BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
AdrianG01
Rep
Drives: X3 G01

Safest solution for Apple Carplay activation?

Hello friends,

I am also in the same situation as many others, in which my X3 doesn't have the wireless antenna installed (option code 6CP) and thus can't activate carplay via connecteddrive services.

I am starting this thread in the hopes of getting up-to-date and confirmed solutions for activating Apple Carplay that could also help others in this situation.

So far, based on my research it seems there are two types of activations, one via USB with a memory stick and the other more complex with an ENET cable and a laptop with an internet connection. They mostly depend on the software version of your navigation, but I am not sure exactly what the differences are.

Are there also other methods?

Secondly, it is quite unclear to me how safe these methods are.
As with any coding there are risks associated and many things can go wrong (I have seen at least one case in the forums with a blue screen of death in the navi display).

However, what I can't find and nobody can tell me for sure is what exactly happens when you take your car to the service for example for regular maintenance and they decide to upgrade the firmware (software). So far, I have read that with the update most likely carplay will be removed and additionally, one of these things might happen:
1. Can re-install carplay with the same method.
2. Can reinstall with an alternative method.
3. Cannot reinstall and you can say goodbye to carplay (permanent BMW fix)
4. Your navigation is bricked and you need a new head unit. Some people managed to get it fixed in warranty.

Can anyone of the more knowledgeable guys shed some light into this?

TL;DR: I want to install apple carplay on my BMW. What is the best and safest way to do this?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianG01 View Post
Hello friends,

I am also in the same situation as many others, in which my X3 doesn't have the wireless antenna installed (option code 6CP) and thus can't activate carplay via connecteddrive services.

I am starting this thread in the hopes of getting up-to-date and confirmed solutions for activating Apple Carplay that could also help others in this situation.

So far, based on my research it seems there are two types of activations, one via USB with a memory stick and the other more complex with an ENET cable and a laptop with an internet connection. They mostly depend on the software version of your navigation, but I am not sure exactly what the differences are.

As with any coding there are risks associated and many things can go wrong (I have seen at least one case in the forums with a blue screen of death in the navi display).

However, what I can't find and nobody can tell me for sure is what exactly happens when you take your car to the service for example for regular maintenance and they decide to upgrade the firmware (software). So far, I have read that with the update most likely carplay will be removed and additionally, one of these things might happen:
4. Your navigation is bricked and you need a new head unit. Some people managed to get it fixed in warranty.

TL;DR: I want to install apple carplay on my BMW. What is the best and safest way to do this?

Thanks!
All your questions were already answered in various threads. However, if somebody writes a complex answer (as complex was your post), could be helpful for others. From my knowledge, the safest way would be installing wifi antenna and then get the ACP from Connected drive. Not sure, whether something else has to be done, but if not, this is for sure the safest way. Although might be the most expensive.
      09-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
RazorX3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI + BMW G01 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianG01 View Post
Hello friends,

Thanks!
I'm interested in knowing the answers to those questions too...
I can't find any thread discussing those issues whatsoever, all I can find is general ideas about coding carplay but nothing too deep or detailed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 03:36 AM   #4
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
All your questions were already answered in various threads. However, if somebody writes a complex answer (as complex was your post), could be helpful for others. From my knowledge, the safest way would be installing wifi antenna and then get the ACP from Connected drive. Not sure, whether something else has to be done, but if not, this is for sure the safest way. Although might be the most expensive.
That "would" be the safest way, but major stumbling block(er) is that assuming wifi antenna is installed (easy enough as per other threads), there is no way to then get BMW's database updated to reflect this fact, so connected drive will not offer the option of CarPlay install.
      09-18-2019, 03:53 AM   #5
Nicorad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Hi,

kubax86 activate Carplay for my X3 and it's working fine.
He reply very fast to all my questions, activation was done less than half an hour after paiement and way cheaper than other methods, for the same results...

The WIFI antenna is not needed as long as the phone stay on the cup holder.
If you want to leave it in your pocket, you probably must install the antenna...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicorad View Post
Hi,

kubax86 activate Carplay for my X3 and it's working fine.
He reply very fast to all my questions, activation was done less than half an hour after paiement and way cheaper than other methods, for the same results...

The WIFI antenna is not needed as long as the phone stay on the cup holder.
If you want to leave it in your pocket, you probably must install the antenna...

Thanks

Like you said WiFi Antenna is not required, and sometimes it works just fine even in the pocket.
Appreciate 0