BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
x3valk
Rep
Drives: m3 sedan

No spare, no problem?

Ordered a 35i (in production) despite the fact that it has no spare tire...We like to take road trips, and I like the independence and reliability that a spare offers...Don't have to pray that the run flats hold up, that AAA or BMW assistance would be available in the middle of nowhere, etc. When ordering, the absence of a spare was almost a deal breaker...

Am I paranoid? Any experience, positive or negative, with the run flats?

BTW, just found out that run flats cost an arm and a leg to change...I came from a 2000 323i (with a spare that bailed me out more than once).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Very positive experience. Have had flats (construction debris) and was able to keep driving vice stop on a dangerous no-shoulder road. Kept driving to my preferred repair shop. Huge safety plus in my view. Great for my wife, too, who would have a tough time changing a flat. God knows who'd stop to help her . . . Much rather she be able to keep driving. A flat Runflat also handles much better than a doughnut spare.
      07-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

That is great. I had a 08 328i put non runflats on it. Rides better, got better gas mileage and the tires cost less. Spent $39 for a 12v air pump for my piece of mind. The bottom lines is what makes you feel safe. When my X3 tires wear out I will replace them with non runflats.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm skeptical of the frequent "rides better, better mileage" claims. When I swap out old Runflats for new, it rides better and gets better mileage. Comparing old Runfalts to new non-run flats might well not tell the whole story.

Even if true, I'd rather spend the money on the tires, the gas, and tolerate the oh so harsh ride than leave my wife on the side of a freeway with a $39 air pump and a flat tire on a $50k car. Those are just my priorities, though. As said above, whatever works for you.
      07-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Everyone knows the downsides of RFT's - more unsprung weight, poor ride, more noise, etc. But having the scenario you describe with your wife stranded by the side of the road is not something that makes me feel happy if she's on a long trip on her own. When I told that her X3 would have RFT's and explained the benefits she was happy with that choice. Having owned 911's where your only defense was a can of gunk to seal the puncture you quickly realize that RFT's are not such a bad option after all.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Make sure your spouse knows too, that if she gets a flat on a road trip where she isn't close to home, she will likely be staying wherever she is for two days in a hotel. Runflats are never in stock and they have to order them which typically takes 2 days to get them. In my opinion, that is the biggest downfall of the runflat! Being stuck somewhere for two days waiting for a tire to come in is a PITA!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I can see that as a problem (unless there's a BMW dealership in striking distance). On balance, I'd still choose that one, but a problem. Wonder if they're getting common enough that it'll subside soon? My challenges finding AS performance RFTs for the 309s suggests not.
      07-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Given all the tradeoffs of RFT, I'd rather have traditional tires and a spare myself.

Though I doubt few people venture off-road with an X3, there are situations I have encountered in other similar vehicles where a RFT wouldn't make sense if you got a flat. A donut wouldn't make sense either -- you'd really want a full size spare.

You aren't even allowed to drive on the beach here unless you have a full size spare in the vehicle. RFT and donut spares don't count.

Unless future RFTs get a lot better, I fully plan to ditch them on my Z4. Would likely do the same on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I can see that as a problem (unless there's a BMW dealership in striking distance). On balance, I'd still choose that one, but a problem. Wonder if they're getting common enough that it'll subside soon? My challenges finding AS performance RFTs for the 309s suggests not.
Even the dealers don't and won't have them in stock. This happened when I got a flat on my loaner 35i and my neighbor also had two separate occasions when they have had a flat and had to wait 2 days for a new tire to come in. The dealer said they don't stock the run flats typically.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, my dealership has had them (since most all BMW's have them now). I guess it's not consistent, then and I shouldn't count on it outside the area. Bummer.
      07-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I'm skeptical of the frequent "rides better, better mileage" claims. When I swap out old Runflats for new, it rides better and gets better mileage. Comparing old Runfalts to new non-run flats might well not tell the whole story.

Even if true, I'd rather spend the money on the tires, the gas, and tolerate the oh so harsh ride than leave my wife on the side of a freeway with a $39 air pump and a flat tire on a $50k car. Those are just my priorities, though. As said above, whatever works for you.
With either runflat or non runflat tires, I would still carry an aerosol air pump that includes the tire sealing gel to seal the leak and inflate the tire. Still around $39.

What is your wife going to do if the side wall of your runflats gets damaged? Can't drive it then. Still can't beat the old spare tire. But yes, you must then learn how to change a tire in order to use it.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 07-24-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Given all the tradeoffs of RFT, I'd rather have traditional tires and a spare myself.

Though I doubt few people venture off-road with an X3, there are situations I have encountered in other similar vehicles where a RFT wouldn't make sense if you got a flat. A donut wouldn't make sense either -- you'd really want a full size spare.

You aren't even allowed to drive on the beach here unless you have a full size spare in the vehicle. RFT and donut spares don't count.

Unless future RFTs get a lot better, I fully plan to ditch them on my Z4. Would likely do the same on the X3.
When and where are you driving on the beach?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, learning isn't the problem. Sidewall goes, then she (or I) am waiting for the BMW service tow truck. Gel and pump aren't gonna help. Not at all good. But the chances of any auto tire and particularly an RFT auto tire losing the sidewall are slim if properly maintained. Certainly far lower than the chance of a simple puncture. The risk of fixing a puncture on the side of the roads here is significant. Don't know if you've ever driven in the DC area, but the roads and traffic nothing like the parts of Canada I've experienced -- lack of shoulders, high speeds in confined areas, many poorly trained drivers, and some seriously sketchy neighborhoods in and amongst common workplaces. Might be that different environments have different best solutions.
      07-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I know, kinda has me intrigued. Can throw an extra full-size tire in the back with room for a cooler remaining, right??
      07-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know, kinda has me intrigued. Can throw an extra full-size tire in the back with room for a cooler remaining, right??
Count me in.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #16
frank2bell
Canada
Rep
Drives: waiting for my X3

I've had a RFT tear on the side wall when I hit a pothole. A few kilometers later, the tire came off from the rim as the support it required on the sidewall failed.

I then required a tow to the nearest city. Big disappointment for these tires, but since there is no room for a spare, I wouldn't take them off in the future.

2008 335i coupé - sold
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
North Carolina Outer Banks just north of Corolla. It's pretty cool, but definitely comes with some rules and responsibilities.

It just occurred to me the other issue with RFT on the beach would be airing them down. Typically, we drop tire pressure to about 15-20 psi for driving on sand, to increase the contact area. I suspect that wouldn't help much with the RFT.

In addition to the full size spare, I carry a couple shovels, tow straps, and some pieces of scrap plywood. I am pretty conservative and have never been stuck myself, but I have seen plenty of city slickers get in big trouble, sinking their car up to the axles in sand.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #18
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Unhappy 50,000 miles on runflats

My experience on RFT's in several years has been fairly typical of what you see on this thread.
  • Noisy, hard riding and poor tread wear- ditched my Tur*stones at less than 20K miles due to noise.
  • Puncture in tread of new X3, BMW dealer and Pirellli won't repair, new tire ordered next day install.
  • Good news both stones and pirelli's now have road hazzard warentee, you will save some on the replacement.
  • There is a donut wheel and tire listed in the owners manual, but no one seems to know anything including the rack staff.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
jaybert
Private
Rep
Drives:

anyone figure out anywhere clever to stick a spare other than to put it in the trunk with some tie downs to keep it from moving? I am looking at winter wheels/tires now, and the options are pretty limited/don't exist in terms of RFTs for winter tires in the size i want (225-60/17 or 235-55/17, the former a better match to stock, but potentially too narrow for 8" wheels).

Does tirerack get a better selection of winter tires as it gets closer to winter? The only RFT I found was for the 225-60/17 size, and it appears to be some 2006 production run...so almost 5 years old. not sure if that is something i should be concerned about even if it does fit the 17x8" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:

When I swapped out my RFT at 1000km with non-RFT on my 135i, I got better mileage, it accelerates more freely and it rides better. We have a 125i with RFT and it is clear that the 135i rode better. The 125i doing similar runs to the 135i uses more fuel. The sales manager on the dealership drove the car when I traded in and thought the car was chipped.

However, I would never swapped out my wife's RFT for safety reason. Hence, the RFT stayed on the 125i, and will stay on the X3.

To the OP - is having another set of tires for trips is an option? I am not sure if there's anything you can add to carry a spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybert View Post
anyone figure out anywhere clever to stick a spare other than to put it in the trunk with some tie downs to keep it from moving? I am looking at winter wheels/tires now, and the options are pretty limited/don't exist in terms of RFTs for winter tires in the size i want (225-60/17 or 235-55/17, the former a better match to stock, but potentially too narrow for 8" wheels).

Does tirerack get a better selection of winter tires as it gets closer to winter? The only RFT I found was for the 225-60/17 size, and it appears to be some 2006 production run...so almost 5 years old. not sure if that is something i should be concerned about even if it does fit the 17x8" wheels.
Buy some 17" Rial Como rims and tires from TireRack. I bought them for my 535 wagon (weighs within 200 lbs of a new X3 and has same power as a 35i) a few years back for the winters, and they were cheap and admittedly not bad looking.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

City folks - run flat tires for the wife.

Country folks (or city folks go to long trips in the country side) - must carry a spare.