BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

Nav - Interesting Routes

I took in my X3 just before a road trip up to Maine from Long Island, NY for its first service. My advisor mentioned that he had a new map update, so I figured what the heck (no cost).

Well, on my way back from ME, I entered my home address and this is the route is determined:

Maine to Long Island, NY by way of Quebec?

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Was avoid toll on?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
mcorliss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 M-Sport (Loaded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post
I took in my X3 just before a road trip up to Maine from Long Island, NY for its first service. My advisor mentioned that he had a new map update, so I figured what the heck (no cost).

Well, on my way back from ME, I entered my home address and this is the route is determined:

Thanks,
dr
Of all NAV systems I've owned over the years, my X3 is by far the worst ever. Truly a piece of sh*t! My best was my 2005 545i. How's that for progress...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

That does really look like it was trying to avoid toll roads based on the route and knowing there are a few toll roads on the most direct route.

Otherwise, maybe the new map has a scenic route option that is turned on, or maybe you asked it to find the nearest place to buy a french man's speedo!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

The option to avoid toll roads was definitely not selected. I used the nav to get to Boston without issue. Once I got the car back from the hotel valet, it was a little disoriented. Maybe the tall building were interfering with the signal? Once we were outside of Boston, the nav tried to take me to Quebec to get to Bar Harbor. I just continued on I95 and it eventually corrected itself.

I find the nav to be off when trying to find a specific street address. I've used it to get to friends' houses but it always places me a few houses away. I'll open my map app on the iPhone and it'll lead me to the house without issue.

Oh well...

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Pecker heads at BMW want to charge me for the 2013 map for my 2013 car.... I'll stick a Garmin on my dash to make a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post

Thanks,
dr
      07-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Desmoduece
ESA Vorderbau X3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

My biggest complaint is when the route is spot on but you stop for petrol and it recalculates out of the way. Odd, but I do like the traffic updates!
Appreciate 0