BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-02-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
mac10
Private
England
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo (SOLD)!

ALPINA XD3......Autocar Review!!

Hello,

I just thought I would post this and let you 35i & 35d X3 owners have a read!!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alpina/xd3

Brilliant review!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Just saw that an Alpina's Facebook page.

Positive review for the definatley

Not keen on the white though.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

It looks nice, but I would be seriously worried about destroying those wheels on the pot holed roads in Britain! I would imagine the ride would be quite harsh too?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
mac10
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
I would imagine the ride would be quite harsh too?
Are you Serious??

Did you not read the review??

Quote from the text:-

'With a standard spec that includes electronically controlled adaptive dampers, four-mode Drive Performance Control and a variable-ratio sports steering rack, the XD3’s suspension tune has been judged to perfection: firm, but not too firm. Handling is agile and sweetly balanced and body control is exemplary, yet there’s still some compliance in the ride at low speeds, in Comfort mode at least. Sport mode can get a bit jiggly on UK roads, but overall the XD3 rides better than the Cayenne, for example.'
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
Broch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d M-Sport

Hi mac
If I hadn't had my X3 already, I certainly would have been interested as I miss my D3, but I can't see the benifit of changing my 35d for one now.
After all it is the same engine
      08-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
Are you Serious??

Did you not read the review??

'With a standard spec that includes electronically controlled adaptive dampers, four-mode Drive Performance Control and a variable-ratio sports steering rack, the XD3’s suspension tune has been judged to perfection: firm, but not too firm. Handling is agile and sweetly balanced and body control is exemplary, yet there’s still some compliance in the ride at low speeds, in Comfort mode at least. Sport mode can get a bit jiggly on UK roads, but overall the XD3 rides better than the Cayenne, for example.'

Apparently not! With sidewalls that shallow it would be unsuitable for the roads down here. I believe the wheels would get damaged and if the adaptive suspension is the same as the standard BMW set-up (?) then it will still feel harsh due to lack of damping from the tyre sidewalls.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Is this coming to the US ?
      08-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
mac10
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
Apparently not! With sidewalls that shallow it would be unsuitable for the roads down here. I believe the wheels would get damaged and if the adaptive suspension is the same as the standard BMW set-up (?) then it will still feel harsh due to lack of damping from the tyre sidewalls.
Hi,
Are you referring to the top picture regarding the tyre wall looking shallow?

If so then the reason for this is that the car is being thrashed into a bend!

It runs on normal tyres, not run flats so it has more flexibility in the tyre wall than an X3 35d, or yours for that matter!! I do believe the suspension has been tweaked by Alpina, as the gearbox amongst other things.

Until recently I had an Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo with similar low profile tyres and had no problems then before that a I had a D3 Mono-Turbo and that had lower profiles than the Bi-Turbo.....still had no issues!

I'm not saying that it is impossible to have wheel damage, after all if you hit a deep enough pothole at a fast enough speed then you will damage a wheel BUT that goes for any car.....even yours that you are driving on the roads down there!!!
The roads 'Up North' are no better or worse than where you are.

Sorry I still fail to understand your comment, especially as it is an uninformed one.

Last edited by mac10; 08-09-2013 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,
Are you referring to the top picture regarding the tyre wall looking shallow?

If so then the reason for this is that the car is being thrashed into a bend!

It runs on normal tyres, not run flats so it has more flexibility in the tyre wall than an X3 35d, or yours for that matter!! I do believe the suspension has been tweaked by Alpina, as the gearbox amongst other things.

Until recently I had an Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo with similar low profile tyres and had no problems then before that a I had a D3 Mono-Turbo and that had lower profiles than the Bi-Turbo.....still had no issues!

I'm not saying that it is impossible to have wheel damage, after all if you hit a deep enough pothole at a fast enough speed then you will damage a wheel BUT that goes for any car.....even yours that you are driving on the roads down there!!!
The roads 'Up North' are no better or worse than where you are.

Sorry I still fail to understand your comment, especially as it is an uninformed one.
My uninformed comment is based upon my knowledge of suspension in terms of vibration isolation of tyres and the effect that this has on the unsprung mass of the car. Lower profile tyres afford less vibration isolation and can absorb less energy generated from bumps or pot holes. I could go on, but I suspect that it is a waste of time!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
mac10
Private
England
Rep

I have yet to read a review of ANY Alpina not handling better than any equivalent BMW on which it is based!!

I also think experience counts, especially personal experience, and I suspect you driving your 2.0d would NOT have a vast experience on the handling of any vehicle Alpina have produced over the years.

Feel free to go on and try to blind me with the science of suspension etc. but I suspect it is a load of tosh.

IMHO of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have yet to read a review of ANY Alpina not handling better than any equivalent BMW on which it is based!!

I also think experience counts, especially personal experience, and I suspect you driving your 2.0d would NOT have a vast experience on the handling of any vehicle Alpina have produced over the years.

Feel free to go on and try to blind me with the science of suspension etc. but I suspect it is a load of tosh.

IMHO of course.
This is my original post:
It looks nice, but I would be seriously worried about destroying those wheels on the pot holed roads in Britain! I would imagine the ride would be quite harsh too?

That was my opinion followed by a question on harsh ride. This was not a dig at you!

I have just had 4 years experience with an E92 M3 and 2 M sport BMWs before that. I have 20 years experience as an engineer!

Saying any more to you is as suspected - a wast of time!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
mac10
Private
England
Rep

Quote:

I never took it as a 'personal dig'!!
I am just amazed at your comments regarding 'too harsh', even more so now you have said you have come from an M3, or even after the M Sport cars.

How many E9x wheels were damaged and suffered cracks etc on the rims?
I believe this was due to the Run Flat Tyres ie stiff tyre walls + stiff(ish) suspension.

How many Alpina's had the same fate?.......answer One or Two.
Yes they have had some damaged wheels with pot holes etc. but I have already pointed out that you can get this with any car.

I will concede that the text states that it can get jiggly (in red) but all you would have to do is revert to comfort mode surely!

As also stated earlier, I go from personal experience so unless you fitted standard tyres to any of your E9x cars I can't say the same with you.

But if you did I am sure you will let me know.

regards

Mac.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Mac,

I think this all got off on the wrong foot. I asked the question about harsh ride on the basis that my current X3 tends to be harsh on some of the rough roads here on the coast and I have only the 19" 369s fitted. I have issues with run flat tires generally and didn't use them on the M3. The profile of the tyres on the XD3 is even lower and that raised an eyebrow with me.

Alpina produce great upgrades and I have no doubt that the XD3 is superb and handles perfectly. Having had such shallow tyre walls on the E92, I merely questioned the shallowness on the XD3. I expect the springs are well tuned to the compliance of the tyres and the adaptive suspension must help. It is just not what I would personally want as I am trying to find a more comfortable option which my X3 isn't offering.

Regards,
Ian
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #14
mac10
Private
England
Rep

Hi Ian,

Can you Adam and Eve it!!!

Autocar review states:-

I bought the magazine on Saturday.......only to find that in says in the 'Not Good' section......SOME MIGHT FIND THE RIDE TOO HARSH!!

Contradiction on the text or what!

So in short your initial comment could be justified!

regards
Mac.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Mac,

It is such a subjective thing and what some may find harsh , others may find fine.

I expect it is a smoother ride than mine with 369Ms, run flats and no adaptive dampers!

Regards,
Ian

P.S. I didn't pay them to write that - honestly!

Last edited by ianfp; 08-12-2013 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Changed mind on text
Appreciate 0