BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

Just ordered a new X3, Scared myself.

Silly now as I've just lashed out around 34K on a car, way more than I've ever spent before.

I have had two previous BMW's both used and both 320 tourings. My Car at the moment is a 320i Msport touring 2007 plate. Great car, great fun but it's time for a change. After the shocking winter we've had, which saw my car parked up for 2 weeks, I thought the next one is going to be a 4 wheel drive. Obviously the new X3 was on my wish list, but in reality way out of my price range, or so I thought.
I had 20k max budget, looked at the Skoda Yeti (6 month lead time), Ford Kuga and the Volkswagon Tiguan. All these cars came in between 23500 and 26K, we test drove them all. The wife was shocked by the price of all and the complete downgrade in quality compared to the BMW.
Just for fun I booked a test drive at Sytner Cardiff. They gave the 2.0D SE X3automatic for an hour! No sales guy in the car and she instantly loved it. So much so, she said do you know our saving locked away for our retirement, what if we use some to finanance the car? Obviously I played it cool and said are you sure, this is a 30k plus car. She said yeah lets go for it, my chin hit the dash. Couldn't get a discount off the car at all from Cardiff, so drove to Newport where the guys were far more laid back. Managed to get nigh on 1k off a X3 SE, Metallic Black, Oyster Leather, Panoramic Sunroof, Fineline Trim, Xenons, Heated seats, and bluetooth prep. Kept the Standard Alloys and Tyre as I've had no end of problems with run flats on my touring and they have cost me a fortune, 4 nails in the tyres over 2 years, cost me over £700.
I considered the dynamic control but the test drive car had it, and couldn't tell the difference unless I tanked it through a roundabout. Finally I have been given a confirmed week 27-28 build. Hopefully first week on July. Sorry for the long first post but I wanted to get my 34k worth!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Congrats on your new purchase!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Sucks for you guys in the UK. I would never take only a 3% discount in the US and we already have good pricing. Congrats on the car, I do wish we had D in the US but for some reason they don't think they will sell.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Congrats on the purchase. Picked up my X35i about 3 weeks ago and it's almost identical to yours as far as exterior, interior and options, except I did notice enough difference in the DHP on my test drive that I added that as well.

Gets a ton of looks on the road, especially on sunny days - the metallic in the sapphire black looks incredible in sunlight!

I've noticed that I now put a lot more things in the cargo area that I used to just toss in the backseat due to the Oyster color but have to say that after almost a month of ownership, the color contrast between the leather, stitching, dark wood and darker trim still make me smile every time I get in the car. Just looks the perfect balance of elegant and sporty IMO, especially with the black exterior.

You're going to love your car and I bet, like me, you'll wish the nav routes offered a "longest" route option!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Picked up my X35i about 3 weeks ago and it's almost identical to yours as far as exterior, interior and options, except I did notice enough difference in the DHP on my test drive that I added that as well.

Gets a ton of looks on the road, especially on sunny days - the metallic in the sapphire black looks incredible in sunlight!

I've noticed that I now put a lot more things in the cargo area that I used to just toss in the backseat due to the Oyster color but have to say that after almost a month of ownership, the color contrast between the leather, stitching, dark wood and darker trim still make me smile every time I get in the car. Just looks the perfect balance of elegant and sporty IMO, especially with the black exterior.

You're going to love your car and I bet, like me, you'll wish the nav routes offered a "longest" route option!
Any pics of your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
...and she instantly loved it. So much so, she said do you know our saving locked away for our retirement, what if we use some to finance the car? Obviously I played it cool and said are you sure, this is a 30k plus car. She said yeah lets go for it, my chin hit the dash.
Obvious congrats on ordering the car, but bigger and more deserved congratulations on picking such an astute spouse. Many women couldn't tell the difference and could care less. Hopefully, she'll let you drive it once in a while!

Now you just have to patient and put up with the long wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Welcome pugger and congrats

I pick up my black sapphire/oyster X3 early next month and will post pics to keep you going during your long wait

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Welcome Pugger and congratulations on your purchase. It’s well worth the wait and you won’t regret spending a bit more than you wanted.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Thanks for all the replies.

Mako, As for discount, it was bloody hard work getting the 1K. In the Cardiff dealership they offered a free £350 service pack but nothing off the Car. The dealers have us all ends up, they can't get the cars and they have a list of people waiting, they say why should they discount?

Tauvil, your comments have reassured us that we have made the right choice with regards to colours. My Wife and Son had the most say I, I was most worried about the fineline trim as in the brouchers it looks a bit odd. If you do have any pic's that would be great.

And BIMMER UK, pictures would be appreciated, the only time I have seen the car in the UK is when I test drove it!. I have another test drive on Saturday, another hour on my own. Can't wait.

By the way can anyone with the Sunroof answer the question my son asked the dealer. Does the glass fully retract when opened? As the dealer had yet to see a sunroof model he didn't know.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

On my US car only the front panel of the sunroof retracts.
      03-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
On my US car only the front panel of the sunroof retracts.
Fabric cover on the glass panel retracts fully but the glass only on the front panel.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Welcome! don't forget the pics when your car gets delivered!

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Embarrassingly I don't know the answer despite having a sunroof (UK spec). I'm 95% sure it's as Nahoa and jaymk5 have described but I'll check it out later and if it's any different, I'll let you know

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

So that's another X3 driving around Cardiff and you could get yours before me despite me ordering in December!!

I also found Cardiff BMW unwilling to move on price, I think max I got was £500, never tried newport, but Swansea were more willing.

In fact popped down Newport yesterday to get my X3 fix and was pleased to see a mineral silver-colour inject ordered-looks great
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Thanks for the answers regarding the Sunroof, I assumed it didn't retract fully as it would be like a whirlwind in the car. I will of course post pics when I eventually get it, I think I got a Week 27/28 date as someone had cancelled an order a day before. Well that's the story I was given, I'm not holding the date as set in stone mind, but I do have it in writting.

Andrew ob, yeah the mineral silver is the demonstartor I've got for an hour on Saturday. I'm going to take it backdown the M4 to Cardiff, then take over some of the pitted roads around the Heath and then go back via the old Cardiff/Newport road. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Just a quick update. Had a 2 hour test drive yesterday, must admit the 2.0D is one hell of an engine. Besides getting stuck in the traffic heading into the cardiff for Rugby, we had a great time. Although the amount ive spent still scares me, I'm sure I've made the right choice. We finalised our spec for the car also. Black Sapphire, Sienna Trim, Oyster leather, Panoramic Sunroof, heated Seats, Xline,Xenon's and Sports Steering Wheel.

With regard to delivery Date, we were incredibly lucky. A car was cancelled a few days prior to our visit to the dealership. However they took the decision to leave the car on order as they were sure they would get an order or 2 before it went to production. So it's the first week of July hopefully, Then in August were off over for a drive down the Romantic Road in Germany, down to Munich.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #17
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
Just a quick update. Had a 2 hour test drive yesterday, must admit the 2.0D is one hell of an engine. Besides getting stuck in the traffic heading into the cardiff for Rugby, we had a great time. Although the amount ive spent still scares me, I'm sure I've made the right choice. We finalised our spec for the car also. Black Sapphire, Sienna Trim, Oyster leather, Panoramic Sunroof, heated Seats, Xline,Xenon's and Sports Steering Wheel.

With regard to delivery Date, we were incredibly lucky. A car was cancelled a few days prior to our visit to the dealership. However they took the decision to leave the car on order as they were sure they would get an order or 2 before it went to production. So it's the first week of July hopefully, Then in August were off over for a drive down the Romantic Road in Germany, down to Munich.

Congrats on your order.
Have put your lottery ticket on, if not you should.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Black Sapphire, Sienna Trim, Oyster leather, Panoramic Sunroof, heated Seats, Xline,Xenon's and Sports Steering Wheel.
We have good taste Pugger

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #19
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
We have good taste Pugger
Yeah I think the black with the xline looks great. The interior was chosen by the wife.
I like your spec'd car also, I'm still undecided about the auto box. It's the only X3 i have driven mind, kept trying to change down when come to lights and found the car grinding to a halt in a hail of smoke!! Is the auto a must?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I was going to get a manual, test drove a manual and then an auto and went for auto - I just thought it was so much better. Offset pedals are more of a problem in the manual also.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #21
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

It's ridicules isn't it. The extras in my car amount up to a good spec BMW 1-series!

Hope you enjoy the car. It will be worth it I'm sure! Like your spec!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #22
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Sfax I read about the offset pedals in the whatcar review, they didn't think they were too bad, well not as bad as the Q5!. Hopefully they are not too bad as if i'm being honest the exta £1500 for Auto box is really pushing it. With regards to my spec I would be happy if anyone suggested other options I should consider or get ones I should get rid of. I didn't go down the sat nav route as I have a nicely spec tom tom.
Appreciate 0