BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
kwcbimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Fuel door frozen

I couldn't open the fuel door when I wanted to fill up yesterday. After gently blowing hot air from an air dryer and trying to push it several times, it finally opened. Then I found ice in the fuel cap compartment and also around the fuel door seal. The car was touchless washed on Sat. but since Sun. it is extremely cold here in south Ontario. However, I was wondering why lots of water got into the compartment. After taking a close look, I found the fuel door not completely flush with the body, mainly the lower portion. As my x3 is black, it is not very noticeable. but I think this was where the water went in.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Is it worthwhile to take it to the dealer? Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
wingless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Everytime I wash my car I also dry the vehicle.

On mine, there is always water behind the fuel door that I dry as part of my process.

My expectation is that water would interfere w/ the door operation if frozen.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Paul_R_Canada
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: MB 2013 GLK250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcbimmer View Post
I couldn't open the fuel door when I wanted to fill up yesterday. After gently blowing hot air from an air dryer and trying to push it several times, it finally opened. Then I found ice in the fuel cap compartment and also around the fuel door seal. The car was touchless washed on Sat. but since Sun. it is extremely cold here in south Ontario. However, I was wondering why lots of water got into the compartment. After taking a close look, I found the fuel door not completely flush with the body, mainly the lower portion. As my x3 is black, it is not very noticeable. but I think this was where the water went in.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Is it worthwhile to take it to the dealer? Thanks,
In this weather the drain tubes for sun roofs and gas caps etc freeze up so water cant escape fast enough and freezes, ive had enough cold...

Last edited by Paul_R_Canada; 02-19-2015 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Fat fingers
Appreciate 0