BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Thumbs up 35d / BP Ultimate Diesel / Impressed

I switched from Shell Nitro + Diesel to BP Ultimate today (purely because I was driving past a BP and needed to fill up before a long trip home...)

Maybe the engine is loosening up, maybe the fuel played a part. Not sure and I have no way of telling, but this is a personal best over a 100 mile trip for this car.

We have also just ordered a Volvo XC60 D5 to replace the Land Rover (was originally going to be an XC90 but we hated it in comparison) and even though that has a smaller engine (2.4 Twin Turbo Inline 5 Cylinder @ 215bhp 440nm) I don't think that will even come close to matching this which is a testament to the engineering that goes into these engines taking into account the performance and the fact it's quite tall compared to a saloon/estate.

/big smile/

MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

Having just traded in an XC60 D5 I can confirm that you will need to drive very conservatively to get to 34mpg. I'm also a little sceptical of the "performance" fuels and have yet to be convinced of their value. I work in a Refinery and know that all of the branded fuels come from the same stock tanks and is manufactured to EN standards. What the companies add to make the fuel "more powerful and efficient" I have no idea but I just stick to using the EN590 diesel fuel and it's fine for me.
      08-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Will you miss the sound of the D5? One of the finest sounding oil burners ever made in my opinion.

My understanding is that the latest gen XC60 D5 will average around 38 and tip 40 on a long run...

Funny you should say that - my Mrs worked on fuel contracts and said the same, yet my Dad had a Moneo a few years back that ran like a dog on Supermarket diesel but was fine on Shell / BP etc. Odd.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout View Post
Will you miss the sound of the D5? One of the finest sounding oil burners ever made in my opinion.
Each to their own. In my opinion Volvo's D5 is one of the crudest sounding diesels in the market today and has no place in luxury/premium vehicles. Under load, it really does sound like a tractor. Even though we come from a background of Volvos (our second car is a C30 T5), when we were looking at replacing our then XC70 2 years ago the final comparison came down to the XC60 D5 vs the X3 30d. Even though it costs more, in the end it was a no brainer to choose the X3 - and one of the reasons was the D5 engine.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Each to their own. In my opinion Volvo's D5 is one of the crudest sounding diesels in the market today and has no place in luxury/premium vehicles. Under load, it really does sound like a tractor. Even though we come from a background of Volvos (our second car is a C30 T5), when we were looking at replacing our then XC70 2 years ago the final comparison came down to the XC60 D5 vs the X3 30d. Even though it costs more, in the end it was a no brainer to choose the X3 - and one of the reasons was the D5 engine.

Tony
Shows how much of a personal choice it is. There is no two ways about it, the BMW engine is better hands down, but I filmed this two years ago in my old S60 D5 (which was the Euro 4 version of the D5 engine @ 163bhp) and I think it sounds many times better than the BMW engine - undoubtedly better than my 35d which sounds bland and characterless in comparison if if it is more economical, more refined, better performing etc. There is just something about the 5 cylinder groan that puts a smile on my face.

But then thats just me! I bet the C30 T5 is an animal
Appreciate 0