BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
BookemDano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

2016 X3 - Weird Combination?

After much deliberation and not a little self-searching, I think I found an overall combination that I like except for one major issue. Essentially it's the base 35i with almost all the options: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...?CMId=ct9ez2ph.

The major issue is the seats. I want the M Sport seats, but I don't like the looks of the M Sport. I like the plainer looks of the base model, but the seats are mediocre. I'd be happy to pay some serious money for the Sport seats on a base model, but they are not available AFAIK.

Is there any way to get the sport seats on the base model?

Regards,

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

I don't believe so, Bookem. When we ordered our 2011 and 2012 X3 xDr35i models we were able to order the 'Sport Activity Package' [ZAP] for USD $1,750, which provided the Sports seats, X-line exterior trim, and five other features. With our 2015, however, we were told the Sports seats were available only with the M-Sport. As those seats were paramount to our purchasing decision we had to go with the M-Sport, and actually have grown to like the styling as well.

It would be hoped (as discussed in the 'Wish List for the G01 thread - http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015499 ) that BMW may allow a more separate ordering system in its third iteration of the X3 line.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
We couldn't find a way and ordered an Msport to get the seats and will put up with the look (and whatever other limitations there are to the Msport configuration.)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

I am sure there is an aftermarket tuner/pro-shop that would retrofit the M-Sport seats. If you can do the hardware, I am sure Patryk@BimmerTech will be able to code the seats for you. But that's hardcore...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

[double]
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 04:02 AM   #6
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

That is a pretty messed up decision made by BMW USA imho, seats are probably the most important thing in a car, not allowing your customer to choose one that they are comfortable with is a terrible choice.

I nearly had to order new as I couldn't find and SE with sport seats ready or being made, and then told it would be 10-12 months so I wouldn't see it till October or maybe as late as December, which actually made me decide to not buy one, as I didn't want it arriving a few months before the new X3 was launched. However, just as I had decided to go Disco Sport a used 2013 model turned up in SE, in my chosen black with oyster with xenons and prof media and a few other toys and so I went with that.

Now, having said all that, the sport seats on the X3 I am finding too narrow on the base bolster, the plastic arch (or maybe metal on this?) inside the bolster is far more aggressive than it has been on my last 15 BMWs with sport seats, and does start to dig in a bit after a few hours in the car.
But the SE seat base doesn't tilt enough for me, so wouldn't want them either.

Last edited by gIzzE; 06-20-2015 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: Because I upset Peter_R by using the F word.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

I agree very poor decision. I also want those seats, but you have to order the M-Sport, which I want, but in the USA if you order the M-Sport, you can not order the heated steering wheel (cold weather package) and drivers assistance plus package together. Crazy, as it can be ordered together in the 3 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
That is a pretty messed up decision made by BMW USA imho, seats are probably the most important thing in a car, not allowing your customer to choose one that they are comfortable with is a terrible choice.

I nearly had to order new as I couldn't find and SE with sport seats ready or being made, and then told it would be 10-12 months so I wouldn't see it till October or maybe as late as December, which actually made me decide to not buy one, as I didn't want it arriving a few months before the new X3 was launched. However, just as I had decided to go Disco Sport a used 2013 model turned up in SE, in my chosen black with oyster with xenons and prof media and a few other toys and so I went with that.

Now, having said all that, the sport seats on the X3 I am finding too narrow on the base bolster, the plastic arch (or maybe metal on this?) inside the bolster is far more aggressive than it has been on my last 15 BMWs with sport seats, and does start to dig in a bit after a few hours in the car.
But the SE seat base doesn't tilt enough for me, so wouldn't want them either.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #8
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Mercedes UK are starting to do more packages and seem to be getting it very wrong at the moment.

They have the new C350e Hybrid, it is entitled to a £5000 government grant, however, if you want to add any decent options, like nav, upgraded stereo you have to add the Premium or Premium Plus pack, which also means you get the larger wheels. However, if you add the larger wheels it then goes 1gram above the grant allowance for emissions, meaning you loose the £5000 grant and the personal tax benefits if having it as a company car.

Plus many simply want Nav, which was £1100, it will now cost £2800 with loads of stuff people don't actually want.

It is said they are doing it to help residuals and I suppose keep costs down in production, but people are walking away from buying, not a great thing at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
BookemDano
Private
Rep

Folks,

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree about the marketing decisions - the way they package the option. The sport seat and cold weather package decisions are VERY poor. The sport seat problem is so bad that I may not buy an X3!

After deciding that an X3 was my best option over other small SUVs (Audi, Mercedes, etc), I spent the last month trying to find the best configuration for me. The basic configuration was easy. But the seat issue has been driving me bonkers.

My back and right knee are extremely bad. The knee is a candidate for replacement so I wear a large metal brace until I can spare the time for the surgery. A poor seat will cause my back to spasm and/or the knees to get out of alignment. While a good seat is very important for many people, it's absolutely critical for me. So...

Given the need for a good seat, I tried to like the M Sport. Tried HARD. Analyzed all the M Sport positives and rationalized the heck out of buying one. But something kept blocking blocking me.

Earlier this week, I stopped by a local BMW dealership to just stand and ponder an M Sport and a base model side by side. After awhile it suddenly hit me - the M Sport felt wrong and the base model felt right. Gut feeling. I get warm fuzzies with the base model. It's my kinda car and the M Sport is not.

Because of BMW's stupid marketing decision, I can't buy the car I want - a base model with almost all the options and the sport seat. I'm ready to spend $60K (USD) on an X3 but BMW is blocking me.

Now... Maybe an Audi. Maybe something else. Maybe wait.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. There are some options out there for a replacement seat, but decent ones appear to be $3K each and might cause warranty problems. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
Schmed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E70X5, F25X3

I now have a '13 X3 35i with Sports Activity pkg. with paddle shifters and sport seats.

To get the same, I'm also stuck with buying the M Sport pkg, that I wouldn't otherwise order. That has kept me from ordering a '16 X3, and I took a look at the Audi Q5 and SQ5 the other day.

For about the same price as a moderately loaded up X3 35i, you can get a 345 HP Audi SQ5 with sport seats, paddle shifters, a fantastic sound, etc.

I'm not an Audi guy, but as it looks now, that's the way I'm heading.
      06-23-2015, 03:50 AM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I was given an SQ5 for the day before getting the X3, mate of mine at Audi really wanted me to get one, and to be fair to Audi it is a cracker. The residuals, in the UK at least, are also one of the best out there, so even though an SQ5 was coming in some £5000 more than a 35d X3, the monthly payments were the same.

It was a quick car too, faster than the 35d, or it felt faster but Audi do love to give that big torque shove on their power curves. But it felt great.

Only problem right now is the new one is probably coming end of the year...

http://newreleasedate2017.com/2016-a...price-changes/

And the current one is starting to look a little dated against the new Q3 and Q7 etc.

But even though Audis can feel a little numb, they tend to work OK in an SUV so worth testing one.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:36 PM   #12
BookemDano
Private
Rep

I've given up on the X3

Yesterday, I spoke with my BMW salesman and gave him the sad (to him) news - I was NOT buying an X3. I can't get the sport seat in the non-M Sport and I don't like the M-Sport. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. I will NOT spend $60K+ and get a compromise. That's dumb and leaves me very frustrated.

I think that BMW is slacking off. Their cars and SUVs have been highly rated for a long time. But Audi gave them competition with the Q5 and there a couple of other decent options. And, for 2016/2017 Audi and Mercedes are upping the ante.

The new 2017 Audi Q5 is coming at the end of this year or the beginning of next. It looks quite interesting.

The bigger news is that Mercedes just announced the GLC class. Late this year (probably November) Mercedes is replacing their legacy (old) GLK with the 2016 GLC - a totally new compact SUV with same dimensions as the Q5 and X3. It has some very nice features including moderate off-road capabilities and air suspension. The exterior looks very nice and the interior is gorgeous (IMO). (See pics below.)

If you want to see for yourself what the GLC interior will be like, drop into a Mercedes dealer and check out the C300. The interior looks virtually identical. I did that and was totally amazed at the quality, fit, and finish. The seat was supportive, comfortable, and had extensible thigh support. The controls were well laid out and seemed very easy to use. (Of course, I only spent about 15 minutes using them.)

Here's a video of the GLC showing it's softroad/offroad chops:

And one showing a hybrid version with some onroad and offroad footage:

I've wasted a lot of time trying to like the X3. But BMW makes it impossible for me. If the new Audi Q5 or Mercedes GLC are even reasonably close to what they are being promoted as, I'm buying one of them.

BMW, take notice. Mercedes Benz and Audi are gunnin' for you. Your compact SUV market share may drop drastically in 2017. And it will be your own fault.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. Check out the GLC gear shift. Can't find it? It doesn't have one. They only come with paddle shifters!

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:37 AM   #13
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

The new C Class interior (W205) is sublime.

Plus the new 350e is getting some very good reports, owners are reporting a combined mpg of around 45mpg, which for a gas car that does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds is superb.

A GLC350e is definitely something I would consider.
Appreciate 0