BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #67
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Pedals as requested, not the best photo I've ever taken!

I'm actually not finding the pedals and the seat position a problem any more. I've moved the seat and now keep my left foot on the floor, not on the rest (incidentally, this rest is not much good if you have size 10+ feet) .

Did nearly 500 miles over the last few days and all good. Went here for example

MPG!! I seemed to do badly on the way there but much better on the way back. Maybe it was trying harder on the way back. Obviously how you drive and the amount of traffic dictating motorway speed has a big impact.

Anyway, wasn't overly impressed with this

but did have a full load and wasn't trying too hard

On the way back, I tried harder, managed 43 mpg on some A roads and then 41 mpg for entire journey (about 240 miles) but I was being careful on the motorway.

I doubt I will ever see 45 mpg let alone 50 mpg but I'm a bit happier overall.

Hmmm, what else....

Sunroof from inside in case anyone's interested

Pro nav in action

And what you see on the dash at the same time

The screens and dials look much better and sharper than they appear here - iPhone not doing them justice.

And despite clocking about 500 miles and a lot of the time of the road across England and Wales, the (other) F25 X3 count remains at ZERO

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #68
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Looks like you had fun!

How are you finding the auto box?

Is the blind & tint combo doing the trick for your little one?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #69
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Looks like you had fun!

How are you finding the auto box?

Is the blind & tint combo doing the trick for your little one?
Auto all good so far. Saw Scott's post and will reply with some more info when I have some more time.

Blinds and tints are brilliant. Glad you made me add the blinds - use them a lot.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #70
CarolinaBlue
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I doubt I will ever see 45 mpg let alone 50 mpg but I'm a bit happier overall.
Give it time. If it's anything like my last 335d, you'll see a significant improvement after 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #71
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Happy now i went for pro nav and the sunroof after seeing your pic's.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #72
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
Give it time. If it's anything like my last 335d, you'll see a significant improvement after 10k miles.
Thanks. Someone else said this as well. I still think it's great fuel economy for the size and weight of the car but if it gets better after 10k, I'll be very pleased.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:44 AM   #73
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWilson View Post
Happy now i went for pro nav and the sunroof after seeing your pic's.
There were both nearly excluded from my order but my wife persuaded me to get the sunroof and I changed my mind on nav at the last minute. Very pleased with both but I can understand why people don't get them as the cost is a bitter to swallow.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #74
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
My mpg on my 520d went down after 10k miles as I drove it harder

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #75
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

is it me or does the footwell look very narrow compared to eg a E60 5 series? Is this what they have been saying offset pedals?

Quote:
Pedals as requested, not the best photo I've ever taken!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #76
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, it is too narrow IMO. And if you draw a line down the centre of the seat and look at where the pedals are, they are offset, bearing in mind that you only use your right foot in an automatic.

In an ideal world, I would like it wider and with a longer foot rest, or no rest at all. The rest isn't much use if you have feet bigger than a size 8.

That said, I've got used to it and on longer drives I put my left foot on the ground rather than the rest which is more comfortable for me. It's only a minor annoyance and I think a lot of it stems from the conversion to right hand drive, but I don't know that for certain

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #77
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

I was thinking the pedal box looks narrow too but maybe it's the camera. I will measure the width of mine and post.

sfax, have you considered AC Schnitzer's alluminium foot rest? It will make the rest wider.

Also, in the dark, how do you find the visibility through the rear windows when performing a shoulder check for example with the sun protection glass?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #78
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Oh and the guidance direction on the dash display is a great touch. I don't have that on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #79
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I was thinking the pedal box looks narrow too but maybe it's the camera. I will measure the width of mine and post.

sfax, have you considered AC Schnitzer's alluminium foot rest? It will make the rest wider.

Also, in the dark, how do you find the visibility through the rear windows when performing a shoulder check for example with the sun protection glass?
It's the length I have an issue with. I'm not sure increasing the width will help but I may take a look.

Not noticed a problem with visibility at night with the SP glass but I haven't done that much reversing in the dark and I use the parking radar quite a lot.

I think if I was spec'ing a new X3 now I would get the reversing camera because I think the extra piece of mind would be good, given the small back window. I love the radar image on the iDrive and although I have no reason not to, I still don't trust it fully Maybe that will change with time

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #80
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

This is only repeating what other people have posted but if you connect your iPhone via a standard USB cable you definitely see album artwork.

You can also connect it as at a bluetooth audio source and stream any audio from your iPhone. Using iPod on my iPhone 3G doesn't give you any track information but does let you move backwards and forwards through the tracks using the iDrive menu

To get the bluetooth audio to work I had to go to the iDrive menu for bluetooth audio and then switch bluetooth off on my iphone and then back on. It then appears as an external device - thanks to jijioben for sorting this out for me.

If you then use your iPhone via USB you get asked if you want to disconnect it as an audio bluetooth device and if you say yes, you have to repeat the process above to re-enable it.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #81
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Nearly 2000 miles now and I just washed my X3 and took it for a drive with no reason other than I wanted to enjoy driving it, and I have to say looking at it sparkling clean and then driving it quite hard along country roads (getting bored of watching the mpg and driving like my Dad always!) made me come to the conclusion that I STILL LOVE IT!!

For those still with long waits, it's really worth the wait

Sorry for all the smilies. I got carried away...

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #82
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nearly 2000 miles now and I just washed my X3 and took it for a drive with no reason other than I wanted to enjoy driving it, and I have to say looking at it sparkling clean and then driving it quite hard along country roads (getting bored of watching the mpg and driving like my Dad always!) made me come to the conclusion that I STILL LOVE IT!!

For those still with long waits, it's really worth the wait

Sorry for all the smilies. I got carried away...
Few miles behind you but went for a similar drive myself and confirm the X3 is well worth the wait

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #83
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Only 3 more weeks for me to go then I will be taking every opportunity to "just nip around the block to try something out" before giving her a wash and wax. Have bought some highly recommended sealant to compliment the BMW seal and protect.

Am now on a complete roll have seen my third X3 in 6 days. A vermillion red. Looks far nicer in real life than any pictures.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #84
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
Only 3 more weeks for me to go then I will be taking every opportunity to "just nip around the block to try something out" before giving her a wash and wax. Have bought some highly recommended sealant to compliment the BMW seal and protect.

Am now on a complete roll have seen my third X3 in 6 days. A vermillion red. Looks far nicer in real life than any pictures.
3rd in 6 days?!!? I still haven't seen any. Not one. Another 100 mile trip today and not a sausage. I'm either blind or unlucky

Which sealant did you go for? I have seal/protect and I need to buy some cleaning products. Will get something for the alloys too.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #85
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Some info on the iPhone 4 snap-in adaptor too:

I have the basic snap-in adaptor for iPhone 4. All works well for taking calls etc but all it gives you (as expected) is the signal boost through the car's aerial and charge via USB. It isn't visible via USB to iDrive, only via bluetooth. This means the functionality that you get when you plug it in using the white USB cable is much greater, e.g. listening to music and seeing album artwork and track names on iDrive. You can still stream audio when snapped in but the only iDrive control is forward and back buttons.

I think to get the same level of functionality through the snap-in adaptor as you do using a normal white USB cable, you need a media snap-in adaptor and 6NF *

* I'm not 100% sure on the 6NF requirement (Telephone USB audio interface) but I assume that's what it gives you. It doesn't come as standard with any bluetooth option as it states in the brochure / on the website

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #86
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post

3rd in 6 days?!!? I still haven't seen any. Not one. Another 100 mile trip today and not a sausage. I'm either blind or unlucky

Which sealant did you go for? I have seal/protect and I need to buy some cleaning products. Will get something for the alloys too.

Yeah I had forgotten how meaty the car looks from the front. Had chance to have a good look at the one today as it was parked up.

Gone for Finish Kare 1000p sealant. Good for alloys too. Used it on
My wife's Golf already and it is really good stuff. I got it from cleanyourcar.co.uk (good service) and it is a lot better than you can buy in the shops.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #87
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the cleaning tips. Will check this website out

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #88
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Captured the DRLs reflecting off the back of the car in front (was bored in a traffic jam!)

I still love seeing them like this

Was using Sport mode a lot today for overtaking and general driving on country roads. Still having great fun driving it. The novelty hasn't worn off.

Appreciate 0