BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Canadianowner
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2012

Angry Weathertech Floor Trays for X3

Not perfect for the new X3. I have Weathertech trays for my C350 MB sedan and they are perfect. However, the same tray type mats for my wife's 2012 X3 have a design flaw. The driver's side and the wide second row tray are great. However, the front passenger side tray slides forward constantly. Soon it deforms, sort of adapting to the slope of the firewall. Then any slush or water dumps back onto the floorspace which it has improperly vacated. The problem is Weathertech's design, which skips using the available floor anchor points provided by BMW for its own mats. They are utilized on the driver side and work perfectly. It certainly appears that Weathertech cut a cost corner on this one design detail, and the result is unsatisfactory. Given the high cost of this product, I would have expected better. I have written the company (no reply) and contacted their helpline to point out the problem, as well as requesting a retrofit solution. The operator was polite, but said in effect it would be too costly for the company to redesign the trays or develop any fix. So sad, since 3/4 of this fitment is great, but one quarter is a dud. Be aware before committing to buying a set of Weathertech floor trash for your X3.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Normax2011X328i
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Thanks for the info. I was actually just about to place an order for some of these. Does anyone know if there is a comparable product with better results for the X3?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
aw2002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianowner View Post
Not perfect for the new X3. I have Weathertech trays for my C350 MB sedan and they are perfect. However, the same tray type mats for my wife's 2012 X3 have a design flaw. The driver's side and the wide second row tray are great. However, the front passenger side tray slides forward constantly. Soon it deforms, sort of adapting to the slope of the firewall. Then any slush or water dumps back onto the floorspace which it has improperly vacated. The problem is Weathertech's design, which skips using the available floor anchor points provided by BMW for its own mats. They are utilized on the driver side and work perfectly. It certainly appears that Weathertech cut a cost corner on this one design detail, and the result is unsatisfactory. Given the high cost of this product, I would have expected better. I have written the company (no reply) and contacted their helpline to point out the problem, as well as requesting a retrofit solution. The operator was polite, but said in effect it would be too costly for the company to redesign the trays or develop any fix. So sad, since 3/4 of this fitment is great, but one quarter is a dud. Be aware before committing to buying a set of Weathertech floor trash for your X3.
Are you only referring to the 2012 X3 models?
Anyone here planning to get this for their 2015 X3?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Mats

We have a 2011 X3 with the weather tech mats. The PS mat fits quite tightly and does not move without considerable pressure. It is wedged between the bottom plastic edge of the tranny hump netting and the protective edge of the rocker panel guard. Not sure why your's is loose, but that isn't a issue with ours. If you want to hold it in place better, I would suggest putting the one side of self adhesive Velcro on the mat. Which every side seems to stick to the carpet. That should fix your problem. I think my mats even came with Velcro, but I did not feel it was needed. Note that the mats sold directly by BMW are weathertech's with different branding. Good luck.

08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for the OHV park.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I have the OEM front and the weathertech in the pass area and they are great.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

My BMW mats have Velcro bottoms, no movement.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

omg OP +1

im really disappointed with the weather tech mat for the front seats.. i was srsly considering complaining to weather tech canada...horrible design.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

I chose the BMW mats for front, rear and cargo area a year ago for my 2014 X3. They were cheaper than Weathertech when I got them online (eBay) from authorized BMW parts departments of authorized dealers. Great service, fast shipping, no problems.

Fit is exact. No issues except the little silver X3 decal on the front mats has gotten loose and been lost - I hated it anyway

I do not know what the price comparison is today or how that will work for folks outside the US.
      04-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I know they don't really recommend this, but we don't have any slippage issues with the all weather mats on top of the velours. You could consider putting heavy duty velcro on them to keep the mats in place.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
Canadianowner
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2012

Thanks for Info

Thanks for multiple replies. I will try the velcro tape idea. Hopefully it will stick nicely to the carpeting. Cheers, Canadianowner
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

I have used the Velcro on my weathertech and it works perfectly. The Velcro is super sticky. I'm afraid when the car wash or dealers go to wash my car I make sure to put a paper in between the Velcro as they won't care and just RIP out the mats. I don't want them to rip out or damage the bottom Velcro that's connected to the floor or carpet.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Good point with the Velcro. When I lift them out, I hold down the carpet.
For dealer wash I always pass on that.
Appreciate 0