BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Tomlomcom
Rep
Drives: X3 2014

Can I take it beach driving?

Have anyone done it? A friend asked me to join them but some how I thought off road is not really recommended for x3 ..
Cheers
Andy
pS no sand dune or any of those extreme manoeuvre .. More like strolling along wet sand
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlomcom View Post
Have anyone done it? A friend asked me to join them but some how I thought off road is not really recommended for x3 ..
Cheers
Andy
pS no sand dune or any of those extreme manoeuvre .. More like strolling along wet sand
I think this is less of a mechanical decision and more of a personal one. X3 is AWD and is reasonably hardened against water (check the manual but I think it was like 15" of water? 19"?) so with proper handling, should be able to go in conditions like you are describing. I've seen videos of performance delivery in Spartanburg and they really beat them up, so some flat wet sand should be simple.

The larger question, is do you want to subject your $40K+ pretty vehicle to corrosive salt water, and abrasive sand that comes with beach driving that you need to clean up?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
... do you want to subject your $40K+ pretty vehicle to corrosive salt water, and abrasive sand that comes with beach driving ...
That was my immediate thought when I read your question but I have my X3 in NY in an area that gets walloped with lake effect snow throughout the winter. It will be subject to the massive amounts of sand and salt used continuously to keep the roads usable. Is there a difference?

There might be a difference although I am certainly not sure. The sand used on roads does not appear to me to be as fine grained as beach sand. If this is correct, the sand applied to the roads might not be as intrusive as beach sand. Second, I think calcium chloride is the salt used whereas the car will be subject to exposure to sodium chloride on the beach. I do not know if there is a difference between them with respect to which is more likely to cause corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

No difference at all, salt is salt. I'm just saying it still needs to be cleaned off after the fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
That was my immediate thought when I read your question but I have my X3 in NY in an area that gets walloped with lake effect snow throughout the winter. It will be subject to the massive amounts of sand and salt used continuously to keep the roads usable. Is there a difference?

There might be a difference although I am certainly not sure. The sand used on roads does not appear to me to be as fine grained as beach sand. If this is correct, the sand applied to the roads might not be as intrusive as beach sand. Second, I think calcium chloride is the salt used whereas the car will be subject to exposure to sodium chloride on the beach. I do not know if there is a difference between them with respect to which is more likely to cause corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Depends on how long you plan ot own your X3....
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

go for it.... we went sand driving in our other car in France when it was new- when we left we went to a car wash and jet washed the undersides - 5 years on and it shows no sign of any issues - We are hoping to take the X3 back next year to give it a go...
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
Tomlomcom
Rep
Drives: X3 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

The larger question, is do you want to subject your $40K+ pretty vehicle to corrosive salt water, and abrasive sand that comes with beach driving that you need to clean up?
Hehe it's actually 80k+ here in Australia...

Well my main concern was getting bogged in the sand ... Lucky the mates all drive those Japanese SUV they can winch me out

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (F25) xDrive 28i

Here we spend the winter in the snow, ice and sand and salt on the roads and no problems. Driving on the beach is much less worse! Have fun!

ps I'm going off-road regularly with my X3, no problem, it's made ​​for that.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Search out some of the X3 demo drives when they first released this update version -- they're driving through plenty of off road muck.
      07-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlomcom View Post
Well my main concern was getting bogged in the sand ... Lucky the mates all drive those Japanese SUV they can winch me out

Cheers
I wouldn't bet on it. Most of those Japanese SUV only have on-demand AWD. At lest the X3 has the advantage of permanent AWD.

Back to your original question - as long as the sand is compact and you don't intend to be an idiot and drive it through the surf it should be no problem. As with all beach driving regardless of the vehicle, once you're back home give the car - especially the underside - a good wash down not just for the sand, but also for the salt spray.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

someone posted a youtube video on this forum or another of the X3 getting tested at the South carolina plant & the off road capabilities are rather impressive by the X3 actually... i was really surprised... So it will def handle that beach.... just give it a good wash after, especially the under carriage.. you will be fine...
Appreciate 0