BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2022, 12:12 AM   #1
GeorgeThe4th
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xDrive 35i M Sport

Garage List
N55 misfire on warm start

Good morning all, wondering if anyone with the N55 has dealt with a misfire on a warm start. Car starts and idles fine when hot and cold. If there is a delay in time between me last shutting it off while hot and starting it then it will misfire on multiple cylinders when it comes down from its high idle. The missing only lasts for 10 seconds or so before the car heats up again. Even then sometimes I will throw it in gear and it will misfire again but harder since it is under load. Seems to correct itself pretty quick and has not stalled yet. I do not have a CEL or codes. I have replaced plugs and coils recently, hasn’t made a difference. I’m thinking upstream o2 sensor because of the symptoms. My thought is on a cold start it doesn’t do it because it’s running open loop for a longer time and not reading off the semi faulty o2 sensor until it’s warmed up. On a hot restart, it doesn’t because the sensor is still hot. Warm start motor is warm but sensor is cold, car reads off the o2 sensor earlier than cold and gets a false reading and misfires until the exhaust warms it up again. Just my thoughts and would appreciate any insight anyone has. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I thought the N55 was notorious for acting weird on warm start at idle for a few seconds.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2022, 10:02 PM   #3
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

I'd say check your fuel injectors for a leaking one...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 07:51 AM   #4
FranzX3M
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X3M

Was it doing this before you changed the plugs and coils? Could still be a cause. A bad or lazy O2 should trigger a code. Could be carbon deposits or dirty injectors. Try some quality fuel injector cleaner. That will address dirty injectors and combustion chamber but will not address carbon on intake valves which can cause bad idle.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 07:53 PM   #5
tastefulX3
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i F25

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
My x3 35i was acting like this too. Did you have any success with fuel injector cleaner? is this something that might require walnut blasting?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:18 PM   #6
GeorgeThe4th
Rep

Garage List
I have tried fuel injector cleaner in the past but another bottle of Liqui moly jectron can’t hurt. I think I’m also gonna pull some plugs after letting the car sit and see if I can smell gas on any of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 07:24 AM   #7
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I can tell you all that I just changed my plugs and coils, plugs dry as a bone when I took them out leading me to believe there's no issue with the injectors and have no other weird issues and on warm start my car can idle a little funky for the first two seconds. Nothing profound. Once you shift into D it completely stops.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 03:38 PM   #8
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Not x3 but came across this thread from google. I have a X5 N55 that has the same issue where I let the car sit for about 10 mins after driving, and the engine would misfire for about 2 seconds at start up and then its fine.

Also, it would randomly misfire when I'm cruising on a highway but this is once rare. I've only noticed it maybe 2 times.

I did get the oil filter housing gasket replaced so I'm wondering if its a boost/vacuum leak from the intake manifold. I wanted to try doing a smoke test but it wont be for awhile when I can get to it.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)

Last edited by jkwhar; 04-19-2023 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 12:54 AM   #9
solidsnake227
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX 2019 F01 740i 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeThe4th View Post
Good morning all, wondering if anyone with the N55 has dealt with a misfire on a warm start. Car starts and idles fine when hot and cold. If there is a delay in time between me last shutting it off while hot and starting it then it will misfire on multiple cylinders when it comes down from its high idle. The missing only lasts for 10 seconds or so before the car heats up again. Even then sometimes I will throw it in gear and it will misfire again but harder since it is under load. Seems to correct itself pretty quick and has not stalled yet. I do not have a CEL or codes. I have replaced plugs and coils recently, hasn’t made a difference. I’m thinking upstream o2 sensor because of the symptoms. My thought is on a cold start it doesn’t do it because it’s running open loop for a longer time and not reading off the semi faulty o2 sensor until it’s warmed up. On a hot restart, it doesn’t because the sensor is still hot. Warm start motor is warm but sensor is cold, car reads off the o2 sensor earlier than cold and gets a false reading and misfires until the exhaust warms it up again. Just my thoughts and would appreciate any insight anyone has. Thank you!
Did you figure it out what is the issue, I have same exact issue on my N55 and I changed new OE injectors, oem plugs, oem coils, valves intake cleaned and all seals replaced , oem vanos solenoids, OEM O2 sensors, OE HPFP, OEM airflow, OEM valve cover, replaced throttle body with a used one, car updated, new adaptation, new engine body power control, used fuel module and programmed to the car, smoke test twice and no leak and I sill have this issue.., any update would help, Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 12:40 PM   #10
GeorgeThe4th
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake227 View Post
Did you figure it out what is the issue, I have same exact issue on my N55 and I changed new OE injectors, oem plugs, oem coils, valves intake cleaned and all seals replaced , oem vanos solenoids, OEM O2 sensors, OE HPFP, OEM airflow, OEM valve cover, replaced throttle body with a used one, car updated, new adaptation, new engine body power control, used fuel module and programmed to the car, smoke test twice and no leak and I sill have this issue.., any update would help, Thanks
I have not found a solution yet. I just replaced spark plugs once again and am afraid didn’t make much of a difference at all. All the them looked bone dry when taking them out and the black stone oil analysis came back with no fuel in the oil. That rules out the injectors. My next step was the o2 sensors but I think I would get a code for it. I would like to do a smoke test if I can get my hands on a machine or through other means of finding an intake leak. This problem is on the back burner for me currently because I am about to replace my control arms to fix a drivability problem and vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 12:47 PM   #11
solidsnake227
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX 2019 F01 740i 2015

I replaced the O2 sensors on mine with OE and didn’t make any difference…. No code is the worse.

I saw some YouTube uses this machine and sounds really good and worked well
https://www.autolinepro.com/products...-smoke-machine

Keep me posted please if you find the problem and best of luck keeping your car healthy!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #12
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

My bet is on leaking injectors....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #13
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
My bet is on leaking injectors....
Wouldn't a leaking injector fail the ISTA fuel pressure test plan? I'm almost tempted to buy a BM3 license so I can use the data log for diagnostics lol.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 01:12 PM   #14
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Not x3 but came across this thread from google. I have a X5 N55 that has the same issue where I let the car sit for about 10 mins after driving, and the engine would misfire for about 2 seconds at start up and then its fine.

Also, it would randomly misfire when I'm cruising on a highway but this is once rare. I've only noticed it maybe 2 times.

I did get the oil filter housing gasket replaced so I'm wondering if its a boost/vacuum leak from the intake manifold. I wanted to try doing a smoke test but it wont be for awhile when I can get to it.
It may not be apples to apples as I believe (depending on the year of your X5) that you have an EWG N55. Not sure if this issue occurs with them or not. Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 10:04 PM   #15
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
This has been happening to my 2011 535. But it comes and goes. I’ve isolated it to cylinder 1. I have one new injector in cylinder 1 from maybe 20k miles ago and all the plugs and coils are maybe 40k miles ago.

I also have a 2012 X3 with the N55… same deal. My 2011 135 with the N55 also did it once in a while when I had it. Again, all 3 cars have/had their plugs/coils done in a timely manner.

I think that’s just the way the N55 is. Temperamental. It is what it is. I’ve even heard B58s hiccup here and there. But this doesn’t mean I intent to say there aren’t any underlying issues. It could vary per car. Although in my experience over 4 different cars with all routinely maintained N55s, that’s just how they are (I presume).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 06:40 AM   #16
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

You have a leaky injector. I had this same problem where if I could start the car, t would run smooth and nice and idle nicely as well. When the car was warm and i would go to the mall and come back, I would get misfires as soon as I start the car warm. Replaced injectors and the problem was solved. You can also buy an ultrasonic cleaner and blast your current injectors and see if the problem goes away. That would only cost you an ultrasonic injector plus a few hours of work.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:32 PM   #17
GeorgeThe4th
Rep

Garage List
Still to this day doing the same warm start issue, learned to live with it so far. Just scanned the car and had a shadow code 118401 - Mixture control fuel air mixture too lean, large deviation and 11CF30 - Mixture control: multiple fault.
Looked it up and found this video on a failed valve cover that doesn't fail in the typical way by a crack on the outside but rather an internal crack in the vacuum tank portion of the valve cover. In the video it states you can find out if there is a crack/failed valve cover by removing the vacuum line from the valve cover coming from the vacuum pump. If there is oil in there then it has cracked/failed. I am skeptical about this and would like to know what you guys discover. Mine has a good amount of oil when sticking a screwdriver in the tip comes out wet. A while ago I replaced the valve cover gasket and for some dumb reason I didn't replace the valve cover. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. But I would like to know what you guys find in the way of if it is bone dry or if there is supposed to be some oil in there. Here is the video for reference. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:36 PM   #18
GeorgeThe4th
Rep

Garage List
Also the car has over 140,000 miles on it and the valve cover has not been replaced to my knowledge so double shame on me
Appreciate 0