BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

28i versus 35i Engine

Hello All: I have seen performance buffs rave about the inline 6 35i. However, are there any X3 owners with the 28i that wish they had gone for the 35i? Any reliability issues with the 28i? I am confident the 240HP/260 Torque will be adequate for my purposes.

FYI:
I am living in Japan and ordering a bmw for US delivery. Some may have seen me in multiple forums. I have found my next assignment will be in a wintry destination. As such, I have decided to order a 2015/2016 X3 28i.

I currently own a 2009 528i X Drive, but trading that in for wife's mini-van.

Thanks for any insight/advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Punk
Hello All: I have seen performance buffs rave about the inline 6 35i. However, are there any X3 owners with the 28i that wish they had gone for the 35i? Any reliability issues with the 28i? I am confident the 240HP/260 Torque will be adequate for my purposes.

FYI:
I am living in Japan and ordering a bmw for US delivery. Some may have seen me in multiple forums. I have found my next assignment will be in a wintry destination. As such, I have decided to order a 2015/2016 X3 28i.

I currently own a 2009 528i X Drive, but trading that in for wife's mini-van.

Thanks for any insight/advice.
If 'adequate' is what you're looking for- you'll be fine. The 2.0 and ZF8 can move the X3 with ease.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
If 'adequate' is what you're looking for- you'll be fine. The 2.0 and ZF8 can move the X3 with ease.
Thanks. Any issues with reliability?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Punk
Quote:
Thanks. Any issues with reliability?
I drive a 35i, but both engines are ubiquitous in the BMW line up. At this point, any issues have been largely ironed out. That said, these are complex, turbo charged engines. Maintenance and a proper break-in are imperative.

If you're leaning towards an option-heavy build, you may want to consider the 35i as the differential narrows considerably as many 28i options are standard on the 35i (xenons, for instance). And it's way more satisfying to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

I tested the 28i and with my driving habit (i'm a spirited driver ) it revs higher and louder than I really wanted. Felt like I was pushing it beyond its capabilities even though it can take it. Just wasn't for me. Felt like my wife's new CRV at full throttle. if you're also a little heavy footed, i'd say go for the the 35i. 35i xdrive has lots of power and is very fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

on the N20 engine, There's a momentary delay from the instant you want to give the car a boot while the car has settled on a cruise to when the engine actually delivers the "boost".

FWIW, I've been doing stuff to my x28i when I probably would have been satisfied with a x35i M Sport from the get go
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
LeontiyZHP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90m3; F15x35i

I have the 28i. I liked the 35i, but with the options I wanted it ended up over my budget. The 35i felt smoother in delivering the power. But, the 28i feels good, as my daily driver. It might not be the fastest off the line, but it is fast enough for me. Looking at the specs, the 35i was one second faster in 0-60, but the fact that it is an SAV and with the way I drive, I don't find myself in situations where I need that extra second.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
on the N20 engine, There's a momentary delay from the instant you want to give the car a boot while the car has settled on a cruise to when the engine actually delivers the "boost".

FWIW, I've been doing stuff to my x28i when I probably would have been satisfied with a x35i M Sport from the get go
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeontiyZHP View Post
I have the 28i. I liked the 35i, but with the options I wanted it ended up over my budget. The 35i felt smoother in delivering the power. But, the 28i feels good, as my daily driver. It might not be the fastest off the line, but it is fast enough for me. Looking at the specs, the 35i was one second faster in 0-60, but the fact that it is an SAV and with the way I drive, I don't find myself in situations where I need that extra second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drodnyc View Post
I tested the 28i and with my driving habit (i'm a spirited driver ) it revs higher and louder than I really wanted. Felt like I was pushing it beyond its capabilities even though it can take it. Just wasn't for me. Felt like my wife's new CRV at full throttle. if you're also a little heavy footed, i'd say go for the the 35i. 35i xdrive has lots of power and is very fun to drive.
Quote:
I drive a 35i, but both engines are ubiquitous in the BMW line up. At this point, any issues have been largely ironed out. That said, these are complex, turbo charged engines. Maintenance and a proper break-in are imperative.

If you're leaning towards an option-heavy build, you may want to consider the 35i as the differential narrows considerably as many 28i options are standard on the 35i (xenons, for instance). And it's way more satisfying to drive.
Thank you all for your insight!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
rangertrace
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4

Quote:
I agree. The 28i has plenty of power for most traffic conditions and it's extremely quiet on the inside which makes listening to the radio or talking on the phone even more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 N52

With the price of oil at 5yr lows...its fun to let it rip. I would go with the bigger engine. You can never have too much power.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:55 AM   #11
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
I agree. The 28i has plenty of power for most traffic conditions and it's extremely quiet on the inside which makes listening to the radio or talking on the phone even more enjoyable.
Thanks for your insight. I am building mine, and unfortunately I cannot afford the 35i and preferred options both. If I was ordering an M car or a 5 series sedan, the performance aspect would be much more important. Just looking for luxury with AWD and enough room to haul dogs and kids....small dogs.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:49 AM   #12
rangertrace
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Punk View Post
Thanks for your insight. I am building mine, and unfortunately I cannot afford the 35i and preferred options both. If I was ordering an M car or a 5 series sedan, the performance aspect would be much more important. Just looking for luxury with AWD and enough room to haul dogs and kids....small dogs.

I don't think you will be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am pretty much in the same position on mine. If I had the dough and the climate, I would opt for a 5 series decked out with all the goodies. I am trying to balance my love of BMW's with my real needs; it sucks...would love to drop the cash on my "dream car". Although, this build will pretty much complete my list, just not the HP part. I am going for:

X-Line
Premium Package
Lighting Package
Tech Package
HK sound
DAP

Sounds pretty close to a 35i, but in reality the 35i takes me just up a notch to about $4K USD more...unfortunately the line has to be drawn somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post

Thanks pokerface. Good insight!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #15
ehomedi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 28i X-Drive

I just got the X3 28i X-Drive and let me tell you that you will be shocked the first time you floor the accelerator. The first time I did this the passengers in the back seats flew back into their seats -- needless to say we were all quite impressed. Also the handling is just outstanding. My mom has a 2014 X5 35i and personally I would take my car over her's. Dont regret getting the 28i over the 35i at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
rangertrace
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehomedi View Post
I just got the X3 28i X-Drive and let me tell you that you will be shocked the first time you floor the accelerator. The first time I did this the passengers in the back seats flew back into their seats -- needless to say we were all quite impressed. Also the handling is just outstanding. My mom has a 2014 X5 35i and personally I would take my car over her's. Dont regret getting the 28i over the 35i at all.
I agree. The only thing missing is the nice engine sound.....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace
Quote:
I agree. The only thing missing is the nice engine sound.....
2L is a fine engine, but the comments on the feeling of acceleration off the line are largely a comment on gearing.

Where the two really diverge are at higher, highway speeds (when passing, or on graded terrain, etc.).

Drive them back to back- it's amazing how 'ample' quickly becomes comparatively 'anemic'.

For most folks- the 2L is a perfectly reasonable choice... but I find that most folks don't make their way to these forums. The ones that do- despite the desire to be reasonable- often end up pining for more (rationally or not).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
2L is a fine engine, but the comments on the feeling of acceleration off the line are largely a comment on gearing.

Where the two really diverge are at higher, highway speeds (when passing, or on graded terrain, etc.).

Drive them back to back- it's amazing how 'ample' quickly becomes comparatively 'anemic'.

For most folks- the 2L is a perfectly reasonable choice... but I find that most folks don't make their way to these forums. The ones that do- despite the desire to be reasonable- often end up pining for more (rationally or not).
Ditto. I would add, at a red light and you want to change a lane ( hopefully not two ) that I believe that 35i would make it safer/quicker, but I have not driven the 28i. Personal preference depends of driving style, saving gas, and choosing between want and needs. Majority buy 28i. I was in Japan 3 times, loved it. I remember the popular color was white. Are most not diesel?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #19
rangertrace
Rep

Just to add to the conversation. I have a friend who lives in NYC and has an X6 M, which of course is a beast. His Mom bought an X3 2.8 this week with the Turbo 4. He was very impressed with the acceleration of the smaller engine. I expected some negative comments just because of what he is used to driving.......
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #20
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Ditto. I would add, at a red light and you want to change a lane ( hopefully not two ) that I believe that 35i would make it safer/quicker, but I have not driven the 28i. Personal preference depends of driving style, saving gas, and choosing between want and needs. Majority buy 28i. I was in Japan 3 times, loved it. I remember the popular color was white. Are most not diesel?
Yes, in Japan A LOT of cars are white and a bunch of diesel engines. I am a Yank living over here and will take delivery back in the states. I am purchasing through a program that knocks off 3400 USD off of MSRP.

I have been in Japan for two years now, probably will be here another 18 months to 2 years, so saving up and building my car now. As for wants versus needs, well, I really, really want a 550i, but since my next job will probably be in a snowy environment, I am picking up an X3....also due to the fact that I cannot afford a 5 series or an X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #21
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
good to know!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #22
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
Just to add to the conversation. I have a friend who lives in NYC and has an X6 M, which of course is a beast. His Mom bought an X3 2.8 this week with the Turbo 4. He was very impressed with the acceleration of the smaller engine. I expected some negative comments just because of what he is used to driving.......
I appreciate the comparison and insight. As said, I have to draw the line some where. I could build and option to the sky, but with the 28i....at least I get some of the options I really want/need.
Appreciate 0