BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
ReggieDoodle
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 M30

Trailer lights overload

I have a 2012 30D uk spec with a factory pop out electric tow bar. I won’t go into the problems that presents but would like some advice on a warning I often get on the I drive.

All lights work fine before I leave home. Always check. Then sometime into the journey I get a warning on the dash about trailer electrics overload. Looking in the mirrors I can tell the front running lights are now off so presumably rear ones are too as they are piggybacked but I know indicators still work as people move over on the motorway when I want to pull out.

Any suggestions ? Sounds like a loose wire or something but can’t find one.

Only posts I’ve seen online around this are related to folks retro fitting towbar electrics. Mine are factory.

Tks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
gcapiel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Hi, Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm having this issue shortly after I start towing my Airstream with Lithium batteries.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 06:01 AM   #3
TheRealNo7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 530d xDrive

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem.

Connect my trailer lights (Brian James) and all lights work fine for a 3-5mins then I get the overload message on the iDrive and I can see in the mirrors that the right side driving lights are off but left side are still burning. So partially lit.

Any ideas of how to resolve this please?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #4
gcapiel
Registered
Rep

For me it turned out it was the 7-Way connector pins needed to be bent outwards slightly to make better contact and we also added a healthy amount of dielectric grease.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 09:11 AM   #5
Roy Berks
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1

Hi, I have the same problem.
Connect my caravan, all was good for 70 miles then message on dash and no right hand road lights. Couldn't fix it but when I connected caravan a week later every thing worked for 10 miles then same problem. Each time the lights stopped working they didn't come back on. What I did notice was that if I connected up, the lights would flash on then go off & stay off. The message on the dash is that the trailer electrics are overloaded, I did turn the fridge off but that made no difference. Although I have towed miles with the caravan with no problem, this has only happened after I changed my car.
I have had it back to BMW but everything was okay on car, I saw them check with their meter & everything was fine. I have checked everything on caravan but all the electrics are good. I don't know how informed BMW dealers are with their towbars as I don't suppose they come across them everyday.
Did you resolve the problem? If you did please could you let me know how.

Regards Roy

Last edited by Roy Berks; 11-15-2022 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Additional information added.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:03 AM   #6
gcapiel
Registered
Rep

See my answer above. I have to redo the fix every few months as the dielectric grease needs to be replenished or the pins readjusted.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #7
Roy Berks
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1

Thank you for your reply gcapiel.
I see yours is a 7 pin connector, mine is a 13 pin plug which I have always found a much tighter fit. Your reply has made me think, I had a new 13 pin plug fitted when I last had my caravan serviced and it has been since then that I have had this problem. I have opened up the plug and checked the wiring and all is good but next time I get the van out I am going to give all the pins a coating of dielectric grease and if that doesn't work I will fit a different make plug in case the plug itself is dodgy.

Last edited by Roy Berks; 11-17-2022 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Additional information added.
Appreciate 0