BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #23
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I have tried more on my Merc ML than the X3, but I picked my X3 up and it had new tyres fitted, they were Pirelli Run Flats and I knew straight away they had fitted RFTs and turned round and drove back, they agreed they had made a mistake so fitted the P7 non run flats instead. They have been very good.

One of my favourites at the moment is the Goodyear EffcientGrip, I went from 17" Contis on the ML to Michelin Latitude Tours and they were so much nicer, quieter, softer and just made the car feel more luxurious, while still managing to feel more planted and corner better.
I then put on the EfficientGrips after two or three people I trust raving about them, this was also on 19" wheels. I was hoping they would be quiet and would reduce the obvious firmness I would get going from 17s to 19s. I was blown away by them, the quietest tyre I have ever known and the unexpected thing was they were more comfy than the 19s too.

The 19" M-Sport Alloys I just bought came with run flats, they have ruined the car to be honest, so I have just bought a set of P Zero Nero All Seasons and hope to get them fitted tomorrow. Not a massive fan of all season tyres, but thought on my X3 which is a family car it might be a good choice. I will see how I get on with them and let you know, if they are no good they will not be staying on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #24
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I have tried more on my Merc ML than the X3, but I picked my X3 up and it had new tyres fitted, they were Pirelli Run Flats and I knew straight away they had fitted RFTs and turned round and drove back, they agreed they had made a mistake so fitted the P7 non run flats instead. They have been very good.

One of my favourites at the moment is the Goodyear EffcientGrip, I went from 17" Contis on the ML to Michelin Latitude Tours and they were so much nicer, quieter, softer and just made the car feel more luxurious, while still managing to feel more planted and corner better.
I then put on the EfficientGrips after two or three people I trust raving about them, this was also on 19" wheels. I was hoping they would be quiet and would reduce the obvious firmness I would get going from 17s to 19s. I was blown away by them, the quietest tyre I have ever known and the unexpected thing was they were more comfy than the 19s too.

The 19" M-Sport Alloys I just bought came with run flats, they have ruined the car to be honest, so I have just bought a set of P Zero Nero All Seasons and hope to get them fitted tomorrow. Not a massive fan of all season tyres, but thought on my X3 which is a family car it might be a good choice. I will see how I get on with them and let you know, if they are no good they will not be staying on the car.
Thanks for that, I'm currently running Dunlop sp sport A01's on 19" rims, seems ok, not had the vehicle long enough to comment on wet/dry condition. Never been a fan of Dunlop in the past to be fair, wet performance was never that good.
Lets face it here in the UK I'd rather have a tyre geared for wet than dry lol.

Long time since I've run Pirelli tyres, be interested to know how you get on with them...cheers for the feedback mate.

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #25
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...ts-by-category

Just found this review above

Lol Dunlop won... Not the same as mine, but still.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #26
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I was always Michelin, but I am really impressed by some of the offerings from Dunlop and Goodyear recently, more so because my cars are more about being refined and luxurious rather than being a better performance tyre. On the M3 I loved the PS2 as it is very progressive, it may let go a little earlier than say a Goodyear Eagle F1, but you can feel everything it is doing and you have so much more control, I would rather be able to feel the back end go at a slightly lower speed with total control than keep the speed up but then it snap on me. So for that reason the PS2s and Pilot Cups were superb, but when it comes to cars like the X3 I want silent, refined and as comfy as possible, and that is what the Dunlops and the Goodyears seem to offer at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #27
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Just looked at that review, that Dunlop BluResponse is a tyre I would love to try and I may put on my A4 Avant next time, meant to be very similar to the Goodyear EfficientGrip but even quieter.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #28
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just looked at that review, that Dunlop BluResponse is a tyre I would love to try and I may put on my A4 Avant next time, meant to be very similar to the Goodyear EfficientGrip but even quieter.
Your right mate, the quite thing for me, as I get older, seems to fit the X3, that and grip in the wet I think... Will have a look at the dunlops as well I think.

I have enough performance toys to last me a lifetime and agree also on the PS2's progressive nature ...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #29
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The goodyears do get a great review though...will be a tough choice mate....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 04:52 AM   #30
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

The only issue you may find is the fact they don't do them in the size you need for an M Sport (275/40/19 101Y tyre).
I know when I've been looking recently I've found a tyre that's had good reviews only to be unavailable in the size I need!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 05:02 AM   #31
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
The only issue you may find is the fact they don't do them in the size you need for an M Sport (275/40/19 101Y tyre).
I know when I've been looking recently I've found a tyre that's had good reviews only to be unavailable in the size I need!
yeah, i found that....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #32
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah, that's what I found too, I guess on a 275 wide 19" tyre he 'eco' labelling doesn't really work.

Hence why I thought I might try them on the A4 when it comes time to change them.

My P Zero Nero All Seasons are being fitted this morning, will try and collect them later and report back.
May take them on a 300 mile trip tomorrow, but also bought this S-Line Avant last week and fancy taking that as it is a new toy.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 05:59 AM   #33
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
yeah, audi have there new line up right on the money at the moment, wait untill you see next years Audi line up.... BMW need to step up there game!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #34
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I just bought an older 2.0T S-Line Avant, B7.
I sold my old 2.8i Z3 about two or three months back and I have been craving a petrol car again, not sure what it is about petrols but I just find them addictive.

I have had as many Audis as BMWs over the last 20 odd years, and always sort of liked them but knew they were way behind the BMs for any involvement, but the new RS4 and RS3 are blinding packages, as I am sure the RS6 is, but also so is the B8 S4 and I would buy one (and my 2005 S4 avant was the worse car I have owned so that is saying something).
It is funny, more and more Audi diehards are coming to BMW, but the Audis are getting more focused and the BMWs softer, they should have come over years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #35
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just bought an older 2.0T S-Line Avant, B7.
I sold my old 2.8i Z3 about two or three months back and I have been craving a petrol car again, not sure what it is about petrols but I just find them addictive.

I have had as many Audis as BMWs over the last 20 odd years, and always sort of liked them but knew they were way behind the BMs for any involvement, but the new RS4 and RS3 are blinding packages, as I am sure the RS6 is, but also so is the B8 S4 and I would buy one (and my 2005 S4 avant was the worse car I have owned so that is saying something).
It is funny, more and more Audi diehards are coming to BMW, but the Audis are getting more focused and the BMWs softer, they should have come over years ago.
IKR, can't get away from the handling and feel of a BMW though. Think the run flats have done them no favour at all over the years, early m sport cars, as you know, were horrendous on the road, crashy, tram lining almost un drivable. Had a Z4 for the misses, it was awful to drive, swapped it for a TT Sline, what a difference, she loved the TT. She actually wants the new one, which is a fantastic car.

May return to Audi next year when they launch the new line up, but up to now, I can honestly say I love this X3 friends have just got the new ewok, and I can't argue, it does look the part, but I know which drives better!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #36
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
....Personally, I rate a space saver spare below that of run-flats. Just don't see the point of them. You have still got to stop and change the tyre and then you are subject to pretty much the same distance and speed restrictions you have with a punctured runflat tyre....For me, its either a full size spare or you may as well stay with the runflats.

Tony
The difference is the compact spare can be reused after driving on it. The run flat you have to throw away and buy a new one for about $500.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #37
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
The difference is the compact spare can be reused after driving on it. The run flat you have to throw away and buy a new one for about $500.
this is so true, had garages point blank refuse to repair them, even centre of the tread damage...eventually i found a guy that would reluctantly repair them quoting EU law said they shouldn't for liability reasons as well...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #38
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to throw some examples and figures out:

Prices taken from:
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/
Although Camskill can be pretty good as a more local supplier.

Pirelli Pzero Rosso Asimmetrico 245/45 R19 98Y - £132.53
Pirelli Pzero Rosso Asimmetrico 275/40 R19 101Y - £136.89

Dunlop SP Sport 01 245/45 ZR19 98Y - £100.78 (Not sure how good these tyres are)
Dunlop SP Sport 01 275/40 R19 101Y - £112.56

Or Runflat Tyres at an interesting price:

Michelin Primacy 3 275/40 R19 101Y - £132.79
Michelin Primacy 3 245/45 R19 98Y - £147.09
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #39
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Dunlop SP Sport 01 245/45 ZR19 98Y - £100.78 (Not sure how good these tyres are)

I would definitely have a go with those, they are from the new Dunlop range, ultra comfy and ultra quiet.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #40
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I picked up my X3 with the Pirelli P Zero All Seasons fitted.

Oh My God!!! The difference between those and the Pirelli Run Flats is astonishing.
I will be honest, I went from the 17" wheels to the 19s with the run flats and thought it ruined the car so much that I was just going to sell 19s as I thought the difference between run flats and non flats woudn't be enough.
I should have known better as I have had 7 cars with run flats and amazed every time I ditch them.
But the real surprise is they don't seem to have got any noisier or crash over bumps and raised ironworks any more than the 17s, if anything I would say these are actually slightly quieter than the P7 17s.

Seriously, anyone umming and arrrring over whether to ditch the run flats, just do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #41
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I picked up my X3 with the Pirelli P Zero All Seasons fitted.

Oh My God!!! The difference between those and the Pirelli Run Flats is astonishing.
I will be honest, I went from the 17" wheels to the 19s with the run flats and thought it ruined the car so much that I was just going to sell 19s as I thought the difference between run flats and non flats woudn't be enough.
I should have known better as I have had 7 cars with run flats and amazed every time I ditch them.
But the real surprise is they don't seem to have got any noisier or crash over bumps and raised ironworks any more than the 17s, if anything I would say these are actually slightly quieter than the P7 17s.

Seriously, anyone umming and arrrring over whether to ditch the run flats, just do it.
Ah, I meant to ask how you got on with changing your tyres. Glad to hear you're happy with them.
Every time I read these type of comments I'm edging towards non runflats, when the time comes. I'm preparing myself in case that time comes sooner!
At least I now have some options and costs, although not sure whether the wife will try and convince me to stick with runflats!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #42
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I would just need to find someone decent enough to fit them and within reasonable cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #43
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just to throw some examples and figures out:

Prices taken from:
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/

Dont do the dunlop route...

below is a picture of mine still with 7mm tread,already showing signs of splitting.. and these arnt the worst photos...

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #44
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would just need to find someone decent enough to fit them and within reasonable cost.
on the tyreleader website you can select 'fitter near me' and it gives you costs, you can also ship the tyres to the fitter if need be...

have read quite a bit on tyreleader, few of the usual stories like 'i ordered some tyres, then realised id ordered the wrong ones, then they wanted a restock fee and wouldn't refund me?'

but other than stupidity, they seem pretty reliable, just make sure you order the right ones. lol

these will be from Europe, and with the pound doing so well, we are getting great deals!
Appreciate 0