BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: f25

Cargo power outlet to be "switched"

Anybody know how to make the power outlet in cargo area to be switched ON only when engine is ON...not live all the time?
I want to connect my son's dvd player without being ON all the time and risk the chance of draining the battery.
If I connect 12v extension cord with LED light indicator drain the battery somewhat even when not in use?...I know I can just get an ON/Off switch but wanted to see if there's a better solution...Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

There is no user access to the programming of the 12V. accessory outlets, and trying to hack the X3's code is probably a very bad idea.

You could always run your extension cable to the front outlet near the cup holders which is switched on when the engine is running and when the car is in "radio standby" mode. It switches off after 5 to 15 minutes when the engine is shut off, so won't run down the battery.

The 12V. outlet in the central compartment under the armrest is also switched off, but with a longer delay. I checked mine once after 30 minutes and it was still on, but after one hour it had shut off. It will go back on immediately if any door is opened. Not sure if it's switched off by a timer or if it shuts off when the battery drops to a predetermined voltage.

I haven't actually checked the one in the cargo area to determine if it really stays on or is switched like the one in the central compartment. It's not easy to check, because if it is switched, as soon as you open the hatch it will probably come back on. You need to connect a LED that can be seen with all of the doors closed.

I do know that each of the 12V. outlets is on a separate circuit and is independently fused.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

thanks Lotus...I never really checked if the cargo outlet turns off after a while. I'll check it out! I really don't want to run a wire from the front console outlet to the back seat...I like it neat on the front.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoka View Post
thanks Lotus...I never really checked if the cargo outlet turns off after a while. I'll check it out! I really don't want to run a wire from the front console outlet to the back seat...I like it neat on the front.
A wire from the outlet in the center arm rest slipped under the back edge of the door might actually be shorter and neater than one going all the way to the rear cargo area. A small DVD player could sit on the flat topped transmission tunnel.

It would also give you full control of the player. If your son does not pay attention because of being transfixed by the video, you can always "pull the plug"
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
A wire from the outlet in the center arm rest slipped under the back edge of the door might actually be shorter and neater than one going all the way to the rear cargo area. A small DVD player could sit on the flat topped transmission tunnel.

It would also give you full control of the player. If your son does not pay attention because of being transfixed by the video, you can always "pull the plug"
pretty good idea!...i like that I can pull the plug cause he always tunes me out thanks again
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

checked out cargo power outlet also disables after 10 mins...or so. Managed to finish my dvd install!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoka View Post
checked out cargo power outlet also disables after 10 mins...or so. Managed to finish my dvd install!
Glad it worked out.
Not surprised it has the delayed turn-off since it's the norm for the other outlets. It would be nice if the automatic shut off was a user option for people who might want to run a small thermoelectric cooler in the cargo area for a few hours while parked and know enough to not run the battery down.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Lefty_Russ
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3

Wow, am I glad I found this thread!

I have a 2004 X3 and recently noticed that my cargo power outlet doesn't work. I plugged in my Blackberry charger (it has a red power light) and started the car. Nothing.

The glovebox's fusebox diagram refers to the cigarette lighter and a socket, both on fuse slot 47 (amber 20 amp). The fuse is fine. I am assuming the diagram is referring to the lighter in the front, and the socket in the back of the console. So that leaves the cargo power outlet unaccounted for.

Am I looking at the wrong fusebox? Is there another? I haven't removed the outlet yet to test the wiring. I'll need to figure out how to remove the panel.

I'm open to ideas. I am leaving on vacation in a few days and I would like to use the outlet for powering my daughter's DVD player.

On a side note, I'm also looking for a new tan door for my power outlet on the back of the console. The door was damaged when I had my GPS plugged into it and then I lowered the backseat. The middle headrest clobbered the console's power outlet door it pretty hard.

Any insight you can share is appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Lefty,

This forum is for the Second Generation X3, the F25, which is model year 2011 and forward.

You'll likely get better responses if you post your question in the First Generation X3 forum. You'll find it at http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Good luck, and I hope that you get a good response to your question.
Appreciate 0