BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.0d

What to expect and should do when pickup a new X3?

Dear all X3 fellow members,

I ordered a 2.0d M-sport back in March and finally got a call from the dealer telling that the car has traveled across the ocean and finally landed to Australia! The long 3 months waiting is over and now available to pickup

This is our first BWM and we would like to ask what should we expect from the dealer when picking up the vehicle, and what should we do before handing over the cheque?

1. I found from this forum many people have wind noise problem due to the poor quality of rubber seals around windows that we will pay attention to them. Are there any other things we should pay attentions and inspect?

2. Are we allowed to test drive it before we sign the delivery document and handover the cheque?

3. Are there still chances to ask for any freebies/gifts, or is this too late?

4. I read the forum here there is a "ultimate benefit card" in US. Any Aussie members here know if BMW has such thing here in Australia?

5. Is it a general thing that, even for BWM, the dealer takes your cheque, shake hands and goodbye. If anything happens later on (I read the forum here many people have problems in weeks or just a month or two), they just refer you to the service department?

6. Any other advises and thoughts?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

What were your expectations when you bought your last new car? Why would they be any different for BMW, Audi, or any other maker? You make your best deal, ask for any "freebies" sign the dotted line and enjoy your now used car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrmann View Post
What were your expectations when you bought your last new car? Why would they be any different for BMW, Audi, or any other maker? You make your best deal, ask for any "freebies" sign the dotted line and enjoy your now used car.
Indeed your are right, very true. This is my 2nd car in my life. My last one was a Toyota, nothing much happened in the pickup, pretty much I handed over the cheque, shack hands, goodbye. This time given it is a car 3 times more expensive than a Toyota, I was hoping we can expect a bit more than that, that’s all.

In addition, my 1st car has been running for 11 years with no problems at all, and it is still running in good conditions! Toyota is a really reliable car. After reading many posts in this forum makes me worry the BWM is not as good as a Toyota in terms of build quality and reliability. If we look at it from a luxury car perspective, then of course Toyota can’t beat BWM at all, not even its Lexus brand.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozX3bimmer View Post

I ordered a 2.0d M-sport back in March and finally got a call from the dealer telling that the car has traveled across the ocean and finally landed to Australia! The long 3 months waiting is over and now available to pickup

This is our first BWM and we would like to ask what should we expect from the dealer when picking up the vehicle, and what should we do before handing over the cheque?

1. I found from this forum many people have wind noise problem due to the poor quality of rubber seals around windows that we will pay attention to them. Are there any other things we should pay attentions and inspect?

2. Are we allowed to test drive it before we sign the delivery document and handover the cheque?

4. I read the forum here there is a "ultimate benefit card" in US. Any Aussie members here know if BMW has such thing here in Australia?

5. Is it a general thing that, even for BWM, the dealer takes your cheque, shake hands and goodbye. If anything happens later on (I read the forum here many people have problems in weeks or just a month or two), they just refer you to the service department?

Thanks.
Giving you a UK perspective......

I have taken delivery of quite a few new vehicles mainly BMW/Merc/Audi/Volvo.

Depending on your sales exec he/she should give you a full handover of the vehicle (if you want that) which will include a full run through of the vehicles features and controls.

My main area of attention when I take delivery is the paintwork, trim and seats for any signs of damage - which are difficult to prove at a later time that they were there at the time of delivery. I have never test driven a vehicle on handover other than my drive home.

It is a fact of life that however much you pay for a vehicle it is still mechanical and full of electronics and may go wrong, my personal experience with BMW is that I have never had any problems with getting things sorted, sometimes with a little patience but always get there in the end. In the UK each dealership has a 'Master Technician', they are highly experienced and generally very keen to get to the bottom of stubborn issues. If you have an issue its always worth discussion with them rather than just the service receptionist. Regardless of when faults happen you will always be refered to the service department although never does any harm to make your sales exec aware in the early days of ownership.

I think you may have missed the boat on any freebies and to be honest if a sales exec starts throwing in freebies I would always take this as a sign that you have paid too much for the vehicle, anything that I actually want and need is always negotiated at the time of sale.

Hope that helps !

MS
      05-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep

Thanks a lot Stevens, I'm totally agree with you. I'm going to pickup the car tomorrow and will update you all, see if there were any differences in Oz here than in US and UK
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Fargo13
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Please post a picture or two.
Good luck! I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozX3bimmer View Post

Thanks.
Giving you a UK perspective......

I have taken delivery of quite a few new vehicles mainly BMW/Merc/Audi/Volvo.

Depending on your sales exec he/she should give you a full handover of the vehicle (if you want that) which will include a full run through of the vehicles features and controls.

My main area of attention when I take delivery is the paintwork, trim and seats for any signs of damage - which are difficult to prove at a later time that they were there at the time of delivery. I have never test driven a vehicle on handover other than my drive home.

It is a fact of life that however much you pay for a vehicle it is still mechanical and full of electronics and may go wrong, my personal experience with BMW is that I have never had any problems with getting things sorted, sometimes with a little patience but always get there in the end. In the UK each dealership has a 'Master Technician', they are highly experienced and generally very keen to get to the bottom of stubborn issues. If you have an issue its always worth discussion with them rather than just the service receptionist. Regardless of when faults happen you will always be refered to the service department although never does any harm to make your sales exec aware in the early days of ownership.

I think you may have missed the boat on any freebies and to be honest if a sales exec starts throwing in freebies I would always take this as a sign that you have paid too much for the vehicle, anything that I actually want and need is always negotiated at the time of sale.

Hope that helps !

MS
Yes. Check for damage. Take pictures before you sign of the entire car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep

Hi all, thanks for all the advices. The pick up went well this morning with the following sequence of events happened

1. Reception lady asked us for a coffee or tea.

2. The sales consultant took us to have a look at the new car. We looked around and things seem alright, and obviously the X3 looks great!

3. After that we went back to his desk, he then shown us some documents that we've to sign, such as the delivery, registration, and etc. At the same time he asked for our cheque and passed onto the business and finance manager.

4. He asked us to wait for the manager to come out, gave us a receipt to acknowledge he received our cheque. Also shown us all sort of the insurances they offer. We took none of them and he asked us to sign a document to acknowledge he did tell us all that. I believe it is a legal thing here that we have to say he did inform us about all these.

5. Then the sales consultant presented us all sort of manuals, the car, the iDrive, warranty and etc. All packed in a nice black colour bag.

6. Next he took out a big bag which is a cooler bag with BWM logo on it. Inside there are two caps, one pen, two key rings, and interestingly two pack of Mini minties, all with the BWM and the dealer's logo on it though. I have attached a picture here for your interest He also said that there will be a pack of gift posted to our address couple days later, guess that one is from the BWM instead of the dealer.

7. We put the whole lot into the cooler and put it in the trunk. He then started to give us an overview of each or major functionality within the car, and that lasted about half an hour.

8. Upon finish, he officially handed over the car to us, handshake, and drove the car out of the dealer showroom.

Overall we are quite happy with the handover experiences, and of course happy with the freebies!!

Unfortunately it's a raining day and muds already on the wheels on the way back home. We may have to wait a bit later when the weather is good and we clean the car before taking some photos to share.

We will update you all once we got the delivery that he mentioned. Not sure if it was the "ultimate benefit card" the fellow members here received in the US?

PS: BTW we've asked to remove the X3 and X-drive logos/badges that you see on the table.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #9
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Congrats on the new car! And ofcourse welcome to the sheer driving pleasure experience that you will get !

But dont mind me asking what is the reason of taking the badge off? I never understood why people do that?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I always order my BMW's without badges. It's an esthetic thing. Looks more beautiful without.