BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
jc4ho
Rep
Drives: BMW

Clicking Sound when switching out of P

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone else is hearing this sound. I recently noticed it while I had my window rolled down, and when I switch from Park to Drive, there's a somewhat loud clicking sound. I know obviously the transmission is mechanical and may make some sound, but just wanted to know if anyone else hears this. The sound is actually even louder if the car is faced downhill, and the car actually jerks forward even when I have my foot planted solidly on the brakes when switching from Park to Drive.

There's a click sound when switching from Drive to Park as well, but its not nearly as noticeable.

To all of the fellow X3 owners, I'd appreciate if you could test it and let me know... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4ho View Post
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone else is hearing this sound. I recently noticed it while I had my window rolled down, and when I switch from Park to Drive, there's a somewhat loud clicking sound. I know obviously the transmission is mechanical and may make some sound, but just wanted to know if anyone else hears this. The sound is actually even louder if the car is faced downhill, and the car actually jerks forward even when I have my foot planted solidly on the brakes when switching from Park to Drive.

There's a click sound when switching from Drive to Park as well, but its not nearly as noticeable.

To all of the fellow X3 owners, I'd appreciate if you could test it and let me know... Thanks!
Right when you start the car there is slightly increased load on the drivetrain as the X3 almost always idles high for the first 15-30 seconds. It's more prominent when the car is cold but can still happen whenever. I do notice it sometimes and I choose to ignore it...not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
jc4ho
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the response. To clarify, you mean the mechanical sounds of switching gears is normal when first starting the car because the drivetrain is still cold?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My question is a little different - in sport mode, when I'm going very slowly or coming to a stop I get a loud (well, not quiet) click when it shifts from 2nd to 1st. To me it sounds like the muffler bypass - is that possible?
      08-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4ho View Post
Thanks for the response. To clarify, you mean the mechanical sounds of switching gears is normal when first starting the car because the drivetrain is still cold?
It's as simple as the engine putting out more power at 1100 rpm than at 700 rpm. 1100 rpm = higher load on the drivetrain than at 700 rpm.

It's not bad for the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

What you describe is similar to something I had on my E46. It turned out that the gear box needed re-programming. I cannot hear anything on my X3!
Appreciate 0