BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
YS1978
The Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

new tire size

i just got a set of breyton 19' wheels

i live in mexico so i wanted to know if going to 255/50/19 will affect something on the car

traction control?? xdrive??

or it is a better idea to stick with 245/45/19

?

thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Don't know if you already have done it but it really isn't rocket science to calculate any tires overall diameter. If you can't do it from basics there are plenty of tire size calculators on the web.

In going from 245/45/19s to 255/50/19s, the tires overall diameter will increase from 703.1mm (27.7 ins) to 737.6mm (29.0ins). This is a 1.3in or 4.9% increase in tire diameter. To be honest with you don't know if this will cause problems with the xdrive. One contributor here did change his tires by nearly 10% and ran into problems with numerous alarms and warnings from the cars systems.

With the combination of the 1.3in increase in overall diameter and the wider tire, I'd be more concerned about whether the tire would foul any part of the car under all conditions of suspension movement and steering angle. I do currently run an oversized tire (12mm or 0.5in larger diameter than the OEM size) without any issues.

The 4.9% increase in tire diameter would also of course result in your speedo reading 4.9% low.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
YS1978
The Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Don't know if you already have done it but it really isn't rocket science to calculate any tires overall diameter. If you can't do it from basics there are plenty of tire size calculators on the web.

In going from 245/45/19s to 255/50/19s, the tires overall diameter will increase from 703.1mm (27.7 ins) to 737.6mm (29.0ins). This is a 1.3in or 4.9% increase in tire diameter. To be honest with you don't know if this will cause problems with the xdrive. One contributor here did change his tires by nearly 10% and ran into problems with numerous alarms and warnings from the cars systems.

With the combination of the 1.3in increase in overall diameter and the wider tire, I'd be more concerned about whether the tire would foul any part of the car under all conditions of suspension movement and steering angle. I do currently run an oversized tire (12mm or 0.5in larger diameter than the OEM size) without any issues.

The 4.9% increase in tire diameter would also of course result in your speedo reading 4.9% low.

Tony
thnks brissim

i now how to calculate the size, my biggest concern was the size difference and the problems it will cause

thanks again for your help

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

My ultra high performance Continental Contact Sport 5P SSR (Conti RFT designation) 255/35-19 XL tires on ASA GT5 19x9 wheels are on the 35i with ZAP and ZHP for the second non-winter three seasons of use with vastly improved handling and braking. The Goodyear LS2s on their 309 wheels are in the garage reserved for mid-November to mid-March use. Despite the approximately 12% reduction in tire diameter and corresponding increase in revolutions per mile, I have had absolutely no problems in about 5K miles of use. I chose these, a stock tire for some MB models, over two other high performance models of 245/45-19 RFTs because they showed the best performance test results by a significant margin. I fully understood the extent of deviation from stock size. They look a bit small in the wheel openings but in view of their performance, I don't care at all.

Last edited by Leighton; 08-02-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0