BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
benedirk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D SE

Cracked windscreen - no replacements available

Hi,

The X3 picked up a small crack in the windscreen last week. Autoglass came round on Monday to replace it. They had confirmed beforehand that it didn't have the HUD or the grey sun-stripe, however they managed to arrive with a screen that wasn't for cars with auto lights and wipers (given they are standard in the UK, this seemed a bit odd). The guy who was due to change it was pretty miffed, he said there are something like 15 different screens available for some bmws.

We currently have no ETA for a new screen as there are none available in the UK, not even directly from BMW. Just glad it is only a small crack and still perfectly driveable!

Ben
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Well that's bloody great isn't it. Thankfully have only ever had one crack in 17 years of motoring but to not have ANY in the country is frankly, shit
      08-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedirk View Post
Hi,

The X3 picked up a small crack in the windscreen last week. Autoglass came round on Monday to replace it. They had confirmed beforehand that it didn't have the HUD or the grey sun-stripe, however they managed to arrive with a screen that wasn't for cars with auto lights and wipers (given they are standard in the UK, this seemed a bit odd). The guy who was due to change it was pretty miffed, he said there are something like 15 different screens available for some bmws.

We currently have no ETA for a new screen as there are none available in the UK, not even directly from BMW. Just glad it is only a small crack and still perfectly driveable!

Ben
Having a suitable supply of parts is basic logistic management! What a shambles. They could raise an emergency part request.

Have you made your dealer and BMW UK aware?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

That is so poor. Concerned myself now as I have a UV protection windscreen with grey shade band which I assume will be less common than the standard. I had to have my windscreen replaced twice on my last car in 3 years.

The guys in the US have seem to have no parts available and have to wait for everything to be shipped from Germany despite the fact the X3 is made there. Seems like BMW just couldn't give a toss really and the cheapest option is just to make you wait. Poor show.

There is a chance that this is just a communication issue though. Worth contacting BMW directly as Autoglass might be wrong

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
That is so poor.....

..... Seems like BMW just couldn't give a toss really and the cheapest option is just to make you wait. Poor show.

There is a chance that this is just a communication issue though. Worth contacting BMW directly as Autoglass might be wrong
This is not just a BMW issue, seems it is the way with many manufacturers.

We have a VW which when it was time to renew tyres, there were none in the UK, not even with VW. No one had started to import the particular tyre size/specification which was now on vehicles for at least six months.

We had to fit a pair of different brand tyres while we waited, which didn't work on the vehicle, they had to come off (to get the handling back) when the correct tyres were available in the UK.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
This is not just a BMW issue, seems it is the way with many manufacturers.

We have a VW which when it was time to renew tyres, there were none in the UK, not even with VW. No one had started to import the particular tyre size/specification which was now on vehicles for at least six months.

We had to fit a pair of different brand tyres while we waited, which didn't work on the vehicle, they had to come off (to get the handling back) when the correct tyres were available in the UK.

HighlandPete
Got a cracked windscreen after driving through Europe, reported it 10 days ago and are replacing it today cause I only came back yesterday. They sounded like they had it in stock since they wanted it in earlier. Was quick and hopefully they give me the correct windscreen. Have climate comfort windscreen with the grey banner on top. Time will show...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Close, but no cigar. Of course they gave me a windscreen without the climate comfort

Amateurs...

They will replace it later
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Close, but no cigar. Of course they gave me a windscreen without the climate comfort

Amateurs...

They will replace it later
Amateurs is way too polite I have a climate comfort windscreen too so I eagerly await the outcome. Good luck

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
benedirk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D SE

We are finally getting the new screen tomorrow.... hopefully the correct one ....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Amateurs is way too polite I have a climate comfort windscreen too so I eagerly await the outcome. Good luck
Finally correct. They found it in Germany and took 1 week to get to the shop. All good now...

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #11
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Finally correct. They found it in Germany and took 1 week to get to the shop. All good now...

Still close... but closer than ever.

They actually called me on september 1st to tell me they couldn't get hold of the correct windscreen. This was the day before the planned installation.

The order remained in their system, and finally... Today my car is in the shop to get the correct windscreen in place... Fingers crossed for the actual correct windscreen and no more cockups.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Still close... but closer than ever.

They actually called me on september 1st to tell me they couldn't get hold of the correct windscreen. This was the day before the planned installation.

The order remained in their system, and finally... Today my car is in the shop to get the correct windscreen in place... Fingers crossed for the actual correct windscreen and no more cockups.
It's finally replaced. I have the comfort windscreen in place now...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
dchao
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Took *two* month?? Don't they have UPS in Europe?

BMW parts logistic department should be fired!

Creating millions types windshield for just one model is really good for the initial profit, but very confusion for after sales service.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao
Quote:
Took *two* month?? Don't they have UPS in Europe?

BMW parts logistic department should be fired!

Creating millions types windshield for just one model is really good for the initial profit, but very confusion for after sales service.
True. It's incredible...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

I cracked the screen in my new X3 and had it changed by the supplying dealer, paid for by BMW insurance. The total cost was over £1000 fitted and I had to wait for nearly three weeks since my particular screen was out of stock in Europe. I had to have one of the A pillar painted trim strips replaced since it would not fit properly once the screen had been fitted (I heard that one of the retaining clips broke when they removed the original trim) This resulted two further visits to the dealer since they forgot that the trim strip needed painting the first time!

I've attached a copy of the quote, interesting to see the list of parts required.
Attached Images