BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
Swatter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X3

Jerking hesitation under acceleration. 2010 X3

2010 X3 3L V6

Replaced my valve cover gasket due to oil leak. Prior to replacing gasket vehicle ran fine. After replacing gasket vehicle began hesitating when accelerating.

Occurs after engine is warmed up and under a load right at 2,ooo RPM. Stuttering hesitation which feels like a bad coil/ plug.

All plugs and coils have been replaced in the last year. No fault codes present.

To diagnose I purchased a brand new coil and moved it from cylinder 1-6 positions with a test drive in between. Problem remains. All plugs removed and inspected. Valvetronic motor removed and gasket replaced. Valvetronic motor reset after re-installation. Problem remains.

Valvetronic motor makes a clicking noise when ignition is turned off. No oil is leaking from the valve gasket. Engine runs rough on startup but immediately smooths out. Other than hesitation at 2,000 RPM engine runs smooth and has lots of power.

Direction on what to look at next would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:59 PM   #2
mr2mike
Rep
Drives: X3

I believe there's a ground wire from the side of the head to the body. Is that attached and all good? Worth cleaning it given vehicle age.

You definitely did the valvetronic correctly? Maybe it's not engaging or something odd.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783767

Other idea with the start up roughness is the ccv hose totally on and not leaking.

Given the above stuff a try, you could also try
Booting up INPA or find someone who has it.
Read any codes.
Reset all the adaptations
Start vehicle. It'll probably run terrible. Shut off quickly.
Reset the codes.
Turn on ign.
Reset codes.
Uplug INPA and then go for a drive. There's usually a few error code lights on the dash still that go away quickly after a bit of driving. Then a vehicle restart.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 06:40 PM   #3
Swatter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X3

Not finding any ground wire running from the head to the body. I'm almost certain I didn't do the valvetronic correctly. I counted turns in and out but I think it got out of sync during re-installation. Can this be re-set without the use of INPA? I've tried the sequence of turning on the key and depressing the accelerator a given number of times described elsewhere but this has not solved my problem. I believe the CCV is connected properly. If this was the issue wouldn't it eventually throw an error code/ check engine light?

As far as INPA is concerned any advice on cables? There are many on Amazon for less than $50, some with software, some without. If I buy a cable can I download the software somewhere?

My vehicle is under a re-call notice notice dealing with the VANOS assembly bolts loosening off/ breaking. Unfortunately I live about 4 hours from my closest dealer. They mention transportation to the dealer so maybe I will contact them and see if they are covering this or if I have to.
Appreciate 0