close to 50k. I purchased the Platinum Warranty but not the Maintenance Warranty (I go to a private garage, the owner was a former dealership master technician and charges $30 per hour labor less than the dealership.) My X3 has the same specs as yours that's why I opted for the warranty, too many electronics could go wrong. But max dealership warranty is 3 years / 100k on top of the factory warranty. So it should be total of 7 years / 100k miles. I am hoping to keep the car for about 3-4 years until my schooling is finished, then perhaps upgrade to a newer BMW or higher class German automotive.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
Alien z0mb13
mmm...coffee, i mean brains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

BA BA BOOSH,
If you dont mind me asking. How much did u pay for your 7/100 warranty?

Last edited by Alien z0mb13; 10-20-2015 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XombiWarlord View Post
BA BA BOOSH,
If you dont mind me asking. How much did u pay for your 7/100 warranty?
Check your Private Messages.
Appreciate 0