BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Metal sill plate reflection in rear view mirror

Anyone else notice that the metal plates on the cargo loading deck cause a reflection on the inside of the rear hatch glass. The rear of my cargo cover hangs down slightly, and leaves a gap which allows sunlight to reflect off the metal plates back on the inside of the heated rear window. The reflection impacts the view in the rearview mirror significantly in sunny weather. Checked other X3 cargo covers at local dealer, and they all sag similarly.
Searched the forum, but have not seen any other posts on this.
Anyone else have this, or better yet a fix?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Haven't notice that reflection, but the off-white plastic under the small rear side windows looks like the reflection of a car hood sometimes when looking to change lanes. Thought it just me, but the other day my wife was driving and went to change lanes and quickly jerked back into her lane. No car there, just the reflection.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Haven't notice that reflection, but the off-white plastic under the small rear side windows looks like the reflection of a car hood sometimes when looking to change lanes. Thought it just me, but the other day my wife was driving and went to change lanes and quickly jerked back into her lane. No car there, just the reflection.
Definitely.

I have had my X3 since early February and it has taken much time to get used to this.

Anyone else?

I have also seen the reflection of the metal piece in the rear window, but that does not bother me anywhere near as much as lane change reflection issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Yes, noticed both and was annoyed at first, but I guess I'm used to it now and don't notice it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
+1 one this

I keep expecting to "learn" it and be able to filter out that car part from another car off the corner. Isn't happening yet!
      08-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
I've had the same issue, but seem to be getting used to it now.